Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 339076 times)

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1850 on: 16 December, 2020, 09:03:46 pm »
Utopia, on that Amazon. Chosen fairly randomly and not at all what I expected from the blurb. Lots more killing for a start. No idea where it's going, probably one of those end-of-season-never-renewed cliffhangers. Bonus points for the boss bad being called Doctor Rabbit.

The UK original (from Ch4) was amazing. “Who is Jessica Hynes”  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1851 on: 17 December, 2020, 05:24:18 am »
On Netflix, Drug Squad Costa Del Sol is really getting me at the moment.

Great story line, 70's clothes, discos etc and a footballer's girlfriend.

Typical novella kind of intertwined stories but no worse for it.

Opposite end of the spectrum, I simply have to stop what I am doing at 8 every Wednesday evening so that I can watch the Repair Shop
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1852 on: 21 December, 2020, 11:03:30 pm »
Not tonight, but there’s celebrity Sewing Bee on Boxing Day and New Years Eve!   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

« Reply #1853 on: 22 December, 2020, 10:18:02 am »
Utopia, on that Amazon. Chosen fairly randomly and not at all what I expected from the blurb. Lots more killing for a start. No idea where it's going, probably one of those end-of-season-never-renewed cliffhangers. Bonus points for the boss bad being called Doctor Rabbit.

The UK original (from Ch4) was amazing. “Who is Jessica Hynes”  :thumbsup:

I didn't realise there was a C4 version, but I don't have normal telly to keep the inspector man away.

The boss bad is actually Mr Rabbit. Probably a surgeon then.

Still very much enjoying it, though it's disturbing in places. Jessica is very off-kilter. They have to put a disclaimer at the front of every episode to specify that it's not about any 'specific pandemic.'

« Reply #1854 on: 22 December, 2020, 05:01:11 pm »
Watch it on catch-up, it’s totally worth it!

ian

« Reply #1855 on: 23 December, 2020, 09:10:35 pm »
Might have to dig it out. The Amazon one came to an end last night. Mr Rabbit didn't get jugged. Little Alice turned out to be quite impressively fearsome, not sure they're allowed to do that on British TV. Arby's suburban kill-spree with the homicidal tracksuit-wearing cult twins was delectable.

« Reply #1856 on: 24 December, 2020, 10:46:22 am »
Might have to dig it out. The Amazon one came to an end last night. Mr Rabbit didn't get jugged. Little Alice turned out to be quite impressively fearsome, not sure they're allowed to do that on British TV. Arby's suburban kill-spree with the homicidal tracksuit-wearing cult twins was delectable.

Did it have the eye torture scene though, with salt, chilli, bleach and a spoon?

ian

« Reply #1857 on: 24 December, 2020, 10:52:22 am »
Yes, it did. That's around the point I realised that it probably wasn't going to be the programme I expected from the blurb.

I do have series 2 of The Boys to watch over Christmas. The Amazon Originals are a lot better these days that the Netflix stuff, never did get to the end of Luke Cage.

« Reply #1858 on: 24 December, 2020, 02:18:12 pm »
The boys was interesting, in that at the start I felt they had sanitised it from the original (mostly the sex), but as they went on I feel they managed to make it darker in a number of ways.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1859 on: 24 December, 2020, 11:25:11 pm »
I quite enjoyed it, apart from
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1860 on: 01 January, 2021, 10:21:44 am »
Not worthy of the rant thread, just an irritation that spoiled my enjoyment of an otherwise moderately entertaining thing on telly...

‘Pandemonium’ - a light comedy about a family whose planned summer holiday in LA was ruined by the pandemic so they end up going to Margate in October instead. Like I said, moderately entertaining, although it was very much a by-the-numbers amalgamation of entirely familiar tropes - eg family tries to hide the fact that daughter is a lesbian from aged granny but it turns out she worked it out for herself and is perfectly fine with it. See also: dad opts not to book flexi flight tickets (‘We’re not going to change our plans’), someone jolts the suitcase, causing mum’s ‘electric toothbrush’ to switch on (‘But you don’t even have an electric toothbrush?!’)

The thing that irritated me was that they stopped off at Reculver on the way, which is fine, except that they parked their car somewhere entirely inaccessible to the public, which also entailed a bit of a walk to get to the towers, causing much friction with disgruntled teenagers. No idea why they didn’t stop in the sodding great public car park RIGHT NEXT TO the towers. They then could have gone for a nice coffee in Hat Hats as well. But maybe that wouldn’t have been quite as hilariously funny. (What’s more irritating is that there are perfectly legit places they could have parked if they wanted to do the moaning teenagers routine - I regularly park up the road in Bishopstone and walk down to Reculver with the dog.)

When they reached Margate, they then parked in another stupid place, right on the prom. Instead of on the roadside at the top of the cliff, where everyone else parks.

Oh, I see... it’s for comedy purposes again - and indeed how I laughed as the family watched haplessly on when the car, handbrake ‘accidentally’ left off, rolled off the prom and landed on its roof.

Apologies for spoilers, but it was all so predictable that you would have worked it out for yourself anyway.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #1861 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:07:56 pm »
In answer to the original question- on terrestrial TV? Fuck all to be honest.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1862 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:25:24 pm »
There's a Taskmaster New Year special on tonight! It's got @KrishGM on it!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1863 on: 01 January, 2021, 05:22:00 pm »
As I accidentally signed up for a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime I've just binged the first 6 episodes of S5 of "The Expanse".   Good stuff as usual. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1864 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:32:21 pm »
There's a Taskmaster New Year special on tonight! It's got @KrishGM on it!

By far the best thing that’s been on telly this year.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1865 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:18:58 am »
I have saved that for 2moro.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1866 on: 02 January, 2021, 07:11:56 am »
As I accidentally signed up for a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime I've just binged the first 6 episodes of S5 of "The Expanse".   Good stuff as usual.
Next stop: The man in the High Castle.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1867 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:46:24 pm »
Currently bingeing ‘Ghosts’ on I-player. Pure fluff. Excellent.
Milk please, no sugar.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1868 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:26:00 pm »
Final series of Engrenages (Spiral) starts tonight.

« Reply #1869 on: 08 January, 2021, 07:16:13 pm »
I've just seen a trailer for new BBC programs on tonight - 'Not Going Out' and 'Would I Lie to You' - Topical???  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1870 on: 08 January, 2021, 07:21:13 pm »
It’s David Bowie night on BBC4.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1871 on: 14 January, 2021, 04:13:05 pm »
^ I have taped the lot.

Watched the first episode of "The Serpent" which I did not enjoy (they did that thing where they tried to catch your interest by telling the story in such a way as you don't know what's going on ... because you won't care for any of the characters or be interested in the denouement otherwise), switched to Traces which I thought was better (on Ep 2, won't win awards so far but it is "good enough" to watch). 

Death in Paradise tonight though.

fuzzy

« Reply #1872 on: 14 January, 2021, 04:26:52 pm »
The Pembrokeshire Murders was good

« Reply #1873 on: 16 January, 2021, 11:00:14 am »
It’s David Bowie night on BBC4.
Watched “last five years”; it’s easy to Chuck together a documentary worth of unseen footage on Bowie and deliver nothing new, thankfully this was better than that.  I only give it a “C” as it isn’t as focussed on the last five years as I would have liked (the dips into the past are eminently watchable and fit in with the story telling, but not what I felt was billed).  I do feel much better about “the next day” now, if they toured with a recording of Bowie singing I would pay to see that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1874 on: 16 January, 2021, 11:02:29 am »
The Pembrokeshire Murders was good

Yes, we thought the same.
It is simpler than it looks.