Author Topic: I say old chap  (Read 2587 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I say old chap
« on: 18 January, 2013, 12:43:39 pm »
So I was getting a bit bummed out by the recent press tizzy over a retired athlete, and suddenly up pops a really nice story about someone putting winning second. Feel free to share other examples of 'good sports'.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/12/19/inenglish/1355928581_856388.html

Two weeks ago, on December 2, Spanish athlete Iván Fernández Anaya was competing in a cross-country race in Burlada, Navarre. He was running second, some distance behind race leader Abel Mutai - bronze medalist in the 3,000-meter steeplechase at the London Olympics. As they entered the finishing straight, he saw the Kenyan runner - the certain winner of the race - mistakenly pull up about 10 meters before the finish, thinking he had already crossed the line.

Fernández Anaya quickly caught up with him, but instead of exploiting Mutai's mistake to speed past and claim an unlikely victory, he stayed behind and, using gestures, guided the Kenyan to the line and let him cross first.

"I didn't deserve to win it," says 24-year-old Fernández Anaya. "I did what I had to do. He was the rightful winner. He created a gap that I couldn't have closed if he hadn't made a mistake. As soon as I saw he was stopping, I knew I wasn't going to pass him."
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: I say old chap
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2013, 01:15:57 am »
Armstrong "admits" he's a cheat, Suarez admits he's a diver, a superb Spanish athlete recognises he's been truly beaten by an even better athlete - what's going on?  I'll believe Newcastle will finally win the FA Cup (or anything) one year.

A great story, Matt, thanks!

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2013, 07:29:37 pm »
What a load of soppy old bollocks!

Top level sport is about taking advantage of your opponents weaknesses. And if that means if they fuck up, you pounce.

Whatever next? A goalkeeper making a hash of a clearance and passing the ball right into the path of striker who then, rather than blasting it into the back of the net, simply taps it back to the keeper saying "There you go old fella, I know you didn't mean to do that"?

It's nothing to do with Armstrong's cheating. If the Spanish guy had kept going, he wouldn't have been cheating. He would've won fair and square. The Kenyan guy would feel a bit of a prick - serves him right for not paying attention.

Reminds me a bit of this old clip:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_EaJMr26F5w&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_EaJMr26F5w&rel=1</a>
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2013, 07:42:27 pm »
Right you - outside. Naaar!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2013, 07:46:24 pm »
Leave it bobb! E ain't worf it!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »
Ah, Bobb, after all that's gone on in this place, I had you down as a romantic.  What a rude awakening! ;)

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2013, 08:00:56 pm »
I was kinda playing devil's advocate  :P

Although part of me still thinks it's bollocks!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:26:40 pm »
Ultimately, the winner at sport is he who makes the last-but-one mistake. That's what happened here.

I used, regularly, to take part in the Southend & District Chess League Knockout Championship. In 1984 I had a better run than usual and got to the semi-final. My opponent and I agreed a date on which to play the match but then, the day before, I got mumps and was out of action for almost a month. I phoned him to rearrange but he said he was going to claim the game. I then phoned the league chairman who insisted on a postponement and, some weeks later and me three stone lighter, we sat down to play.

It was a Sicilian Defence and a very well-balanced game in which we both got into horrendous time trouble. From the start we each had to make 30 moves in 75 minutes, but thought so long about a complex position that with about 2 minutes left we each had about 12 moves to make. Unwisely, I sacrificed a piece whereon an almighty melée took place and loads of pieces were exchanged. The air cleared, I was still a knight down and in a totally lost position. He said "That's 30, isn't it?", meaning the number of moves we had recorded. I replied that I made it only 29 but he said "I'm sure it's 30" and he sat and had a think. A few seconds later his flag fell. "Your flag's down!" said I to which he replied "But we've made 30 moves."

"I'm not sure that we have. I'd like to check."

So we stopped the clocks and set up another board and played through all the moves we had made. After 29 moves we reached the position on our original board. He couldn't believe it and kept looking at his scoresheet. I pointed out that he'd failed to write move 25 (the bottom line) of the game in its correct place, instead going to the top of the next column and writing the 25th move in move 26's place.

We played through the game once more to ensure that we hadn't made any mistakes and 29 moves it was. He was livid but I certainly wasn't going to be at all generous to someone who tried to claim the game when I was ill. To be fair, I was still ill when we played. It was years before he spoke to me again.

As luck would have it I played a much higher rated player than myself in the final and won handsomely, thereby becoming the League's Individual Champion for the only time in my career.

My opponent from the semifinal eventually took to Buddhism and gave up chess because of all the death that ensued in every game. I still see him occasionally cycling around Southend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2013, 11:41:41 pm »
I was kinda playing devil's advocate  :P

Although part of me still thinks it's bollocks!

Yes, I imagined, you were, hence the wink!  I think what you have hit on is the difference between competition and what we romantics call sport - or, at least, sportsmanship.

Wow, that's a fascinating story!

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 20 January, 2013, 07:44:42 pm »

It was a Sicilian Defence

I don't play Chess but is this where your Sicilian opponent's Godfather puts a tiny wooden horses head in your bed the night before a game..as a warning?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 20 January, 2013, 07:59:18 pm »
No, it's where black responds to 1 e4 with 1... c5. It's more or less black saying "OK, you can have the centre and king-side. I'll play along the queen-side and let's see who is more tactically aware!"

I used to love playing against the Sicilian. Games are almost guaranteed to be full of knife-edge decisions and it's not uncommon for both sides to abandon defence completely. Quite often, both kings are surrounded by a murderous array of enemy pieces and victory and defeat can depend on whose move it is when a critical position is reached.

I could refer the Hon. Memb. to any number of master games, but have a look at http://coaching.chesspod.com/recorder/1997/art1030.html .

Eddie Dearing, although representing Scotland in international chess, was one of my players when I was running Essex Junior Chess. The game at the bottom of the page was in the first round of the World u18 Championship 1997. Ponomariov, despite this loss (his first, I understand, in all of the junior International events he ever played), went on to win the title and later became official adult World Champion, although admittedly this was when Kasparov had formed his breakaway group and there were two World Titles, the Official one, because it was run by FIDE, and the real one, because it involved Kasparov.

(click to show/hide)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #11 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:48:13 pm »
Surely the topic we're discussing is what used to be called 'Sportsmanship?'

Sailing:  The Vendée Globe in about 1996 or 1997 I think.  Storm or hurricane force winds in the Southern Ocean, and the race was torn apart.  Tony Bullimore ended upside down in a boat for three days, and he and another competitor (French?) were rescue by the Australian Navy.

In the same race, Pete Goss turned his yacht around and went back to to windward search for Raphael Dinelli, whose yacht had been dismasted and sunk under him.  The Royal Australian Air Force had dropped him a life raft as his boat was submerged, but they were relying on Goss to pick him up.  (Goss's book has a picture of Dinelli standing on the remains of the upturned hull of his boat before it sank, taken by the RAAF.)  By the time Dinelli was taken out of the life raft, he'd been in it for two days, and was so cold he couldn't lie straight.  The rescue destroyed any chance Goss may have had to win the race, and eventually he came in 5th.

When he returned at the end of the race, he received a hero's welcome and was awarded the Legion d'Honneur for the rescue.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #12 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »
See reply 8. :)

That bwas another incredible tale, wasn't it?

« Reply #13 on: 20 January, 2013, 09:22:17 pm »
Surely the topic we're discussing is what used to be called 'Sportsmanship?'

Sailing:  The Vendée Globe in about 1996 or 1997 I think.  Storm or hurricane force winds in the Southern Ocean, and the race was torn apart.  Tony Bullimore ended upside down in a boat for three days, and he and another competitor (French?) were rescue by the Australian Navy.

In the same race, Pete Goss turned his yacht around and went back to to windward search for Raphael Dinelli, whose yacht had been dismasted and sunk under him.  The Royal Australian Air Force had dropped him a life raft as his boat was submerged, but they were relying on Goss to pick him up.  (Goss's book has a picture of Dinelli standing on the remains of the upturned hull of his boat before it sank, taken by the RAAF.)  By the time Dinelli was taken out of the life raft, he'd been in it for two days, and was so cold he couldn't lie straight.  The rescue destroyed any chance Goss may have had to win the race, and eventually he came in 5th.

When he returned at the end of the race, he received a hero's welcome and was awarded the Legion d'Honneur for the rescue.

Mini-hatler had an English homework task from school recently, to define heroism.

I sat him down and read the relevant passages from Pete Goss's book.

Mini-hatler got it.
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »
An interesting piece in today's Graun/Observer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/20/british-cheating-sport-parliament-banks

Some of the comments underneath the article are quite thought provoking. Was the myth of "sportsmanship" peddled so that the ruling classes could continue to shaft the plebs? "We're all in this together" is just an extension of that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:47:32 pm »
Surely only cads strive to come first?
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:08:03 am »
Sportsmanship: Wiggins slowing the whole peloton down on stage whatever it was in the Pyrenees TdF 2012 when Cadel got all those punctures? But he had nothing much to lose by it.

Interesting that the opposite of sportsmanship is gamesmanship?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:12:37 am »
Ultimately, the winner at sport is he who makes the last-but-one mistake. That's what happened here.

I used, regularly, to take part in the Southend & District Chess League Knockout Championship. In 1984 I had a better run than usual and got to the semi-final. My opponent and I agreed a date on which to play the match but then, the day before, I got mumps and was out of action for almost a month. I phoned him to rearrange but he said he was going to claim the game. I then phoned the league chairman who insisted on a postponement and, some weeks later and me three stone lighter, we sat down to play.

It was a Sicilian Defence and a very well-balanced game in which we both got into horrendous time trouble. From the start we each had to make 30 moves in 75 minutes, but thought so long about a complex position that with about 2 minutes left we each had about 12 moves to make. Unwisely, I sacrificed a piece whereon an almighty melée took place and loads of pieces were exchanged. The air cleared, I was still a knight down and in a totally lost position. He said "That's 30, isn't it?", meaning the number of moves we had recorded. I replied that I made it only 29 but he said "I'm sure it's 30" and he sat and had a think. A few seconds later his flag fell. "Your flag's down!" said I to which he replied "But we've made 30 moves."

"I'm not sure that we have. I'd like to check."

So we stopped the clocks and set up another board and played through all the moves we had made. After 29 moves we reached the position on our original board. He couldn't believe it and kept looking at his scoresheet. I pointed out that he'd failed to write move 25 (the bottom line) of the game in its correct place, instead going to the top of the next column and writing the 25th move in move 26's place.

We played through the game once more to ensure that we hadn't made any mistakes and 29 moves it was. He was livid but I certainly wasn't going to be at all generous to someone who tried to claim the game when I was ill. To be fair, I was still ill when we played. It was years before he spoke to me again.

As luck would have it I played a much higher rated player than myself in the final and won handsomely, thereby becoming the League's Individual Champion for the only time in my career.

My opponent from the semifinal eventually took to Buddhism and gave up chess because of all the death that ensued in every game. I still see him occasionally cycling around Southend.

Gripping material Wowers. Nail-biting stuff!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #18 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:40:38 am »
Sportsmanship: Wiggins slowing the whole peloton down on stage whatever it was in the Pyrenees TdF 2012 when Cadel got all those punctures?

It was a no brainer - the entire peloton would think he was an arsehole if he didn't...