Author Topic: Rugby - not 6 nations.  (Read 6157 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Rugby - not 6 nations.
« Reply #25 on: 12 August, 2023, 09:06:31 pm »
I agree. I've always thought that Farrell was a bad-tempered, ill-disciplined player, but until this afternoon I hadn't spotted the article in which it stated that he accepted that his tackling technique had to change. He clearly hasn't done that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26 on: 12 August, 2023, 09:30:41 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/aug/09/former-ireland-rugby-star-ronan-ogara-turns-the-air-bleu

Some absolutely choice fuckinranglais in that video with Ronan O'Gara!

« Reply #27 on: 12 August, 2023, 09:42:25 pm »
This thread seems to have vapourised?

The Movers

• We just work here
« Reply #28 on: 12 August, 2023, 10:06:50 pm »
We put it back, innit.  Any risk of a cuppa?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #29 on: 12 August, 2023, 10:23:14 pm »
We put it back, innit.  Any risk of a cuppa?

Sun's over the yardarm. I have some rather good ale...

« Reply #30 on: 13 August, 2023, 11:34:40 am »
Owen Farrell is a dirty fuck and for the sake other players safety & wellbeing needs a lengthy ban - this is nothing new though

England looked better with George Ford on the pitch, I think he should start and Marcus Smith off the bench

Two weeks in a row Scotland have made great comebacks against France, who don't quite look (international) match fit, yet

Scotland's backline looks great, Russell is really on form as is the Huw-ipulotu centre pairing

Based on recent performances England & Wales are both going to get slaughtered by Ireland & SA next weekend

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #31 on: 19 August, 2023, 06:08:06 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66551057

It seems the red card has been overturned by a disciplinary panel, and World Rugby are appealing to reinstate it. My impression is that there's politicking going on here, and player safety isn't being made the top priority.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #32 on: 19 August, 2023, 11:44:35 pm »
Vunipola had his yellow card upgraded to a red this afternoon in a very similar incident to Farrell's last week. It seemed all too easy for Ireland, with what seemed like umpteen tries scored by unmarked wingers after long passes out wide.

Borthwick must have Vunipola in his plans for the World Cup else he wouldn't be picking him for games like this one. But how many matches will he miss and will it be worth taking him?

PS I didn't even bother to look for Wales's highlights against South Africa because, basically, there weren't any.

« Reply #33 on: 20 August, 2023, 12:05:38 am »
Did South Africa pick a lot of second team players?  I expected the score (big as it was in the Saffers' favour) to be bigger and that they would still win if they had declared at half-time and not come out.  After all, even England beat Wales last week.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 20 August, 2023, 12:15:54 am »
Don't know about South Africa, but the Welsh team was very short on experience, apparently.

« Reply #35 on: 21 August, 2023, 08:27:37 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66551057

It seems the red card has been overturned by a disciplinary panel, and World Rugby are appealing to reinstate it. My impression is that there's politicking going on here, and player safety isn't being made the top priority.

2 in 2 weeks from England feels like a problem

Did South Africa pick a lot of second team players?  I expected the score (big as it was in the Saffers' favour) to be bigger and that they would still win if they had declared at half-time and not come out.  After all, even England beat Wales last week.

There's some with injuries and some who're (Kolisi particularly) just back from injury, they did get beat by NZ in the Rugby Championship this year so clearly they're not firing on all cylinders but their front row seems as ruthless as ever

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #36 on: 22 August, 2023, 12:50:46 am »

There's some with injuries and some who're (Kolisi particularly) just back from injury, they did get beat by NZ in the Rugby Championship this year so clearly they're not firing on all cylinders but their front row seems as ruthless as ever

NZ and SA play this Friday at Twickenham. It will be interesting to see the teams selected for this match.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:11:48 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 26 August, 2023, 05:27:42 pm »
Luckily today was just a friendly warm up match…
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 27 August, 2023, 08:06:34 pm »
France shaping up well for the World Cup.  England, well...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #40 on: 27 August, 2023, 08:22:17 pm »
Vunipola had his yellow card upgraded to a red this afternoon in a very similar incident to Farrell's last week. It seemed all too easy for Ireland, with what seemed like umpteen tries scored by unmarked wingers after long passes out wide.

Borthwick must have Vunipola in his plans for the World Cup else he wouldn't be picking him for games like this one. But how many matches will he miss and will it be worth taking him?

PS I didn't even bother to look for Wales's highlights against South Africa because, basically, there weren't any.

England basically just too fucking stoopid to learn from one week to the next. I don't think Farrell is an inentionally dirty player, just thick as pigshit, and unable to adapt to the new reality. just look at how he interacts with the referee, it's like a petulant toddler being told to finish his broccoli
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #41 on: 28 August, 2023, 12:58:08 am »

England basically just too fucking stoopid to learn from one week to the next. I don't think Farrell is an inentionally dirty player, just thick as pigshit, and unable to adapt to the new reality. just look at how he interacts with the referee, it's like a petulant toddler being told to finish his broccoli

I think that there is an opportunity for us (England) to have a few reasonable matches while he finishes his broccoli...
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 18 January, 2024, 11:59:17 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJChmhe9A4&ab_channel=rockystorm

For some reason, this lovely documentary made by Eddie Butler on the 40th anniversary of the Lions' 1971 tour had previously passed me by. Looking back at that team, I'm hard-pressed to think of a better player since then in their specific positions than almost half that Lions side. Gareth Edwards and Barry John were outstanding at half-back, although Edwards played an uncharacteristically poor game in the second test, that the Lions lost. Gerald Davies was as good a wing as you will ever see, (tips hat to David Campese and Jonah Lomu, and John Bevan equalled the try-scoring record on a NZ tour). Mike Gibson was a wonderful centre, Willie-John McBride was a powerhouse of a lock forward, Mervyn Davies was a brilliant no 8 and I still think that JPR Williams has no equal at full back. I don't think that John Dawes' record as a centre would place him amongst the all-time greats, but as a rugby strategist, alongside the coach Carwyn James, he was second to none, and it was their combined brilliance that set the tone for the tour.