Author Topic: Tenancy advice request - 2 weeks no kitchen drainage, landlord being an arse  (Read 1198 times)

This isn't me, but a friend of mine.

He's a good lad, recently graduated and rented a (seemingly) nice flat in that there London and started his first proper job.

He's been in only a month or two and part of the waste pipe which drains his kitchen appliances (taps/sink, washing machine, dish washer) has fallen off the external front wall of the building. This means that any water, kitchen waste etc just sprays all over the front of the building, firing down onto the front entrance way and path.

He can't patch a repair because the defective pipework is up at second floor level and he doesn't have a ladder. It wouldn't be safe for him to attempt anyway, he'd end up doing a Rod Hull probably.

It's been like this for exactly two weeks now, and the landlord is making and breaking multiple promises to fix it. Latest was today, landlord promised faithfully to repair downpipe this weekend but switched his phone off on Friday and hasn't been seen or contactable since.

Tenant really can't use his kitchen in this state, the neighbors are understandably playing hell because if he cooks/washes dishes etc his kitchen waste ends up all over the front path and in the basement flat step-well, not to mention on the head of anyone coming into or out of the building. So, he's been taking his laundry out, avoiding cooking as much as possible (ordering pizzas and takeaways) and washing the odd bit of crockery in the bathroom. It's a royal pain in the arse.

The landlord has clearly demonstrated he doesn't give a shit, and tenant is going to have to force someone's hand. Any legal beagles offer helpful, practical advice on his best approach to resolve the issue? This is really getting him down, and it should be a fun and exciting time for him. Grrr.

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
I personally would stop paying my rent and then see how quick he is to answer  his phone !!!  I hate wanker landlords pissing about for a £20 quid pipe grrr
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

Do not stop paying your rent. You will he in breach of contract and allow the landlord to terminate the tenancy with immediate effect.

border-rider

Does the tenancy agreement not cover the landlord's responsibilities and specify the mechanism for dispute resolution ? An assured tenancy should..

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
An assured tenancy should but...

What Polar Bear says is right. Unfortunately in law two wrongs don't make a right.

Does the tenancy agreement not cover the landlord's responsibilities and specify the mechanism for dispute resolution ? An assured tenancy should..

Yes, the responsibility for this sort of repair is quite clear in shorthold tenancy; it's the landlords job and he's required to deal with it promptly. The problem is, despite being informed a fortnight ago and then politely and patiently reminded about the issue since then, he's not bothered doing anything except break promises to repair and evade tenants reasonable complaints.

I'm hoping to get some advice that will help force the landlord to attend to his obligations, without the situation deteriorating into anything nasty.

PH

I've had my share of landlord problems, good ones seem hard to find.
This leaflet may be of use;
http://england.shelter.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/23392/Advice_booklet_repairs.pdf

As advised in it your next step is probably to contact the local council environmental department.  At which point the landlord tells you you're making a fuss about nothing and he was just about to fix it ::-)

That leaflet is very useful, thanks PH, I'll pass it on.

1) make sure the complaint has been made in writing (or at least check the contract - that's what most specify). Specify in the letter what reasonable steps you've made to contact. In many contracts the clock starts ticking from the time the letter goes out. If it's just been done over the phone, it may give a landlord wiggle room.

2) contact the local council environmental health people. My son had a similar situation (he asked for a gas safety certificate - none was forthcoming - when it was eventually inspected the heating system was condemned and gas turned off - landlord then went awol leaving no heating for 3 weeks in November). Environmental Health were very supportive - they knew the landlord well and were looking for a case to hang an action from...

Thank you SC, I've passed comments along.