Author Topic: Quizzes - UK Landmarks by County  (Read 3854 times)

Quizzes - UK Landmarks by County
« on: 16 April, 2019, 11:44:04 pm »
hard, but good series - I’ve not managed more than 60% in any except Lancashire (which is where I live and has some giveaways)

Re: Quizzes - UK Landmarks by County
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2019, 12:25:03 am »
Wow, that is hard. I got as far as 17 on North Yorkshire, and only to 13 on Durham (it includes a lot from what's now Tyne and Wear).

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2019, 01:25:32 am »
20/20 in Middlesex but there again they're all in London and I am a black cab driver
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2019, 06:39:19 am »
York was tacked onto the East Riding quiz, which came as a bit of a shock.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2019, 07:13:08 am »
I got 18/20 for Kent. Of the two I didn’t get, one I just don’t know (though I’ve heard of it), the other I didn’t recognise from the picture angle. Quite pleased with that.

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2019, 07:22:07 am »
20/20 in Middlesex but there again they're all in London and I am a black cab driver

The Kent one has a couple that are really London too, but you won’t get those because they’re south of the river.

I got 19/20 on Middlesex/London, and the one I didn’t get I really should have.
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2019, 08:22:02 am »
19/20 for Middlesex - never lived within 100 miles
13/20 for Cheshire - lived there 20+ years (on the far eastern fringe, admittedly)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2019, 08:40:51 am »
I got 18/20 for Kent. Of the two I didn’t get, one I just don’t know (though I’ve heard of it), the other I didn’t recognise from the picture angle. Quite pleased with that.

(click to show/hide)

Also 18/20. I got the building photographed from an odd angle but didn't get that castle in the middle of a town nor, like you, the tower. 

Going to have a look at Lancashire later
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Redlight

« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2019, 08:51:32 am »

Ditto. But I've seen most of them on foot :-)

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2019, 09:17:29 am »
didn't get that castle in the middle of a town

Have to admit that one took me longer to get than it should have, considering it is just a couple of miles down the road from me.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2019, 09:20:11 am »
None out of [Chesterfield] "Twisted spire" / "Crooked spire" worked for that spire in Chesterfield on the Derbyshire quiz :(

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:09:30 am »
Hmmm, there evidently aren't any landmarks in Powys...
Wombat

« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:17:38 am »

Quiz-maker started in the south of England at the end of last year and recently released quizzes for the Midlands and North. The most recent one is for Monmouthshire, so perhaps the other historic counties of Wales will follow soon...

Wombat

« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:21:12 am »
Just did the Hampshire one, 'cos I used to live there, and several of the places weren't in Hampshire, being in either Isle of Wight, or Dorset, and one of them said I had given the wrong answer, yet told me the answer was what I had just entered...  Not impressed.  Got 14 out of 20.  The only one I actually failed to get was Silchester.
Wombat

Wombat

« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:22:51 am »

Quiz-maker started in the south of England at the end of last year and recently released quizzes for the Midlands and North. The most recent one is for Monmouthshire, so perhaps the other historic counties of Wales will follow soon...

I probably wouldn't do very well at Powys ones (only lived there a year), but I'd give it a go.  Trouble is, its a huge county, with hardly anybody in it.  Do sheep count as landmarks?
Wombat

« Reply #15 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:51:04 am »
Just did the Hampshire one, 'cos I used to live there, and several of the places weren't in Hampshire, being in either Isle of Wight, or Dorset, and one of them said I had given the wrong answer, yet told me the answer was what I had just entered...  Not impressed.  Got 14 out of 20.  The only one I actually failed to get was Silchester.

The one for Lancashire is the historic county, it does venture into Furness, but that's now in Cumbria. There's bound to be some fudging going on, given the number of reorganisations there've been.

« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:44:44 am »
Hampshire, being in either Isle of Wight, or Dorset, and one of them said I had given the wrong answer, yet told me the answer was what I had just entered

IoW is part of the historic county of Hampshire In the case of other alleged inaccuracies, you can let the quiz maker know in the Comments section below the quiz. If the Cheshire quiz is anything to go by , they are ready to edit the quiz accordingly.

Redlight

« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2019, 02:12:59 pm »
The one for Lancashire is the historic county, it does venture into Furness, but that's now in Cumbria. There's bound to be some fudging going on, given the number of reorganisations there've been.

I tried it and failed dismally, although in a couple of cases I simply mis-spelled or slightly mangled names.  Surprised that they didn't include the church in Orksmkirk, with its tower AND steeple.

Ben T

« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2019, 02:26:42 pm »
I got about 6 out of 20 for notts, but 2 of those I didn't know but I got because they had signs outside saying what they are.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 17 April, 2019, 02:47:41 pm »
14/20 for Essex. There were just two I didn't recognise. The Colchester Roman fortification I recognised, but didn't know the name of. I was genuinely surprised by the bit of Sea Wall. And the old fort in the Thames estuary - how many people know the name of that?

To be fair, if someone had asked me to list "blind" 20 places in Essex that were likely to be on that list, I reckon I could have predicted about 12 of them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #20 on: 17 April, 2019, 02:57:57 pm »
Not great for Bucks, 13/20, but I feel not giving "Stoke Mandeville" when the accepted answer was Stoke Mandeville Stadium" was a bit harsh!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21 on: 17 April, 2019, 02:59:53 pm »
10/20 for Lancs. Feld cheated, because I got the right place twice without it matching. One word missing was "beach". The other was "Royal".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #22 on: 17 April, 2019, 03:02:38 pm »
10/20 for Lancs. Feld cheated, because I got the right place twice without it matching. One word missing was "beach". The other was "Royal".

As in "Royal Lytham St. Annes"?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 17 April, 2019, 03:23:54 pm »
And the old fort in the Thames estuary - how many people know the name of that?

I couldn't remember it while I was doing the quiz but I've definitely heard it before - it's quite a distinctive name.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #24 on: 17 April, 2019, 05:37:47 pm »

(click to show/hide)
16 because
(click to show/hide)
There's no vibrations, but wait.