Author Topic: Grindr experience and recommendations  (Read 3250 times)

Grindr experience and recommendations
« on: 13 February, 2021, 07:36:56 am »
Why is so effing difficult to make a decent salt and pepper grinder? The standard ones are OK-ish, but have a single coarseness, are two handed and a bit meh, unless you want to
(click to show/hide)

What I want is a single handed grinder with adjustable coarseness (single handed is easier for cooking), adjustable coarseness is more important than single handed, but the two seem to go hand in hand (see what I did there?). I currently have a David Mason design one for pepper that is no longer available

This is OK, but suffers from lack of consistency in grind and inability to really do fine. The various others- salt and pepper - I have had over the years have all exploded or otherwise self-immolated as my salt thing did recently, giving rise to this situation.

There is the POV that says I'm being a bit of a poncey arse, but how difficult can it be for human ingenuity to come up with something useful?

Re: Grindr experience and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2021, 07:58:16 am »
The big ones that come full of whole black pepper in places like Aldi and Lidl always seem to work well for me. Obviously you can't vary the grind  but I never find a need for finely ground pepper.

Didn't read your actual post very carefully though, and am assuming its not about bumming.

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:03:54 am »
Yes, the content isn’t what I was expecting from the title....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:16:27 am »
  but I never find a need for finely ground pepper.

Some of my customers complain if there are chunky black pepper bits. One of those things that, having used it, you discover is useful to have. Simple fact is, with the classic grinder changing coarseness is not an option.

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:23:39 am »
Have a look at those made by Peugeot. However, I'm not aware of them making one for single handed use. (Other than their electric ones)

ETA - the one I have would certainly fit your criteria of adjustable coarseness .

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:26:39 am »
No idea about consistency of grind but a quick Google gives this:  https://dreamfarm.com/ortwo/

Available from Amazon etc

ETA  -  Plastic bodied version also available at more reasonable price: https://dreamfarm.com/ortwolite/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:04:42 am »
Dunno if a Porlex coffee grinder would suit. They have six settings from very fine to French Press, which is very coarse.  Coffee beans are usually drier than pepper, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:06:20 am »
Yes I have a Peugeot one with a dial in adjuster. Not 1 handed tho.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2021, 12:04:53 pm »
Peugeot for me,  My clear ones are secondhand from a charity shop and the the two brown wood ones where one was liberated from a bar in france and the other a Nados in Bristol.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2021, 12:11:22 pm »
Shouldn't this be in NSFW?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2021, 12:22:17 pm »
Shouldn't this be in NSFW?

Like andrewc, I was expecting very different content from what was suggested by the thread title.

I suspect a deliberate mistake by Ham for clickbait purposes because he knows how yacf minds work. ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:53:58 pm »

Excellent click bait trolling there.

Tho I see I'm not the first to think this, as this thread is already peppered with similar replies...

We can't expect much else from an old salt like you.

Sorry...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:00:23 pm »
I’ve a two handed manual one. The grind can be varied, between coarse and very coarse admittedly, by altering the extend to which the top securing nut is tensioned.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:26:27 pm »
Yes, the content isn’t what I was expecting from the title....

:demon: ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:27:41 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:46:27 pm »
I’ve had a two handed manual one. The grind varied between coarse and very coarse ... altering the extend...

TMI  :o
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:59:40 pm »
I’ve had a two handed manual one. The grind varied between coarse and very coarse ... altering the extend...

Lube man. Use more lube.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #18 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:21:40 pm »
We have both pepper and salt mills from https://www.davidmellordesign.com/small-salt-pepper-mill-natural-david-mellor.   A bit pricey to my mind, but they were gifts (gladly received!).

Both are adjustable and elegantly phallic (phallicly elegant?), requiring two hands. They are also perhaps a bit too nice to use in a sweaty, greasy kitchen, but make nice table accessories. The business end is ceramic, much like our Hario Skerton manual coffee grinder.

I can see that a single-handed device would be useful in the kitchen.

« Reply #19 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:26:50 pm »
For one handed operation, you would electricity, or some type of mechanism which converts your hand squeeze to grinding and that would be more complicated than the usual grinders

I’ve a two handed manual one. The grind can be varied, between coarse and very coarse admittedly, by altering the extend to which the top securing nut is tensioned.

That's standard I would have thought, although I can get a fairly fine grind if I tighten the nut almost fully. The grind size is limited by the size of the teeth on the grinding mechanism. For a really fine grind, you'd prob need a blender type grinder or a mortar and pestle.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:28:15 pm »
The Peugeot ones have a separate bit for setting the grind.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #21 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:50:50 pm »
What are the pros and cons of 'ceramic' versus steel mechanisms I wonder - apart from salt? What does 'ceramic' mean in this context?

A quick search brings up replacement 'ceramic' peppermill innards for £5.49

I've still got an ancient, early 1990s? Peter Piper peppermill with steel gubbins - they were sold with lifetime guarantees. Which of course doesn't mean anything as Peter Piper no longer exist. Apart from the top 'capstan' shearing off (relatively easy DIY fix), it still grinds satisfactorily and has always been vaguely adjustable between rough and fairly fine.

As someone who is clearly a doo lally money splasher and enjoys his manual Knock Aergrind coffee grinder, I'd be interested in the actual grind gear than the shape of the outards - even though those David Mellor ones (linked above) are rather pleasant looking

« Reply #22 on: 13 February, 2021, 04:00:39 pm »
What are the pros and cons of 'ceramic' versus steel mechanisms I wonder - apart from salt? What does 'ceramic' mean in this context?

A quick search brings up replacement 'ceramic' peppermill innards for £5.49

I've still got an ancient, early 1990s? Peter Piper peppermill with steel gubbins - they were sold with lifetime guarantees. Which of course doesn't mean anything as Peter Piper no longer exist. Apart from the top 'capstan' shearing off (relatively easy DIY fix), it still grinds satisfactorily and has always been vaguely adjustable between rough and fairly fine.

As someone who is clearly a doo lally money splasher and enjoys his manual Knock Aergrind coffee grinder, I'd be interested in the actual grind gear than the shape of the outards - even though those David Mellor ones (linked above) are rather pleasant looking
I've read somewhere that the ceramic ones knacker before the steel ones do.
Which comes as something of a surprise, if I'm honest.

ETA - All of my table cutlery is by David Mellor.
Some of it is less than perfect.
Inclusions is the word which springs to mind.

Not what I expected.

« Reply #23 on: 13 February, 2021, 07:45:58 pm »
I'm sure that my subject choice can only have been a typographical error. An innocent typographical error, OK?

Sounds like Peugeot may be the answer to my quest.

« Reply #24 on: 13 February, 2021, 07:50:21 pm »
Clear your auto-fill cache maybe  ;)