Author Topic: What are you having for supper tonight?  (Read 329770 times)

Re: What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #3400 on: 17 March, 2021, 05:30:19 pm »
In theory, I'm having pissaladière with salad tonight.

I say "in theory" because the dough (I was using a recipe from At Elizabeth David's Table)was being a bit of a PITA during mixing and kneading, and reminding me why I usually prefer to make Provençal-style tarts with ready-made puff pastry instead, but let's see how the proving goes and take it from there.

If the worst comes to the worst, I have a flammkeuche in the freezer, or I can pop down the road to my nearest stupormarket and see what I can find by way of garlic flatbreads or pizza bases as a substitute.

ETA: It worked, and the leftovers will do for lunch tomorrow.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3401 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:14:09 pm »
After today’s shop, tomorrow’s meal will feature purple sprouting broccoli and Jersey new potatoes.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3402 on: 25 March, 2021, 02:54:04 pm »
Slow cooker butter chicken with Naans. All home made.

Was supposed to be what Mrs T made on Monday but she ran out of time and thus she made something else. I am off work today recovering from the jab so I have been the dutiful husband and made dinner.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

HectoJ

• 45 to go
« Reply #3403 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:46:53 pm »
Asparagus with lemon/butter sauce and a Flammkuchen (onion and bacon version).

Was rather good !

« Reply #3404 on: 26 March, 2021, 11:03:40 am »
A chicken and vegetable (peppers, carrots, chickpeas, green beans) tagine and cous-cous with preserved lemons, wild garlic and parsley.

ETA: Found a sweet potato lurking in the veg basket, so that went in too.

« Reply #3405 on: 26 March, 2021, 08:46:31 pm »
Pasta, ribbons of smoked salmon in a creme fraiche sauce with garlic, chilli & lemon zest.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3406 on: 26 March, 2021, 08:51:25 pm »
Ooh. Nearly SNAP!
Prawn linguine, ham,chilli and creme fraiche.

Prolly could have done with a bit more chilli.  Mrs B doesn't agree.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #3407 on: 27 March, 2021, 08:34:30 am »
Found a load of wild garlic while out on our walk yesterday so made some wild garlic and walnut pesto, and some fresh tagliatelle to put it on. Yum!

Still got loads of the pesto left so will probably be having the same again for dinner tonight. Mention of prawns makes me think that could be a nice addition. Might see if I can get some today.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3408 on: 28 March, 2021, 01:16:21 pm »
Tonight is slow cooked ox cheek, which has just gone into the oven.  It will be served with carrots and cavolo nero, and the rest of the bottle of Spanish red that it was marinated in overnight. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

HectoJ

• 45 to go
« Reply #3409 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:49:05 pm »
STEAK... followed by ice cream... (yes... not healthy, I know... the Asparagus was past)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3410 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:36:54 am »
Tonight is slow cooked ox cheek, which has just gone into the oven.  It will be served with carrots and cavolo nero, and the rest of the bottle of Spanish red that it was marinated in overnight.

Can I just say it was lush...   :chef's kiss:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3411 on: 31 March, 2021, 12:17:30 am »
D's been hankering after a burger and onion rings for a while, so I ordered a New Italian burger for him, a pulled chicken burger for me, sweet potato & regular fries + onion rings from Waffleburgs, a local firm via Just Eat!
Food arrived half an hour after ordering and was very nice.

I was impressed by the packaging: paper bag enclosing three paper bags for the sides and two one-piece corrugated cardboard boxes for the burgers.
No plastic anywhere.

« Reply #3412 on: 03 April, 2021, 09:16:54 am »
I've also a hankering for a burger. Must be last summer last time I had one. So BBQ dragged out of the shed yesterday (sorry I guess its my fault the weather has crashed to near freezing) and burgers purchased for Castle Howard farm shop.
Today I will make a Big Mac burger sauce copy (its just ketchup and mayo with a few other things chucked in) and tonight will be burger night !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #3413 on: 03 April, 2021, 12:28:08 pm »
Big Mac burger sauce copy (its just ketchup and mayo with a few other things chucked in)

Albert Roux does something similar with ketchup, mayo and brandy, and he has Michelin stars.

« Reply #3414 on: 03 April, 2021, 02:16:56 pm »
Rump steak (from the cows raised about a mike away), purple sprouting broccoli and Jersey Royal potatoes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3415 on: 10 April, 2021, 02:24:30 pm »
Butterscotch Angel Delight for afters last night: just because...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3416 on: 15 April, 2021, 07:51:48 pm »
I made a chicken curry. I was wpndering why it was so brown and tasteless then I realised I forgot to put any tomato in it.  Doh.

« Reply #3417 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:10:44 pm »
Vivera plant based shawarma in wraps with salad and sauce that looks like this:

« Reply #3418 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:41:38 pm »

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3419 on: 21 April, 2021, 08:46:39 am »
Found a load of wild garlic while out on our walk yesterday so made some wild garlic and walnut pesto, and some fresh tagliatelle to put it on. Yum!

Still got loads of the pesto left so will probably be having the same again for dinner tonight. Mention of prawns makes me think that could be a nice addition. Might see if I can get some today.
I made wild garlic pesto last night, with pine nuts. Presumably the walnuts in your recipe take the place of the pine nuts.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3420 on: 21 April, 2021, 10:59:44 am »

I made wild garlic pesto last night, with pine nuts. Presumably the walnuts in your recipe take the place of the pine nuts.

And I shall be making some with pine nuts and almonds (because I have a packed of blanched almonds to use up).

citoyen

« Reply #3421 on: 21 April, 2021, 11:17:39 am »

Indeed. And I toasted them first for extra flavour. I think they go really well with the wild garlic. Also, walnuts are a hell of a lot cheaper than pine nuts.

There are loads of recipes online - all varying in small ways but fundamentally the same. I mean, it's pesto - not exactly elaborate haute cuisine, you just chuck the ingredients in the blender and hit the switch. But I followed Hugh FW's recipe as a rough guide to quantities/proportions. Might increase the walnuts next time.

I've heard rumours of a local source of wild garlic, so I may have to go and investigate. Otherwise, it's a rare treat for me - doesn't seem to be much of it round these parts. If I'd known there would be such rich pickings at Bewl Water (for that is where we went on our walk), I would have taken a large bag and filled it up for the freezer.

« Reply #3422 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:07:17 pm »
Whilst not strictly legal, we transplanted some from a large patch - around 20m x 20m - at a local churchyard into our garden, and it's spreading nicely.  We just pulled up a few random handfuls and shoved them in between the back of the raised beds and the fence.  So now we can grab some as garnish, or an addition to mash, as and when. And now they're flowering I'll harvest whats left for pesto.  I'll not use Walnuts though, I'm strongly allergic to them!

ian

« Reply #3423 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:17:38 pm »

Indeed. And I toasted them first for extra flavour. I think they go really well with the wild garlic. Also, walnuts are a hell of a lot cheaper than pine nuts.

There are loads of recipes online - all varying in small ways but fundamentally the same. I mean, it's pesto - not exactly elaborate haute cuisine, you just chuck the ingredients in the blender and hit the switch. But I followed Hugh FW's recipe as a rough guide to quantities/proportions. Might increase the walnuts next time.

I've heard rumours of a local source of wild garlic, so I may have to go and investigate. Otherwise, it's a rare treat for me - doesn't seem to be much of it round these parts. If I'd known there would be such rich pickings at Bewl Water (for that is where we went on our walk), I would have taken a large bag and filled it up for the freezer.

Pretty much every wood in our stomping ground (which stretches as far as Bewl Water, if we're feeling exotic) is filled with the stuff, which explains the lack of vampires amongst the ranks of the Ramblers.

I mostly sub cashews for pine nuts in pesto (in part because I always have cashews knocking around, but pine nuts are hit and miss).

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3424 on: 21 April, 2021, 07:33:13 pm »
Tonight, I couldn't be arsed. Defrosted 2 wholemeal rolls. Found some fish fingers at the back of the freezer (bb 2017). Added green pepper, a chilli and smothered the lot with smoked chilli ketchup. I can't say it was wonderful but it filled a gap.
There's no vibrations, but wait.