Author Topic: I was there...  (Read 4888 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: I was there...
« Reply #50 on: 04 September, 2023, 02:50:03 pm »
Devon Malcolm 9/57 against South Africa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NncjEUUESU

What people also forget is that Alan Donald saw this spell of bowling and marked up his run up with all the glee of Will E Coyote being served up Roadrunner on a plate.  A certain Mr G Gooch worked on the principle if you are going to slash, slash hard, and ended up with 33 of 20 balls, one A Donald's spell 2-0-23-0  and England 107-1 at the close.

The other great Oval memory is Phil Tufnell's bamboozling spell of 6 wickets for 4 runs either side of lunch against the West Indies where, on a fast wicket, he bowled slow loopy turning deliveries which gave the batters time to outwit themselves.  The West Indies had to follow against England for the first time in 22 years.  Desmond Haynes carried his bat for 75 and there were ironic cheers in the second innings when he reached 25 and brought up a 100.  I've always wondered what he thought standing at the other end.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #51 on: 04 September, 2023, 03:32:06 pm »
which gave the batters time to outwit themselves

Excellent!

« Reply #52 on: 04 September, 2023, 03:41:07 pm »
I was at Old Trafford when Ferguson (remember him?) presided over his first home game.  The atmosphere was subdued.  Little did anyone know.
Move Faster and Bake Things

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #53 on: 07 September, 2023, 10:38:17 pm »
I was at Old Trafford when Ferguson (remember him?) presided over his first home game.  The atmosphere was subdued.  Little did anyone know.

Saw him play for Falkirk FC in the early 70s.  Tail end of his playing career mind but he had sharp elbows.