Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254136 times)

hillbilly

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #675 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:52:19 pm »
I think Billy and I are doing something flattish on Sunday next, not sure what though.

Weather permitting...

Martin

« Reply #676 on: 30 January, 2015, 04:00:54 pm »
How about The Sea Lovers perm....... is that in or out ?

I know Martin has said "s'pose so".  And it's his award scheme.

But as a personal opinion.

It shouldn't (ditto LEL).

But then again, I am a purist about such things  :-*

I think it shouldn't either because it's an award based on espousing and encouraging hilly events in the SE. But it does comply to the rules which have remained unchanged (apart from extending the area into Hants and the IoW from 2008 when we lost a few of the original rides, notably Battle and Back, Sussex Corker and Hilly Chilterns) so it's allowed

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #677 on: 30 January, 2015, 04:07:47 pm »
Okey dokey, then I shall give it a go as part of my GdS SR.

If you change your mind, let me know as I'm easy either way.  :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #678 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:03:33 pm »
(Makes note that the 100km events can be upgraded to 200s by the magic of ECE).

indeed; might have to ECE MJJSM for my RRTY if next weekend gets snowed off....

I only remembered because I printed off a list of local 100s, as I am tempted to try my first ECE just to see what all the fuss is about.  There's a certain event on 4 July that looks doable from chez HB   :)

hillbilly

« Reply #679 on: 28 February, 2015, 04:28:48 pm »
Surrey Hills fans.

The A29 is closed at the moment North of ockley, but cyclists can sneak around the fence to get through to Anstie Lane.  It also means the road is quiet (usually I wouldn't ride to the Anstie, preferring Broomehall lane).

logmore lane, off coldharbour lane to Westcott, is closed and dug up for waterworks.  Bikes can't sneak around the fence at the moment.

Martin

« Reply #680 on: 07 March, 2015, 09:13:14 am »
Who's up for the Invicta Grimpeur? there's a road closed near Underrriver I haven't looked at the revised route yet but not going up One Tree aka Carters Hill would be nice  :)

Martin

« Reply #681 on: 16 March, 2015, 08:29:37 pm »
Lasham Loop lived up to its reputation, some arduous and concentrated little kicks up to the half time stop (the airfield is far better than the garden centre IMO) with excellent free food at the start and finish  :P

My bold attempt to wring extra AAA from the ECE to 200 via Harvesting Lane didn't work but I was glad of the flattish return north of Chichester (which all went pear shaped around Warninglid)

A great ride also very well supported, make a note for next year (and also Plodder's Whitchurch event in November)

« Reply #682 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:04:20 pm »
Have to find that Airfield one Martin as the Garden Centre was awful to be honest.

Time now to up the ante (not the Auntie!!) with the GdS rides and leave behind relative comfort of 100k rides for the 200km rides courtesy of Billy Weir so next up over April/May come the Meridian Hills then Around Weald Expedition  :)

Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #683 on: 17 March, 2015, 07:00:27 am »
Mind you don't up the Auntie.....he might get shirty.

I may have a tool around a GdS on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday. I've been saving The Meridian Hills for a sunny day and ice cream in Brighton 8), so it doesn't look like it'll be this time.

The Reliable might do nicely, or my 100km 2AAA DIY tour of the best fly tipping sites Kent has to offer.  :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #684 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:22:48 am »
Quick margin note.

The Sussexy Beast was put together to offer a stepping stone between the Down to Downs/Around Weald Expedition or the old AAA Milne/Meridian Hills.  It can be a useful card to hold if you are time constrained and want a lumpy ride.

Martin

« Reply #685 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:48:37 am »
I personally don't find Sussexy Beast that much easier than Meridian (but much easier than Around Weald) although I did resort to it as my last local AAA ride of last season after 3 consecutive solo Meridians gave me a severe sense of humour failure;

next up Lurcio's testing but scenic HOTSCH; then the IOW Randonnee (GdS eligible; also available as a DIY Audax pm me for the brevet number)

Have to find that Airfield one Martin as the Garden Centre was awful to be honest.

just continue after the garden centre ignore the next L turn on the route and it's about 1.2km on the L (from where either retrace or continue to the A339 than first L back  to Lasham village not much in it); there were a couple of dozen bikes there when we arrived

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #686 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:54:46 am »
The Sussexy Beast is a good'un, now I know where the phone box on Toy's Hill is.....it caught me out last time, as it was hidden behind a van and I rode straight past it and up the hill whilst thinking, hmmmmm I don't remember ever seeing a phone box at the top of this hill. DER!

Lurcio's HOTSCH comes at the end of a brutal AAA week in Wales, so It's going to be no ECE and a real challenge, hope the refreshments are up to scratch.  :P

Martin

« Reply #687 on: 21 April, 2015, 11:20:32 pm »
Chapeau to Jane W for completing a GdS in 6 days; a ladies' record AFAIK  :thumbsup: especailly for a Flatlander

next up the IOW Randonnee then PatC's Blackhouse Hill Revival; always a good event with  excellent catering  :P  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #688 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:40:19 am »
the IoW went superbly; shame it was very foggy over the cliffs near Freshwater but the sun came out on the deceptively un-flat section from Yarmouth to Wooton,

top tip next year either avoid the £££££ fast ferry to Ryde like the plague (use the car ferry instead) or buy a through train ticket (even just to the end of the pier) and save 1/3, this may even work with GroupSave

anyone thinking of Surrey Secrets now is the time to go, bluebells on Leith Hill are sublime  8)

hillbilly

« Reply #689 on: 05 May, 2015, 06:30:55 pm »
I was thinking about that at the weekend, but didn't get a chance to head over to Leith Hill (Broomehall Lane is fantastic for Bluebells).

The area around Toys Hill and Ide Hill (cf the Meridian and Around Weald) are also pretty good at the moment.  Heady clumps of bluebells with primroses dotted around the verges.  It's a generally nice time to ride in the area, wind and wet permitting. 

Later in the year, when the poppies come out is a good time to do the Meridian also, as these are resplendent on Ditchling Beacon.  They create a shimmering patchwork of crimson that stretches to the horizon.

« Reply #690 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:04:19 pm »

......then PatC's Blackhouse Hill Revival; always a good event with  excellent catering  :P  :thumbsup:

Yep, 240515, further info (route sheet, general info, gpx file, link to ridewithgps) on the AUK website........  http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-84/ 

Martin

« Reply #691 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:30:14 pm »
I was thinking about that at the weekend, but didn't get a chance to head over to Leith Hill (Broomehall Lane is fantastic for Bluebells).

The area around Toys Hill and Ide Hill (cf the Meridian and Around Weald) are also pretty good at the moment.  Heady clumps of bluebells with primroses dotted around the verges.  It's a generally nice time to ride in the area, wind and wet permitting. 

Later in the year, when the poppies come out is a good time to do the Meridian also, as these are resplendent on Ditchling Beacon.  They create a shimmering patchwork of crimson that stretches to the horizon.

+1 to the poppies on top of The Beacon; always a treat. Also cowslips up by Polesden Lacey and Gorse blossom on top of Ashdown Forest

could've got a few more AAA if I'd taken my Garmin off for the walk up Leith Hill tower yesterday  8) seemed odd that from the top the concrete scar of Gatwick appeared closer than the church spire on Ranmore Common

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #692 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:40:56 am »
Yesterday I rode the Down to Downs perm, which was my first Grimpeur du Sud. Having a control at Green St. Green makes getting to the start from central-ish London very easy because there are loads of trains to Orpington, from where it's less than 3 km to route. It was my first ride of 2015 in the sun, so the shorts and summer jersey put in an appearance. There were lots of fantastic views, silly signs and hills. However, the climbing wasn't too bad especially as the route doesn't go up one of the really really steep roads from Brasted to Cudham. I particular liked the route into Uckfield. For anyone interested my Garmin tracklog is here: click.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

hillbilly

« Reply #693 on: 28 May, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »
I am now imagining 500yds of road pebble dashed with squished frogs.

Down to Downs is nearly a perfect 100.  The only bit I used to have reservations about is the retrace at Uckfield.  It was always tempting to divert to the West so that you go back up the Ashdown ridge via a different road (Martin uses a very nice stretch on his AAA Milne, which pops out at Coleman's Hatch).

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #694 on: 28 May, 2015, 05:38:59 pm »
I think I now qualify for the GDS cloth badge - How do I claim the beast?

Martin

« Reply #695 on: 28 May, 2015, 10:19:45 pm »
I think I now qualify for the GDS cloth badge - How do I claim the beast?

send me your claim with a record of the qualifying rides; it must be 5 years of 5 rides or 10+10+5 or 10+5+5+5 & a badge will be in the post gratis  :)

ps only 15 left ever, when they're gone they're gone

However, the climbing wasn't too bad especially as the route doesn't go up one of the really really steep roads from Brasted to Cudham.

it has every time I've ridden it, I call it Barsted for that reason  :'(

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #696 on: 28 May, 2015, 10:59:48 pm »

Yeah, but it ain't as bad as White Lane.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Martin

« Reply #697 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:33:16 am »

Yeah, but it ain't as bad as White Lane.

you're not wrong there! haven't been near White Lane since Billy's calendar Around Weald in 2013;

a shame there are no calendar 200 GdS this year, I'm unlikely to organise another one

« Reply #698 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:27:51 am »
There is a 300 though.

(Still in negotiations as to whether or not I can ride it. It's 10 minutes from home, so rude not to; my parents have announced they're coming to stay that weekend, so rude to do so.)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #699 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:23:19 am »
I think I might show my ugly mug on that one. ☝︎