Author Topic: Four Rivers 200 from Shrewsbury  (Read 2357 times)

Four Rivers 200 from Shrewsbury
« on: 11 May, 2010, 04:11:35 pm »
Anyone one else on the forum doing this ride? Looks a lovely route.

Re: Four Rivers 200 from Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2010, 05:30:11 pm »
My friends and I ride the Three Rivers event most years, and would have ridden it this year too.......however.

I could find no mention in the Audax on-line calendar of either the Three or Four rivers events and therefore presumed that they weren't being run this year  :(

Therefore we made other cycling arrangements for that weekend instead.

The Three Rivers is a shorter version of the Four Rivers event and is quite 'scenic'. Always enjoyed it, particularly when in years gone by, the last control was in a pub.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:44:56 pm »
I could find no mention in the Audax on-line calendar of either the Three or Four rivers events and therefore presumed that they weren't being run this year  :(

Odd. It's been in there since the beginning of the year.

Three Rivers is a simple out and back to Lake Bala, with a couple of *big* climbs but lots of flat as well. Four Rivers takes a more scenic route out to Vyrnwy via the Long Mynd, Bishops Castle, Montgomery and some undulating roads through Llanfair Caereinion, Dolanog and Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa to join the Three Rivers route at Vyrnwy.

I'll be helping at the start (seeing as how I'm mentoring the new organiser) and possibly riding the 3 Rivers (hopefully this will be the first outing for our new tandem).

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:01:56 pm »

Three Rivers is a simple out and back to Lake Bala, with a couple of *big* climbs but lots of flat as well. Four Rivers takes a more scenic route out to Vyrnwy via the Long Mynd, Bishops Castle, Montgomery and some undulating roads through Llanfair Caereinion, Dolanog and Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa to join the Three Rivers route at Vyrnwy.

Sounds like the first bit of the old Pengwern Pedal 300.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

JohnHamilton

« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:23:56 pm »
Sounds like the first bit of the old Pengwern Pedal 300.

It is basically the Pengwern Pedal minus the boring flat bit round north Shropshire at the end.

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:40:24 pm »
I could find no mention in the Audax on-line calendar of either the Three or Four rivers events and therefore presumed that they weren't being run this year  :(

Odd. It's been in there since the beginning of the year.

Oops, my only reply to this is  :-[
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2010, 11:33:07 am »
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=129334

Here is a GPX of the route - I've plotted it from the route sheet but do not hold me responsible for any inaccuracy  :-\

Deborah

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2010, 03:06:57 pm »
I have done this in the past.  It was my second ever audax and although I struggled because I am not great at refuelling when I should, I enjoyed it.  The route is a lovely one.  I would recommend it.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2010, 07:11:53 am »
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=129334

Here is a GPX of the route - I've plotted it from the route sheet but do not hold me responsible for any inaccuracy  :-\

That's right apart from the L turn off the B5067 on the run in to the finish is one turn too early.

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2010, 08:13:43 am »
I rode this event last year.  Its early start probably deterred riders and the field was limited to around the mid-twenties.  However, it was worth it.

The character of the countryside varies greatly from the familiar Stretton Hills, the roly-poly section between Montgomery and the first control, the climb through the the windswept and wild Arrans and down to the picturesque Lake Bala.  The climb from Bala back towards home is unrelenting, beyond which there is long descent and the route eases of in severity back to Shrubbery.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:32:25 am »
And the weather looks wonderful :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:46:26 am »
I am in the Lake Vyrnwy area tomorrow so I'll look out for you.

« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2010, 07:54:36 pm »
And the weather looks wonderful :)

Albeit a little too hot. There again I am never satisfied.

The climb out of Bala was made even more hard going by the temperatures.  Otherwise it was good day.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2010, 11:42:08 am »
Really wonderful day out - really enjoyed it. Lovely route, good controls and wonderful company all day. And the weather was perfect for riding.

« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2010, 11:58:23 am »
I drove past a fair few of you coming back from Bala, (I was heading West for a mega fell run... my dark side  :-[).

You all looked very very hot!