Author Topic: ACME Christmas Permanents  (Read 6562 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
ACME Christmas Permanents
« on: 15 November, 2021, 07:42:37 pm »
Pre-pandemic we've occasionally done of my 200s, around Christmas/New Year to banish the blues/work off the Christmas cake etc, so I thought it was time to revive the idea ...

All welcome of course, (it's the ACME way) and maybe a just do a 100km, or even notanaudax for those allergic (OD)? 10:00 start so suitable for ECE-style for those wanting to ride a DIY 200? I am planning a pair of Hopstock Beer Festival Audaxes for 20th August next year, so would like to trial the 110km BP route. I'm working on the routesheet (for those who would do it as a mandatory route DIY) but basically it's an out-and-back run from the Compasses to Spoke Cafe near Codicote. I've been in touch with them (they're refreshingly keen to help - and I've been in there a few times during the pandemic) and I hope to have the definitive route sorted by sometime next week. It's lumpy, features two fords, of dubious rideability and is very laney: not so great if it's freezing or very wet. Plan B (weather-related wimping-out) would perhaps feature breakfast and a shorter sociable ride, then heading back to the Compasses.

I'm hoping for a club-run type of ride (depending on numbers and who 'ECEs' to a 200 and wants to crack on) with a long lunch break and evening meal at the Compasses.

I've spoken to Josser and pencilled in Wednesday 29th December. Book your breakfast there in advance if required. That's the MEMWNS venue sorted for later then?

If there's the demand for another ride then the Richard Ellis 100km permanent coulld be an option for another day, maybe before Christmas? I rode it reversed on Saturday and it's a lovely ride, though I say so myself!

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: ACME Christmas Permanents
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2021, 10:52:24 pm »
Tomsk;

If it's going to be an official AUK 100 perm there's no problem to ECE (P) it to 200 via the usual process and I'll offer this for free! :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2021, 05:25:42 am »
Sounds good. I’ll most probably make the 29th Dec and ECE (P) if conditions allow. Thanks for the ‘discount’ offer GdS.

The pre-Christmas ride will depend on which day. As a hint, I have been known to ride a 200 on Christmas Eve to make good early progress on the Festive 500. Or the weekend before?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2021, 08:20:55 am »
Tomsk;

If it's going to be an official AUK 100 perm there's no problem to ECE (P) it to 200 via the usual process and I'll offer this for free! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Cheers! I'm definitely going for the sociable ride option. I'll have done my 200 for the month by then.

Sounds good. I’ll most probably make the 29th Dec and ECE (P) if conditions allow. Thanks for the ‘discount’ offer GdS.

The pre-Christmas ride will depend on which day. As a hint, I have been known to ride a 200 on Christmas Eve to make good early progress on the Festive 500. Or the weekend before?

If enough want to ride a Christmas Eve 100/200, Festive 500 or not then I'd be up for that. By Christmas Eve I'll have got catering organised and shouldn't have anything else on. Lets see who else can do the 24th.

« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2021, 01:06:37 pm »
I could be tempted by a Christmas Eve ride, especially if I duck out of the Santa Special again. Would require careful negotiations, but as I'm away after Christmas, it might be the only opportunity I get...
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2021, 01:19:49 pm »
Codicote is very near here. Hmmm. Though I'm not sure about a 200km at Christmas.

felstedrider

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2021, 01:32:33 pm »
I'm slated to work until Midday Christmas Eve but it will be from home so I can possibly catch you all on the road somewhere.   Technically working 29th as well but I'll think a bit more nearer the time.

Spiritual Home has a quiz night Tue 21st.  I realise it's not the usual club night, though.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2021, 02:23:50 pm »
Codicote is very near here. Hmmm. Though I'm not sure about a 200km at Christmas.

Or just ride from Codicote to the Compasses and back - would be an early-ish start to get to breakfast for say 09:00?

« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2021, 02:33:49 pm »
I would be interested in tagging along for a 100 if it isn’t going to be too speedy.  Fast isn’t a word I associate with myself when it comes to cycling.  As for dates, and family stuff allowing, I can do either 24th or 29th at the moment.

« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2021, 06:12:39 pm »
Or just ride from Codicote to the Compasses and back - would be an early-ish start to get to breakfast for say 09:00?
And then back to finish the event? And then back again afterwards? :o

Of course, if I just rode from here to Codicote, it would be a nice, late start to get there in time for the lunch stop. That may be more my kind of riding. Permanents don't need controllers. Or that would be a good excuse...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2021, 03:45:27 pm »
I would be interested in tagging along for a 100 if it isn’t going to be too speedy.  Fast isn’t a word I associate with myself when it comes to cycling.  As for dates, and family stuff allowing, I can do either 24th or 29th at the moment.

A gentlemanly pace I should think. By 29th I should be well weighed down by Christmas food. 20kph and at least an hour for lunch at Spoke = 7 hours, & back for about 17:00 at the Compasses = pre-dinner drinks. Anyone dashing around on a 200 DIY will be long gone though.

« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2021, 04:10:54 pm »
A gentlemanly pace I should think.

I'm going to carry this quote on the day, and use as evidence in case the velocity gets a bit lively.

By 29th I should be well weighed down by Christmas food. 20kph and at least an hour for lunch at Spoke = 7 hours, & back for about 17:00 at the Compasses = pre-dinner drinks. Anyone dashing around on a 200 DIY will be long gone though.

For me, if I ECE, I'd probably aim for 60km before, and 40km after. Using 20kph, 1 hr each for breakfast and lunch, and 2 hours for dinner, that would mean starting at 6am, and I'd be home by 8pm. That sounds quite relaxing  :)

« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2021, 04:51:49 pm »
It's lumpy, features two fords, of dubious rideability and is very laney:

Hadham and Barwick fords?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2021, 05:47:29 pm »
It's lumpy, features two fords, of dubious rideability and is very laney:

Hadham and Barwick fords?

Indeed, yes - I know someone on a CTC clubrun who caught a 'tramline' in Barwick and went down - it's a wide and deep-ish ford with quite a slimy bottom and the water is fast-flowing too ... Hadham is more benign and I have ridden it no problem, but the entry and exit is very rough and steep up to the immediate T junction with the lane. I tend to favour the foot bridges (Barwick's has a step each end, but Hadham's can be ridden straight through). I'll be advising the footbridge option in both cases.

« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2021, 06:34:39 pm »
They are on my usual route to Dunmow if ECEing your events.   I’ve seen a colleague go down in Barwick Ford and get very wet.  The Hadham one was flooded quite a bit either side last winter.  I usually take the footbridge and walking approach these days rather than my gung ho attitude of old.

« Reply #15 on: 17 November, 2021, 07:13:57 pm »
I regularly ride both fords, well, the footbridge in both cases. Taken at a slow enough speed the steps up onto and off the Barwick footbridge can be navigated without a foot down, even on fixed.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 21 November, 2021, 05:55:18 pm »
Mrs Tomsk and I checked the 'Hopstock' 110km route by car today. Spoke cafe will be open if we ride a DIY on 29th December, but they'll be closing early at 14:00. We should be ok getting there for lunch around 13:00 based on a 10:00 start from the Compasses. All weather permitting of course, but I'll let them know we're coming. They're keen to host the Hopstock events in August and they'd also like an ACME cap for their display!

The food is good - we had an excellent lunch there. For future reference, I noticed they had some Belgian beers available ...

I'll have a route sheet written-up in a day or two.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 22 November, 2021, 08:31:26 pm »
I have a route sheet written up for the 114km BP route if anyone wants to compare with gps tracks. (114km minimum distance according to Mrs Google today - 123km as per the advisory route ...) And 692m ascent.

« Reply #18 on: 22 November, 2021, 09:44:24 pm »
I have a route sheet written up for the 114km BP route if anyone wants to compare with gps tracks. (114km minimum distance according to Mrs Google today - 123km as per the advisory route ...) And 692m ascent.

I can put it in RidewithGPS and share the link, if there isn’t one available already.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 24 November, 2021, 03:42:41 pm »

I can put it in RidewithGPS and share the link, if there isn’t one available already.

Emailed to you, thanks ...

I've also checked with Sonia at the Maglia Rosso re: Christmas Eve: they're open every day except Christmas & Boxing Days, but will close early NY Eve and possibly others if they're quiet or the weather is lousy. I said we're likely to be there for lunch and would let them know if we ride and how many. Spoke likewise for 29th. I'll remind about booking breakfast at the Compasses in a few weeks time and that reminds me, I must call into Paradise Cafe here to check out their holiday arrangements.

Update: MR Cafe are closing at 14:00 on 24th, and offering a limited menu. Should still be ok on a 10:00 start?

« Reply #20 on: 24 November, 2021, 06:35:15 pm »
If you need any checking Spokes end let me know.  I’m out and about fairly often on the roads you are likely to be coming in on.

« Reply #21 on: 24 November, 2021, 06:45:35 pm »
A gentlemanly pace I should think. By 29th I should be well weighed down by Christmas food. 20kph and at least an hour for lunch at Spoke = 7 hours, & back for about 17:00 at the Compasses = pre-dinner drinks. Anyone dashing around on a 200 DIY will be long gone though.

I can manage that pace,  even after a little diet spoiling Christmas excess.  I better consult with the boss and request a day pass but I should be in.

« Reply #22 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:04:29 pm »
If you need any checking Spokes end let me know.  I’m out and about fairly often on the roads you are likely to be coming in on.
In the spirit of adamski's Essex and Suffolk event, maybe some of us should start with breakfast at Spokes and ride the wrong way round to lunch at the Compasses, crossing twice in the day with the main field?

If any of us were mad enough to try to start from Codicote and make the end of breakfast at Littley Green, could we register for a backwards permanent and finish at lunch?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:27:37 pm »
In the spirit of adamski's Essex and Suffolk event, maybe some of us should start with breakfast at Spokes and ride the wrong way round to lunch at the Compasses, crossing twice in the day with the main field?

If any of us were mad enough to try to start from Codicote and make the end of breakfast at Littley Green, could we register for a backwards permanent and finish at lunch?

It'll be a DIY, so what ever you want to do! Though I might turn it into a permanent, (the 200km Bricks and Moretaine starts from Braintree - though I start from home, which is on the route), but I'd probably start from Dunmow, or at least somewhere with 24-hour proof of passage. Direct route is a little short, but Dunmow-Sawbridgeworth-Codicote is 52.5km, with a virtually identical route. Braintree is well over-distance at 125km. There'll always be bonus kilometres with one of my routes, but then you wouldn't really want to ride there on the A120, A602 etc ...

On 24th I'm thinking of a reversed Richard Ellis Memorial 100km, though others might use the route incorporated into a 200. I'm also thinking of going to the Maglia Rosso then via Whepstead, just for a bit of variety and some bonus kms.

« Reply #24 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:50:16 pm »
Makes note to read rules for DIY; never done one. But that would mean I didn't need to start by going a bit south to Codicote :thumbsup: