Author Topic: Erling Haaland  (Read 2673 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Erling Haaland
« on: 15 March, 2023, 03:31:21 pm »
I've watched this guy a few times in highlights over the past few months. He's just broken some record about premier league goals, having (IIRC) score 39 in 38 matches.

I have to say that I haven't observed a great deal of finesse in his play. He's big, he's strong, he kicks the ball very hard and usually in the right direction. That seems to be effective enough. Yesterday he scored 5 in the Champions' League before being substituted after 62 minutes. Impressive.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Erling Haaland
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2023, 11:16:09 am »
Having seen his goals in last night's slaughter of Burnley, I think he is much more than a "good-old fashioned centre forward".  They relied chiefly on their strength and fearlessness.  He has both of those, certainly and is also not a "fancy Dan".  But his footwork last night last night was very deft and dazzling to watch.  I think it was his second goal (I might be wrong) where he seemed to use the outside of his foot to strike the ball into the goal, when the defender was probably expecting him to let it run to his right foot.  Far from old-fashioned!  Though I, too, would like more forwards to return to old-fashioned ways.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2023, 11:33:49 am »
Yes, I agree with that. Both of his first two goals showed wonderful delicacy of touch which I hadn’t spotted before. The third seemed to demonstrate great anticipation of what might happen if the other forward’s shot was parried - knowing how to be in the right place at the right time.

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2023, 04:03:15 pm »
He also makes goals for other people, both directly (with crosses etc.) and by his running off the ball. Not that I'm an expert - just a watcher.

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2023, 05:27:29 pm »
Don't run yourself down, Drossall: an "expert" is just a watcher who doesn't realise they are just a watcher - and gets paid for their lack of personal awareness.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2023, 11:00:42 pm »
His goal this evening sets a new record for a premiership season. Poor old West Ham kept City out for the first half, but after that...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:25:48 pm »
Only two goals though - needs to raise his effort. He got a hat-trick against them in their FA cup game back in March.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2024, 08:31:49 pm »
I've watched Haaland a few times in highlights this season. He really seems to have gone off the boil. He was injured for a while, but today against Chelsea had had three or four pretty good chances and missed the lot.