Author Topic: Tonight (22 May) - spare gig ticket, London  (Read 660 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Tonight (22 May) - spare gig ticket, London
« on: 22 May, 2015, 01:29:28 pm »
I find myself with a spare ticket to see The Ukrainians this evening in Hoxton at 19:30.

For those unfamiliar with the band...
The Ukrainians grew out of a project started by 80s Indie darlings The Wedding Present. The group, at the instigation of guitarist Peter Solowka, decided to make one of their sessions for the BBC's John Peel Show a Ukrainian one! Peter's friend 'The Legendary Len' was drafted in as an extra member because he sang, played a scratchy, authentic village-sounding violin and was a student of Slavonic languages! The group recorded the first session and it was duly broadcast. Then Peel played it again...and again...and again!  - its still being played - most recently on BBCR6, November 2014 !!

What was intended to be a one-off bit of fun turned into a second session, at Peel's request. This session, which included Ukrainian mandolinist Roman Remeynes, was also played numerous times. As a result, there was pressure to release these first two sessions as an album, and so Ukrainski Vistupi V Johna Peela was born. Although the band only played an 8 day UK tour to promote it, it sold almost 70,000 copies worldwide.

More

If you're interested please get in touch ASAP.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Tonight (22 May) - spare gig ticket, London
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2015, 07:03:06 pm »
Bother just seen this, not that I could have made it if I saw it at the time of posting. Enjoy! It will be a great night.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit