Author Topic: 21st birthday present suggestions  (Read 3311 times)

Re: 21st birthday present suggestions
« Reply #25 on: 17 August, 2020, 07:43:35 pm »
My daughter is in Budapest, and there are strict quarantine regs for UK citizens, so popping over isn't an option. Shame, as we've seen some good CBSO concerts at Brum's Symphony Hall. Budapest also has some very grand venues.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #26 on: 28 August, 2020, 05:00:53 pm »
I had the opportunity to talk to a medical student today. She said she'd been given a 3M Littman IV Cardiology stethoscope and she loved it. So, does anyone here with a medical background have access to a seller? I'd really like to have it laser engraved. Is there any way of avoiding the VAT?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #27 on: 28 August, 2020, 05:32:52 pm »
We usually use Medisave.co.uk for electronic amplified stethoscopes and they do engraving and a box etc. I don't think there's a legit way to avoid VAT on them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 28 August, 2020, 06:14:45 pm »
Littman Cardiology stethoscopes are lovely.

My caution about the longevity of the tubing stands though.

« Reply #29 on: 29 August, 2020, 01:36:17 pm »
Noted Helly, thanks. There are refurb kits available with new tubing and earpieces for about £25.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 29 August, 2020, 02:13:43 pm »
For my 21st I was lucky enough to be taken to the royal Albert Hall to see Diana Krall live. It was a party of five as we also took an Aunt and Uncle who appreciate that type of Jazz. I still have the programme at home.

Bit of a surprise to see John Prescott in the entrance lobby.

A friend of mine, sadly no longer with us, was very keen on jazz. He was a regular concert-goer and once, at the Festival Hall, found himself seated next to Kenneth Clarke, to whom he commented "I come all this way for a pleasant evening out and find myself sitting next to a bloody tory!" Clarke was very amused, apparently.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 30 August, 2020, 01:03:57 am »
Noted Helly, thanks. There are refurb kits available with new tubing and earpieces for about £25.

Thanks! I've never encountered those!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #32 on: 30 August, 2020, 01:21:03 am »
I worked out what i got for my 21st birthday...Nothing.

Tho I had the joy of organising a surprise 21st birthday party for my elder brother (16 months before mine) but people were too busy for mine.  So I got the joy of being dragged (as I listened to my parents wishes) to Italy (as the second driver) to collect elder brother shite and drag it back to England. No one wished me happy birthday on the day either.  Both parents could work out what this issue was. Oh and the seeing my uncle whom I was named after, in the last throngs of life.

After my recent Mothers death, I found out I was in hospital for two months after I was born so might have been a bit memorable.  Obviously not. 

EDIT wow I didn't know I was that bitter about it.

Sorry probably delete this.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #33 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:23:20 am »
Quote from: arabella
I got given some jewellery.  I said I didn't want it and never have worn it.
I was going to suggest jewellery, if she likes jewellery.  It's something that'll last and can be carted around - young people do tend to the peripatetic - without taking up lots of space and even if it's not worn often it will become a lasting reminder of the giver.  I have some cuff-links that I was given for my 21st by now long dead friends and on the very, very rare occasions that they are worn they are a welcome reminder of some very happy times with two lovely people.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #34 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:51:50 am »
On the theme of gifts from people; I have a pair of Christmas socks given to me in 1987 by a lovely Scots lass with whom I had a brief, but intense fling. I put them on ever 25/12 and sigh briefly.

« Reply #35 on: 04 September, 2020, 11:02:03 am »
OK, I went for a 3M Littmann IV Cardiology Stethoscope. Assuming she qualifies, it'll be hanging round her neck for years and a good reminder of her 21st. There are other little things being placed in the parcel too, of course. I just need to find a reliable way of getting it to her, as Fedex didn't do a good job last time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 04 September, 2020, 11:29:21 am »
I just need to find a reliable way of getting it to her, as Fedex didn't do a good job last time.

Paging teethgrinder.  Teethgrinder to the red courtesy phone please...

« Reply #37 on: 04 September, 2020, 02:16:50 pm »
Thanks. UPS were probably the chosen ones...

« Reply #38 on: 04 September, 2020, 09:13:08 pm »
An Elon Musk tattoo voucher.  Give her a head start.
Move Faster and Bake Things