Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 88009 times)

Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #350 on: 18 September, 2016, 10:46:43 am »
Yup.  Well done everyone.

« Reply #351 on: 21 September, 2016, 12:03:54 pm »
Simon's ride is on the Results now.

A notable way to reach 100 points  :thumbsup:

« Reply #352 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:16:42 pm »
If I wanted to ride this in the next couple of months what's the procedure? Do I need to contact Shawn Shaw (anyone got his email?) or do I nick someone's GPS track and try and do a DIY by GPS?

I don't normally worry about ride speeds but remember smeth talking about BRM minimums - do I need to worry about this? Or is it just x hours for the 1000k? I'm probably going to start, try and bash out as much as possible and bivvy when I get tired, rest, repeat. Basically training for TransAm whilst also riding a hardcore 1000k for my collection.

« Reply #353 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:23:11 pm »
The first calendar event was scheduled at 15k/hr minimum.  Only 3 or 4 (can't remember) of us were inside that.  Shawn appealed and ACP told him the minimum should be 13.333 (etc.).  How that is interpreted is down to your friendly perm or DIY organiser.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #354 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:51:17 pm »
Hippy, It doesnt exist as a Perm so just submit a track and checkpoints to your DIY org using the mandatory routes by GPS method. I based mine on the original route sheet for the calendar event in 2000. Checkpoints were a little different as Shawn arranged some controls in people's homes. I just wanted to do it at 15kph RM speed to do  the same as the calendar riders in the originals. 75 hrs. My choice. If you want tracks etc PM me. I'll cc a message I sent to another rider. More info than you'll need. Just look up the Diy procedure and online entry on the AUK  site. There is info on Shaun's wessexsr website. Crackpot icon on home page. Sorry if this is eggsucky. Cheers. Smeth

« Reply #355 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:52:09 pm »
The first calendar event was scheduled at 15k/hr minimum.  Only 3 or 4 (can't remember) of us were inside that.  Shawn appealed and ACP told him the minimum should be 13.333 (etc.).  How that is interpreted is down to your friendly perm or DIY organiser.

Let's just aim for 15kph in the first instance and see what happens. If it's not validated I will do it again, faster.

Smeth

« Reply #356 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:00:37 pm »
It's late and I'm talking nonsense. 75 hrs is 13.33. 15kph is required for RM usually for controls at up to 600. Orgs have discretion so Shaun determined this to be Axminster at 440k. Once you've made that you win hours as the average for the whole distance is 13.33. My bad.

« Reply #357 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:06:46 pm »
Hippy, It doesn't exist as a Perm so just submit a track and checkpoints to your DIY org using the mandatory routes by GPS method. I based mine on the original route sheet for the calendar event in 2000. Checkpoints were a little different as Shawn arranged some controls in people's homes. I just wanted to do it at 15kph RM speed to do the same as the calendar riders in the originals. 75 hrs. My choice. If you want tracks etc PM me. I'll cc a message I sent to another rider. More info than you'll need. Just look up the Diy procedure and online entry on the AUK  site. There is info on Shaun's wessexsr website. Crackpot icon on home page. Sorry if this is eggsucky. Cheers. Smeth

I think that's Paul Stewart since I'm London-based. Looks like I need some virtual brevets from: https://www.aukweb.net/forms/diycards.php, send the GPS and money and details to Paul and wait for him to OK it then go for it through: https://www.aukweb.net/forms/entryformdiym.php

75hrs? Not 66? Do they add sleep time for the longer ride?

Cheers for your help, I'll PM you, I'm not very clued up with this DIY thang if you couldn't tell. :D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #358 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:22:57 pm »
Aspiring SE Crackpots should enter a Mandatory DIY Perm and enter DIYSE4339 in the additional info box. No other route info needed. I'll let you have a gpx track to follow, as ridden by previous crackpots (hopefully it matches the routesheet!).

« Reply #359 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:30:27 pm »
Aspiring SE Crackpots should enter a Mandatory DIY Perm and enter DIYSE4339 in the additional info box. No other route info needed. I'll let you have a gpx track to follow, as ridden by previous crackpots (hopefully it matches the routesheet!).

Cheers! Is there a list of these DIY codes for other popular/known/previous calendar rides?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #360 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:39:22 pm »

Cheers! Is there a list of these DIY codes for other popular/known/previous calendar rides?

No... I've got a few as submitted by riders... I'd not be comfortable with publishing a list at this time, it raises all sorts of issues yet to be adddressed (ref this thread)

« Reply #361 on: 04 October, 2016, 10:24:05 am »
No... I've got a few as submitted by riders... I'd not be comfortable with publishing a list at this time, it raises all sorts of issues yet to be adddressed (ref this thread)

Ah, audax controversy! :)

I meant for events that don't have calendar versions or routes that are familiar to people but don't have an event, say E2E or something.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #362 on: 05 October, 2016, 08:56:47 pm »
I have to say,  hats off to all who have done this without it being a perm and without it being a calendar event for some time...

H

« Reply #363 on: 15 October, 2016, 10:51:27 pm »
If anyone's interested, I finally wrote up my recent crackpot experience ...

https://adultmale.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/the-crackpot-part-3/

Smeth

« Reply #364 on: 16 October, 2016, 12:46:26 am »
Great write-up and a good time to get round in. At least as hard as the standard start I reckon, if not more so. It brought the memories flooding back- no pun intended. The emotions as much as the places. Nice one.

« Reply #365 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:04:42 am »
Fantastic write-up  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #366 on: 16 October, 2016, 03:52:36 pm »
Thanks ! Writing about it brought it all back for me too.  I'll definitely ride it again sometime - but with mudguards ...  :facepalm:

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #367 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:42:56 pm »

Brilliant stuff, truly impressive. And the composition of the report is nearly as good as the feat of riding the event.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Hummers

« Reply #368 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:53:45 pm »

Brilliant stuff, truly impressive. And the composition of the report is nearly as good as the feat of riding the event.

Not at all for me. It is an unfulfilled ambition of mine.

H

« Reply #369 on: 16 October, 2016, 07:58:29 pm »
Wow.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #370 on: 17 October, 2016, 07:44:49 pm »

H

Thanks Alfapete!

Hummers - a group perm has to happen! Got any good dates? Maybe discuss it at the reunion if you're there on the Friday night?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #371 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:14:49 pm »
Late May-2017?  :demon:

Hummers

« Reply #372 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:18:50 pm »

H

Thanks Alfapete!

Hummers - a group perm has to happen! Got any good dates? Maybe discuss it at the reunion if you're there on the Friday night?

Am up on the Saturday and will be able to hold a conversation at any time up until 9pm.  :thumbsup:

After that I am aiming for any meaningful intercourse to be at best difficult to recall and at best impossible to discern.  :demon:

That would be a realistic target.

H

« Reply #373 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:56:07 pm »

Am up on the Saturday and will be able to hold a conversation at any time up until 9pm.  :thumbsup:

After that I am aiming for any meaningful intercourse to be at best difficult to recall and at best impossible to discern.  :demon:

That would be a realistic target.

H

Isn't that Brimstone territory? Early to mid-June would be good for a Mille Pennines warm up ...  :facepalm:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #374 on: 17 October, 2016, 09:24:54 pm »
Has any Wessex aficionado noticed that Porkers 400 is Sunday 07 May, rather than the Bank Holiday weekend?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...