Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254856 times)

Martin

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #950 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:23:13 pm »
AAA points have ‘changed value’ several times since the scheme was created. It isn’t really possible to compare AAA points totals that are widely separated in time.

I'm aware of the 2009 change which was to award AAA based on metres climbed irrespective of distance (subject to a threshold for each distance) but that rule hasn't changed since in AUK AFAIK. What has changed is that previously eligible rides (calendar perm and DIY) have been downgraded but not uniformly across the UK. The South East with our many shorter sharper hills with lower maximum altitudes appear to have suffered more as a result.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #951 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:36:00 pm »
Previous to 2009, the AAA points system was revised once or twice. Changes to perm eligibility altered how many AAA points could be accumulated in a season too. All of those changes meant that AAA totals before and after each of the changes couldn’t be directly compared.

I figure that alterations in how altitude is measured (e.g. contour counting vs. GPS records) similarly means that direct comparisons before and after those sorts of transitions aren’t really possible. It is common knowledge that different GPS devices or altered settings or using various phones to record GPS tracks can give quite different elevation gains round the same route.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #952 on: 04 December, 2019, 01:31:23 am »
Having played with the Nasa 90m dem that gives Googles laughable elevation data, and tried out a few comparisons where I know rwgps' data is duff compared to Strava's crowd sourced barometric data (south loch tay road} I've just realized I've never thought to put a route using it through the tool to see what it's data makes of it.

I'm curious as to the nature of the os data, is it automated contour counting, a 3d model of the osgb grid or something else?

I can quite comfortably get AAA qualifying routes in "flat" Fife, rarely above 100 and mostly high single digit to mid-teen gradients.
Any imbalance from a consistent quality model would suggest previous methods were imbalanced.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Martin

« Reply #953 on: 04 December, 2019, 02:55:41 pm »
Surrey Secrets reinstated on the basis that its AAA have been honoured by the new system  :)

« Reply #954 on: 04 December, 2019, 05:26:57 pm »
Thanks for the clarifications, Martin. Surrey Secrets also comes in at 1870m for 1.75AAA as per Pete's variation.

Note that if you have any ride validated as a mandatory DIY and for whatever reason your track doesn't get awarded equivalent AAA then I am prepared to take the figures from the intended route as submitted if you flag this up to me.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Martin

« Reply #955 on: 04 December, 2019, 08:58:10 pm »
Thanks Ivan; I have directed SS entries to Manotea (as regional DIY man) but hopefully any (unlikely) problems will come to you eventually  :)

« Reply #956 on: 05 December, 2019, 08:04:35 pm »
Thanks for the update Martin. And thanks for the info Ivan.

I will look forward to riding it again ............ although some perusing the OS map has now convinced me that with a few more route tweaks I may be able to squeeze an extra couple of hundred metres out of it.....  :)

Martin

« Reply #957 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:22:50 pm »
Thanks for the update Martin. And thanks for the info Ivan.

I will look forward to riding it again ............ although some perusing the OS map has now convinced me that with a few more route tweaks I may be able to squeeze an extra couple of hundred metres out of it.....  :)

the route was devised by cover girl formerly OTP who made many variations / extensions around it including one which was worth 3AAA! I wanted to make it a calendar event with the Secrets being just that, secret controls, but it was a logistical nightmare. I rode it many times when I lived near there and never needed a triple chainset unlike Tour of the Hills

Be sure to look out for the Space Station en route! and the cheese straws in Peaslake village shop  :P just before the aptly named Walking Bottom

« Reply #958 on: 06 December, 2019, 07:28:31 pm »
I did spot the space laboratory, which I definitely wasn't expecting in a leafy surrey lane!

All those Surrey Secrets variations sound intriguing. Do they still exist anywhere (e.g. rwgps), or are they now lost in the mists of time?

Martin

« Reply #959 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:54:14 pm »
Chiltern pub crawl and Sussex Midsummer Corker added  :)

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

« Reply #960 on: 26 January, 2020, 06:24:18 pm »
^^ The Shark has been revised downwards to 3 AAA  3110m of climbing    for 2020 :(  Wealden erosion?  But the Otford Invicta 100 is uplifted to 2 from 1.75 [1890m]  Swings and roundabouts...   

Martin

« Reply #961 on: 26 January, 2020, 06:50:28 pm »
Thanks  :) AAA updated and all changed to non Yoda format!

rob

« Reply #962 on: 06 March, 2020, 10:04:16 am »
4 rides done.   Hopefully the Invicta Grimpeur this Sunday will complete the set.

Been quite good fun doing something different this year.

« Reply #963 on: 06 March, 2020, 10:45:43 am »
4 rides done.   Hopefully the Invicta Grimpeur this Sunday will complete the set.

But Grimpeur d'Or is 10 rides ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

rob

« Reply #964 on: 06 March, 2020, 10:56:36 am »

Yeah, I saw that.   I’m not sure I can fit another 5 rides in.

I’ve entered the Shark and I can start the Meridien Hills just done the road so maybe Easter.   After that life gets a bit complicated.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #965 on: 06 March, 2020, 11:48:09 am »
ugh I won't be able to make the Shark - booked in for Dirty Reiver. What a pity.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #966 on: 06 March, 2020, 11:57:02 am »

Rob's done 4 this year so will become a GdS on Sunday, another 5 this year will make him an Or.

Remember the gold badge is only for completing 5 years (or 3 if you do 10+10+5)

« Reply #967 on: 06 March, 2020, 12:14:00 pm »

Rob's done 4 this year so will become a GdS on Sunday, another 5 this year will make him an Or.

Remember the gold badge is only for completing 5 years (or 3 if you do 10+10+5)

I was just trying to tempt Rob to aim for a few more rides ... he's got until the end of the year!

Re the gold badge, did I collect that at Knight's Templar? I'm not sure I did.

rob

« Reply #968 on: 06 March, 2020, 01:51:47 pm »
Yeah, but we move in August and all these local rides I’m rediscovering will we harder to get to.

The Sussexy Beast I did on Saturday was epic with all types of weather.   I could get to the start with a train assist as well.

Did I see somewhere that the ACME grand counted ?  Doesn’t mention it on the website.

« Reply #969 on: 06 March, 2020, 01:59:35 pm »
Did I see somewhere that the ACME grand counted ?  Doesn’t mention it on the website.

Yes it does, as it starts in Essex. I used that to get my GdS SR a couple of years ago, counting as the 600.

I've got an off-road DIY 65km route around Epping Forest which gets 1.25 AAA points. That counts, and to my knowledge is the only AAA route wholly within Essex!

Martin

« Reply #970 on: 06 March, 2020, 02:26:37 pm »

Yes it does, as it starts in Essex. I used that to get my GdS SR a couple of years ago, counting as the 600.

I've got an off-road DIY 65km route around Epping Forest which gets 1.25 AAA points. That counts, and to my knowledge is the only AAA route wholly within Essex!

The Grand is now added, I think it didn't run last year

a 65km ride is not a GdS it needs to be 100km, and at least 1.5AAA

No I didn't give you a badge; are you doing the Reliable calendar? can bring it to that

« Reply #971 on: 06 March, 2020, 02:33:07 pm »
a 65km ride is not a GdS it needs to be 100km, and at least 1.5AAA

No I didn't give you a badge; are you doing the Reliable calendar? can bring it to that

Re the first point, I stand corrected.

Re the second point, I'll let you know nearer the time. Depends on whether I get out to Italy, which doesn't look highly likely at the moment!

rob

« Reply #972 on: 06 March, 2020, 03:44:22 pm »
Right, so with the Shark and the Meridien Hills (poss Easter) I’ll get to 7.   If I do both of Martin’s 100k Sussex perms and then the ACME Grand I’ll have 10.   My big ride in May is in the Netherlands and looks reasonably safe for now.

« Reply #973 on: 06 March, 2020, 08:03:38 pm »
Around Weald Expedition is another highly recommended GdS perm, I think I found it a bit harder than Meridian Hills although the stats are very similar.

Martin

« Reply #974 on: 06 March, 2020, 11:36:11 pm »
Around Weald Expedition is another highly recommended GdS perm, I think I found it a bit harder than Meridian Hills although the stats are very similar.

AWE is much harder than MH IMO due to the stiffer climbs especially at the London end. Rumour has it that Billy set up MH for a couple of AAA nutters in 2013 as it was on their patch.