Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718075 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #16475 on: 29 July, 2021, 07:37:25 am »
I survived and no eggs were consumed
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #16476 on: 29 July, 2021, 08:18:11 am »
I survived and no eggs were consumed

Don't forget, there is a plan!

Good to see you  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16477 on: 29 July, 2021, 11:45:39 am »
@αdαmsκι, you know the plan I mentioned earlier...

Its going in my Carradice ready for the next time I see you  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #16478 on: 29 July, 2021, 11:59:02 am »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16479 on: 29 July, 2021, 12:02:09 pm »
That's right, pickled eggs taste like Ferrero Rocher!  You'll be fine!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16480 on: 29 July, 2021, 02:31:19 pm »
At least those weren't mentioned in the Doomsday Book, unlike the one I ate! (Probably just as disgusting though).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16481 on: 29 July, 2021, 02:37:40 pm »
The food of champions!  Just the stuff you need to set you up for a bit of ploughed field riding.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #16482 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:20:45 pm »
As OD cannot post in the correct thread...
Yesterday evening... The Bard wasn't present so you'll have to make do with me...

I became dimly aware via the medium of voicemails and electronic messages that huggy wasn't going to be at the Spa Road roundabout.  It transpired that C333333 had also communicated he'd make his own way to the King Billy but I missed that.  Regardless, myself and Fred ventured down to the roundabout to see what might happen, a few moments later BFC turned up on his Jack.  I asked if he fancied the Flitch Way and BFC said he'd shod Jack with gravel tyres and noted that Fred was shod with tractor tyres so I took that to be an affirmative answer.  Off we set.

After a while the Wahoooooooooooooooooooo indicated a right turn into a drive way and I remembered I'd routed us along a bridleway which in turn led to the Flitch Way.  BFC made muted noises which I took to be noises of mild concern.  Shortly after we found the bridleway which led across a ploughed oil seed rape field.  The surface was only a little bit ploughed and scattered with hoof prints.  The photo I posted on FB and on Strava shows BFC with a particular look on his face.  Some might interpret his expression to be one of exasperation but I'm sure he was enjoying himself.  What I can say with great certainty was that he didn't moan as much as huggy and Oaky would have in similar circumstances.

The Flitch Way was fast with a following wind and Braintree's network of shared use paths safely transported us to the King Billy.  Tomsk was there already, huggy, C3333333333333333333 and adamski joined later followed much later by josser.  The King Billy looked after us very well, I liked the call button on each table which summoned a bar person who took a dislike to huggy as he'd flouted their one way system and came very close to scratching her car with his bike.  I can't remember what we talked about and we couldn't initiate adamski as there were no pickled eggs. 

We were under cover when it rained and it was dry again by the time came to ride home.  All in all a very nice evening.

The ride home from King Billy was amazing after the rain we'd had to hide from at about 10pm. I saw bats, a shooting star and a fantastic view of the moon raising up over the rain clouds that were being sent eastwards. I love night riding.

If next week's pub is Colchester-ish way I'll probably be able to come out and play again.

felstedrider

« Reply #16483 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:24:06 pm »
I feel a bit bad that you were all 5 miles from me and I didn't turn out.   I have a 4:45 start on a Thursday each week which makes things a bit difficult.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16484 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:28:31 pm »
As OD cannot post in the correct thread...
Yesterday evening... The Bard wasn't present so you'll have to make do with me...

I became dimly aware via the medium of voicemails and electronic messages that huggy wasn't going to be at the Spa Road roundabout.  It transpired that C333333 had also communicated he'd make his own way to the King Billy but I missed that.  Regardless, myself and Fred ventured down to the roundabout to see what might happen, a few moments later BFC turned up on his Jack.  I asked if he fancied the Flitch Way and BFC said he'd shod Jack with gravel tyres and noted that Fred was shod with tractor tyres so I took that to be an affirmative answer.  Off we set.

After a while the Wahoooooooooooooooooooo indicated a right turn into a drive way and I remembered I'd routed us along a bridleway which in turn led to the Flitch Way.  BFC made muted noises which I took to be noises of mild concern.  Shortly after we found the bridleway which led across a ploughed oil seed rape field.  The surface was only a little bit ploughed and scattered with hoof prints.  The photo I posted on FB and on Strava shows BFC with a particular look on his face.  Some might interpret his expression to be one of exasperation but I'm sure he was enjoying himself.  What I can say with great certainty was that he didn't moan as much as huggy and Oaky would have in similar circumstances.

The Flitch Way was fast with a following wind and Braintree's network of shared use paths safely transported us to the King Billy.  Tomsk was there already, huggy, C3333333333333333333 and adamski joined later followed much later by josser.  The King Billy looked after us very well, I liked the call button on each table which summoned a bar person who took a dislike to huggy as he'd flouted their one way system and came very close to scratching her car with his bike.  I can't remember what we talked about and we couldn't initiate adamski as there were no pickled eggs. 

We were under cover when it rained and it was dry again by the time came to ride home.  All in all a very nice evening.

The ride home from King Billy was amazing after the rain we'd had to hide from at about 10pm. I saw bats, a shooting star and a fantastic view of the moon raising up over the rain clouds that were being sent eastwards. I love night riding.

If next week's pub is Colchester-ish way I'll probably be able to come out and play again.

Newbie error  ;D convention says that MEMWNS ride reports go in the Miscellany thread, I'm not sure why...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #16485 on: 29 July, 2021, 04:29:05 pm »
Now that's just silly ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16486 on: 31 July, 2021, 04:19:50 pm »
I've just been past The Cats and it's open for business.  Hopefully it means Wally and Mrs Wally are weathering the COVID storm.  Unfortunately I didn't think I had time to stop.

« Reply #16487 on: 01 August, 2021, 02:26:45 pm »
I like the look of The Cats. Do any of you guys know if I can do The London Orbital 300 as a DIY, and can I make the start/finish wherever I like, so long as I do the whole thing?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16488 on: 01 August, 2021, 02:28:47 pm »
You could certainly do a DIY based on the route. You'd need to look up if there's a permanent for it I expect.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #16489 on: 01 August, 2021, 02:32:43 pm »
Hi

Yes, there is a permanent route from Paul Stewart that allows you to start from any point.

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=7352

I've done the original route, which was a great ride.  This modified one looks even better...
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #16490 on: 01 August, 2021, 02:35:58 pm »
Nice! Thank you, guys  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16491 on: 01 August, 2021, 04:32:44 pm »
Perhaps huggy should turn our round London 400k DIY into a proper route: Oxford Street, Ditchling Beacon and Box Hill plus many other slopes. 

felstedrider

« Reply #16492 on: 01 August, 2021, 05:23:18 pm »
Oh, excellent.  You can start from Leaden Roding.  Might try to fit this in before the end of the season.

« Reply #16493 on: 01 August, 2021, 06:44:38 pm »

Just check Gravesend ferry timings, so you are assured of hitting it when it’s running. Depending on start time and direction you go.

« Reply #16494 on: 02 August, 2021, 01:03:18 am »
Oh, excellent.  You can start from Leaden Roding.  Might try to fit this in before the end of the season.

I'm starting from Norton Heath if you fancy company? :thumbsup:

« Reply #16495 on: 02 August, 2021, 01:03:55 am »

Just check Gravesend ferry timings, so you are assured of hitting it when it’s running. Depending on start time and direction you go.

Good call, I wouldn't have thought of that!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16496 on: 02 August, 2021, 06:35:07 am »

Good call, I wouldn't have thought of that!

That's a shame, it seems that MV Princess Pocahontas has been retired.  Here's the current fleet.

felstedrider

« Reply #16497 on: 02 August, 2021, 07:54:31 am »

I'm starting from Norton Heath if you fancy company? :thumbsup:

It might be September before I can have a go.   I have a couple of busy weeks coming provided I recover from the off I had last week Ok.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16498 on: 02 August, 2021, 01:18:09 pm »
Regarding this Wednesday...

I didn't think I would be anywhere near Mid-Essex, I was supposed to be in Stockton-on-Tees (jiberland) on Wednesday but now I'm not as the customer I was going to see has shut their office as they have a COVID case.  So where are we going?

Ideally we need to go somewhere that adamski can get to, assuming he's free, so we can perform his initiation.  I have a jar of pickled eggs containing what looks like 5 eggs.  So will I need to buy additional jars or will we go somewhere that sells the Food of Champions TM  ;D  ?

« Reply #16499 on: 02 August, 2021, 01:23:02 pm »

I think we should comply with Adamski's request and go Colchester(ish).  Are we ready for indoors again or are we sticking with our favourite beer gardens ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways