Author Topic: A random racing thread for non Grand Tour stuff.  (Read 49226 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: A random racing thread for non Grand Tour stuff.
« Reply #75 on: 13 March, 2016, 09:26:38 pm »
Paris-Nice.  Geraint Thomas, by a gnat's whisker.  See your preferred results web site.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #76 on: 14 March, 2016, 01:15:11 pm »
It was nail-biting stuff. Well done to Contador for animating the stage. Well done to Henao, Roche etc and Thomas, of course, for being able to respond. Just.

« Reply #77 on: 15 March, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »
Chapeau to GVA, it doesn't get much tighter than that!

« Reply #78 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:05:42 pm »

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #79 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:38:25 pm »
I watched the stage looking for these towing motorbikes. They are a figment of Yates' imagination.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #80 on: 16 March, 2016, 06:44:09 am »
There’s no way they [Sky] would have shut that down.

Methinks Mr Yates has an axe to grind. Contador didn't seem bothered.

« Reply #81 on: 16 March, 2016, 08:01:56 am »
I watched the stage looking for these towing motorbikes. They are a figment of Yates' imagination.

Perhaps he is still suffering from the effects of riding with LA and rational outcomes are difficult to comprehend.  Subtle reporting here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/11206202/Sean-Yates-returns-as-sporting-director-with-Tinkoff-Saxo-alongside-former-Team-Sky-colleague-Bobby-Julich.html

« Reply #82 on: 28 March, 2016, 09:04:27 am »
Will the uci and race organisers now finally address the increasing number of incidents with motorbikes?

http://road.cc/content/news/184184-team-wanty-gober-rider-antoine-demoiti%C3%A9-dies-after-gent-wevelgem-crash

RIP

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #83 on: 28 March, 2016, 10:02:50 am »
Will the uci and race organisers now finally address the increasing number of incidents with motorbikes?

http://road.cc/content/news/184184-team-wanty-gober-rider-antoine-demoiti%C3%A9-dies-after-gent-wevelgem-crash

RIP

My thoughts are that they have to, now, several, thankfully non-fatal, incidents last year, now this.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #84 on: 28 March, 2016, 03:46:21 pm »
The most sickening and upsetting thing about this news is that it was so inevitable that it would happen sooner or later.

When Sagan had a row with a moto who knocked him off last year, he was the one who got fined – for tarnishing the image of the sport, no less.

If I were a pro cyclist, I would be seriously considering going on strike right now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #85 on: 28 March, 2016, 06:25:35 pm »
Yes, that Sagan incident did the sport no favours at all.

Did Sagan win the Gent race? Perhaps he's the right guy to get something done.

He'll need to add about 10 years to his mental age first, bless him. But this could be the year he grows up ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #86 on: 29 March, 2016, 09:38:31 pm »
Many of the previous incidents seem to have been the pilots of the motos riding badly and bringing cyclists down.  This one is harder to resolve - it seems there was a crash in a small bunch and the moto crashed while attempting to avoid them and landed on Demoitie. Clearly the UCI need to sort out the number of motos and ensure that the pilots are properly trained and licensed (and understand how the peleton works), but I don't think you're going to be able to avoid rare incidents such as this one where there's a crash directly in front of a race vehicle. Even if you introduce drones to do much of the filming, you still need neutral service and commissair vehicles.
With the way that riders try to use team cars and the motos to try to get back on after a crash, I'm surprised we haven't seen anyone run over by a team car recently as well.
The sad death of Daan Myngheer makes me question how teams (especially lower down the world rankings) scan and check their new riders. There have been deaths (and miraculous recoveries) from pro footballers having heart attacks on the field - given the way that cyclists are expected to basically go into the red zone for hours at a time I would have thought they would be more at risk of having undiagnosed heart conditions cause problems.
RIP both riders...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #87 on: 29 March, 2016, 10:41:44 pm »
It isn't the number of motos so much as the code of conduct. There should be stricter enforcement of the minimum distance between vehicle and rider/bunch, and it should vary according to speed. Everyone on the convoy should be there with a specific job to do - it is bad enough doing a 3/4 road race with a minimal convoy.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #88 on: 10 April, 2016, 04:48:17 pm »
Well that was unexpected at Paris-Roubaix!  And Vivianni in hospital after being hit by a Moto apprently.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #89 on: 10 April, 2016, 05:02:43 pm »
Good effort by team Murdoch snatching defeat from the jaws of victory  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #90 on: 10 April, 2016, 05:44:37 pm »
Started watching it on letour.fr, fell asleep.  I believe somebody won.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #91 on: 10 April, 2016, 07:58:28 pm »
It was a cracking race, exciting from start to finish.

Sky were struck by bad luck rather than the usual tactical shortcomings. Moscon looks like a highly talented young rider but his lack of experience racing in those conditions showed (although conditions were slippery enough to catch out plenty of much more experienced riders - including Cancellara). And Stannard did brilliantly to almost snatch it on the line.

Feel slightly sorry for Tom Boonen - he'll probably never get the record now - but really pleased for Hayman. He rode a great race and deserved the win.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #92 on: 10 April, 2016, 08:15:35 pm »
Some good clips here for those that missed the race (including myself!):

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/04/news/roubaix-madness-sagans-save-and-sky-crash_402144

“I would have liked to have seen [Boonen] win and get the record, to be honest,” Hayman said. “I could see the others had pressure to win. I would have been happy with the podium, and I was able to sit in, and save my energy. There was no way I thought it would up like this. I am sure Tom is going to have sleepless nights.”
Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/04/news/hayman-roubaixs-unlikeliest-winner_402143#yskwEqshuI9YwLwf.99

I think Tom might hit a line or too!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #93 on: 10 April, 2016, 09:40:11 pm »
Aaaaaand another moto incident. Viviani hospitalised but OK. FFS.  :facepalm:

Video: https://twitter.com/r8uge/status/719200478475743232

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #94 on: 14 April, 2016, 09:15:42 am »
Have we reached peak disc in the peloton, or is this just a minor blip?

« Reply #95 on: 14 April, 2016, 01:01:40 pm »
That's an interesting one.  The injury sustained looks really horrible - really amazing that he didn't feel it at first.  I suppose that's adrenaline for you.  British Cycling are watching the introduction of discs into the pro-peleton to see if it is appropriate for the domestic scene.  This type of injury isn't going to help in getting them approved.

« Reply #96 on: 14 April, 2016, 03:43:19 pm »
That's an interesting one.  The injury sustained looks really horrible - really amazing that he didn't feel it at first.  I suppose that's adrenaline for you.  British Cycling are watching the introduction of discs into the pro-peleton to see if it is appropriate for the domestic scene.  This type of injury isn't going to help in getting them approved.

It isn't down to British Cycling, it's a UCI decision. At the moment it is/was a trial period for pro- calendar events only - I.e. Wouldn't apply to pro + elite events even. As far as the domestic scene is concerned, UCI would have to approve discs for all categories before discs are allowed in domestic races.
UCI technical regulations apply to all BC events.

« Reply #97 on: 14 April, 2016, 05:51:14 pm »

« Reply #98 on: 31 May, 2016, 10:30:28 pm »
Jeez, Harry Tanfield was second in Durham in the Tour Series. I almost wish I'd gone!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #99 on: 01 June, 2016, 09:24:35 am »
... just after winning the BUCS race.  Just think of all those poor BA English (etc) students who also like cycling, who entered a race and came up against him.