Author Topic: Running shoe for flat footed overpronator?  (Read 904 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Running shoe for flat footed overpronator?
« on: 25 October, 2012, 08:59:13 pm »
I'm quite enjoying running now that I'm getting into the NHS couch  2 5k program.
Currently I'm wearing a pair of cheap Fila running shoes, which I use with my Vasyli orthotics which I need to wear correct my flat overpronating feet.  (My feet are the flattest the podiatrist had ever seen....)

Now, I'm looking to get a new pair of running shoes, since the cheap ass Fila's are starting to get past their best.

Should I go for a neutral shoe, which is suitable for the orthotics?

Or go for a motion control shoe, and dispense with the orthotics for running?  While the orthotics are fine for walking, they are a bit stiff for running in.

Thoughts?

Oh, and having size 13 seems to limit options, even without the problem of orthotics......

Re: Running shoe for flat footed overpronator?
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2012, 10:15:20 pm »
get yourself down to a running/sport shop that has the treadmill that measures the way your feet work, it makes a huge difference, not the cheapest I'll admit but worth it (they tend to recommend the more expensive shoes but if you listen to them, then you know what to look for at the cheaper end of the scale  ;D )

I had/have a bit of a bum right knee and could run 10 miles before pain set in, did the above and got a correctly fitting set of running shoes and instantly moved to 15 miles before the fitness gave in.

I was up to the point of going into the shop a bit suspect of the tails of such a system but having had the experience its the only way I wold go now (I just need to lose a bit of beef and I can take the running up again  :-[ )

« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2012, 10:22:35 pm »
what he said.  I'm a 13 too, there's plenty of choice out there. 

FWIW, I've gone from neutral + insole to motion control (brooks GTS) with insole and it's going well....  I tried 3 or 4 different shoes in the shop and they felt very different, even though they were described as the same.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2012, 07:09:14 am »
Cheers for the replies.
Next time I'm in Edinburgh I'll have a look in a couple of running shops to see what the recommend.   :thumbsup: