Author Topic: Swollen Ankle  (Read 943 times)

Swollen Ankle
« on: 23 June, 2010, 07:17:57 pm »
During the latter parts of BCM it felt as though the tongue of my right shoe was rubbing rubbing my ankle. It was fine when not in those shoes though, and when riding a 200 a couple of days later (in the same shoes), it was fine after the first half hour. Since then I have used those shoes for a 160km, a 600km and last weekend a 400km. There wasn't a problem on the 160km, on the later part of the 600 both my feet were being problematic (I have a nasty habit of clawing my toes which leads to problems if you forget to wiggle them regularly), but the ankle was fine. During the weekends ride it was also fine, but after the event I noticed that it caused a bit of pain at the extremes of movement, especially inversion of the foot. The ankle also seems to be slightly swollen on the upper, inner part of the joint. I've been taking it easy since the weekend, but it seems to be as bad (if not worse) than Saturday evening.

Any idea what I've actually done to it, and is there anything other than rest and anti-inflammatories that will help it get better?
I'm off to the alps on Friday, and sitting around for the week without going cycling is going to make me exceedingly grumpy....

Emma
California Dreaming

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Swollen Ankle
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2010, 07:40:47 pm »
It's possible the area around your tibialis anterior tendon is unhappy/overused/creaky. Rest, ice, elevation and iuprofen usually help. Avoiding provocation is easier said than done.
GWS!

Re: Swollen Ankle
« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2010, 09:41:32 pm »
Thanks Helly.

It looks like I'm going to try and be good (for a change).
California Dreaming