Author Topic: Cycle trainers  (Read 2236 times)

Cycle trainers
« on: 04 September, 2019, 07:14:57 am »

I am looking at buying a cheapish second hand trainer from eBay and they seem to come as either mag, fluid or turbo.
Are these just variations on the same theme or does one have advantages over another?
Any advice appreciated. Cheers
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Cycle trainers
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2019, 07:32:04 am »
I have used all three types over the years and would recommend a fluid trainer such as the Elite Chrono. A fluid turbo changes resistance as you change gear (for the same cadence) so a more realistic experience. Irrespective of the trainer though it's the software now available that was the game changer for me regarding how useful a turbo trainer is.

If you want to use it with apps that work with power then you'll also need a speed and cadence sensor which will allow most training apps to calculate virtual power.

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:32:01 am »
Thanks for replying.

I am only looking at keeping my legs in trim. I've been 'running' (more of a joggy shuffle) for the last few months but it is giving me sore hips and left knee. I was thinking that supported on a bike may be better.

Cheers

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:35:51 am »
You think right.  Even if you're just shuffling it's still weight-bearing, and some level of impact will be involved.

Why not get out on the road, though?  It's infinitely more fun than indoors.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:16:36 am »
Fluid trainers have a predicable curve of power vs. "speed" so if you like you can measure power using something as simple as a bike computer and a chart

If you want something more hi tech then a bluetooth speed sensor can connect to a laptop (or other computer) and then the speed can be used to plot the power in programs like Golden Cheetah

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:34:09 am »

Why not get out on the road, though? 

Lost my mojo. Bikes are ready but I am not.
I may need a thread on this later  :)

« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:35:54 am »
Fluid trainers have a predicable curve of power vs. "speed" so if you like you can measure power using something as simple as a bike computer and a chart

If you want something more hi tech then a bluetooth speed sensor can connect to a laptop (or other computer) and then the speed can be used to plot the power in programs like Golden Cheetah

I'm thinking low tech. One of my son in laws passed on his iWatch and I rarely understand what it does  :)

« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:59:25 am »
I am looking at buying a cheapish second hand trainer from eBay ...

Does it have to be eBay or would YACF be good enough? I just ask as FatBloke is selling one, here.
Thanks for pointing that out.
I have sent him a PM

« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2019, 07:56:48 pm »
I have got a basic £90 elite mag trainer that has been faultless for 6 years.   I use it heavily but only ever for zone 1/2 type base work in front of a tv.   It wouldn’t be much good for much more than that.  Best bet is to buy a turbo specific tyre with it though which will both last for ever and keep noise down

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2019, 01:34:58 pm »
I have got a basic £90 elite mag trainer that has been faultless for 6 years.   I use it heavily but only ever for zone 1/2 type base work in front of a tv.   It wouldn’t be much good for much more than that.  Best bet is to buy a turbo specific tyre with it though which will both last for ever and keep noise down

I got an Elite Chrono Fluid off eBay for a tenner and a long drive into the sticks and back. I'll take your advice about the tyre.
Cheers

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2019, 02:40:51 pm »
If you have the cash to so!ash, or can find one second hand, I'd heartily recommend the StacZero, a magnetic trainer using your existing wheel and magnets next to the rims to induce eddy currents and resistance.  Weights on the wheel make it more life-like feel.

I use it with my Garmin on indoor mode, just to record it, and ANT+ to the tacx TTS4 software, although any of the online services would also work. If you don't want that, then there is also a basic app you can use for just steady state work.

Bonus, no faffing with turbo specific wheels or tyres, jus plug and go. I keep a spare wheel with no tyre and the weights on it as its easier that way than putting the weights on/off each time
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens