Author Topic: Willy Warmer 2018  (Read 10925 times)

Re: Willy Warmer 2018
« Reply #50 on: 18 January, 2022, 06:17:14 pm »
I have adjusted the route and have made it 200km. 
Or you could just ride round the car park at the finish to get to 200km.

« Reply #51 on: 20 January, 2022, 01:04:16 am »
But that doesn't work officially unless it is GPS validated. I've got to go through Chalfont to get to the start so could ECE it with the 18km each way.

« Reply #52 on: 20 January, 2022, 08:28:27 am »
I have adjusted the route and have made it 200km. 
Or you could just ride round the car park at the finish to get to 200km.

I think the only circuits I will be doing at the end is of food outlets in the services.

« Reply #53 on: 20 January, 2022, 09:12:44 am »
Or you could just get your completed brevet card stamped at the arivee per normal and s0d the 'missing' odd 3ks?
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #54 on: 20 January, 2022, 09:37:02 am »
Ofc! I just thought audax kms could be over distance but never under.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #55 on: 20 January, 2022, 12:18:27 pm »
Ofc! I just thought audax kms could be over distance but never under.
I think it happens occasionally with the long-held events but nobody mentions it. Mapping software makes new events a little easier to police.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #56 on: 20 January, 2022, 01:32:13 pm »
But that doesn't work officially unless it is GPS validated. I've got to go through Chalfont to get to the start so could ECE it with the 18km each way.
I'm pretty sure when everyone gets back and hands their card over, they will all be validated. If you want to ride a few extra kms to salve your conscience, no one else will ask for proof. I'll be riding 13km each way to/from the event, where I probably would have driven to chalfont.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #57 on: 20 January, 2022, 03:58:50 pm »
I did notice the GPS trace was under distance.  However, my experience is that my riding distance is always a % or two more than a planned route so I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up in the region of 200km. 

« Reply #58 on: 20 January, 2022, 11:24:09 pm »
Is it safe to assume there’ll be ice on the route? Lower pressure in tyres, any other advice one should heed?

« Reply #59 on: 21 January, 2022, 11:03:48 am »
This time of year in low single digit temps you’ll get colder on a 200 than you will on a 2-3 hour ride.  Partly fatigue, partly just the amount of time you are out in the cold.  If driving to this audax then throw some dry and warm layers into your car. You can change into them when you finish and before you cool.   Keep stops short unless inside a warm cafe etc.  Carry a layer to throw on when stopped.

If you want a relatively quick stop but also warm up, a hot chocolate can help.  If you carry a small flask, you can pour the hot chocolate in, get going, and drink the chocolate later when it’s cooled a little bit. Carrying a small flask was a pandemic, nothing open, thing for me, I like it for quick hot drink stops.

The other thing I do in these times is lateral flow tests day before, and don’t turn up with cold like symptoms.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #60 on: 21 January, 2022, 10:22:40 pm »
Is it safe to assume there’ll be ice on the route? Lower pressure in tyres, any other advice one should heed?
a second pair of gloves may be luxury later in the ride. either if it rains and water gets in, or even if your hands get warm and sweat in the gloves.

« Reply #61 on: 22 January, 2022, 10:04:38 pm »
Cold at western end. I took my mitts off to eat outside the church in Lambourn . Even when mitts back on and after that long drag up the hills my hands were cold. Took a while for the hands to get back to operating temps.  Thanks to Paul for a lovely if cold day out.  No ice in the end.

« Reply #62 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:18:58 pm »
Cold at western end. I took my mitts off to eat outside the church in Lambourn . Even when mitts back on and after that long drag up the hills my hands were cold. Took a while for the hands to get back to operating temps.  Thanks to Paul for a lovely if cold day out.  No ice in the end.
Ditto…after Hungerford, I couldn’t feel anything with my fingers until a few km’s before Kingsclere when they eventually got a lovely warm tingling feeling as they came back to life! I did have another pair of gloves that I could’ve used to double up with, but decided to suffer instead ::-)
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #63 on: 23 January, 2022, 11:08:49 am »
That was a good day out. Rode with Chris Beynon, who patiently waited for me while I warmed up (took about 40 miles). Rode a gravel bike with 35mm knobbly tyres as was expecting ice and muck, which were mercifully absent apart from one tricky sandy descent, so spent most of the ride telling myself it was all good resistance training and I'd get the benefit later. Due to the cold we both ended up under-eating so stopped impromptu at the Iron Duke pub 10k after Kingsclere, as Chris was gutted that the Tutti Pole was not serving Sticky Toffee pudding. By a small miracle they were still serving food and the afore-mentioned object of Chris's desire was on the menu. Prompt service and hot drinks set us up for the last leg and we finished at 6pm. So nice to see so many new faces and big numbers riding - looking forward to the rest of the season even more now. Big thanks to Paul and the team for running this for the 18th? time.

« Reply #64 on: 23 January, 2022, 11:21:22 am »
Really enjoyed that, the 1st I can remember that didn’t involve ice or rain of biblical proportions. Even having a full milk carton tossed at me out of a car full of yobs didn’t take the gloss off for long. Thanks to Manotea and his merry band
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #65 on: 23 January, 2022, 01:24:48 pm »
Most(ly) enjoyable! Started with a good pace and nice chats until Pangbourne, after which I found the rolling route quite sapping, exacerbated by my usual slump between 100-150km and a puncture, of which there seemed to be quite a few throughout the day with the hedges recently cut. A double espresso and baked beans on toast at the Java Cafe in Winnersh restored my mojo and the last night section on quiet fast roads was very pleasant.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #66 on: 24 January, 2022, 11:36:27 am »
enjoyed this ride, with the relocated start meaning I could ride to the event instead of driving.
set off alone at 8, perfectly timed to be passed by my club mates on the Marlow to Henley road, saw veyr few other riders until Pangbourne where all the cafes looked busy, so I skipped the bacon roll I'd been looking forward to and visited co-op instead.
Never really seemed to warm up, in fact I'm sure it was colder at Lambourn as I could see my breath on the big climb. Then down to Hungerford and the Tutti Pole cafe with warnings of being understaffed from other riders and the staff themselves. Still glad I persisted as I met familiar faces to chat, had a good feed, used the facilities and was out within 30 minutes. Then on to Kingsclere and finally some company on the ride as I got swept up by a friendly group of seven ladies, it was nice to spend to miles to Winnersh chatting and taking turns out of the wind.
Quick stop at Sainsburys with someone who looked old enough to know better running a techno rave out of his car as he drove round the car park, and then the flat miles to Maidenhead providing a nice rest ready for the last climb in the dark. Managed to reach the finish at a similar time to several others.
Not an especially fast time for a 200, weather was benign and my power levels are not too bad according to my turbo trainer sessions, perhaps it was excess weight, cleaning and lubing the chain would certainly have helped.