Author Topic: Quizzes - UK Landmarks by County  (Read 3863 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Quizzes - UK Landmarks by County
« Reply #25 on: 17 April, 2019, 06:01:17 pm »
Hmmm, there evidently aren't any landmarks in Powys...

Or Scotland.

« Reply #26 on: 17 April, 2019, 07:14:39 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:29:08 pm »
20/20 in Middlesex but there again they're all in London and I am a black cab driver

The Kent one has a couple that are really London too, but you won’t get those because they’re south of the river.

I got 19/20 on Middlesex/London, and the one I didn’t get I really should have.
(click to show/hide)
[/quote]

I got 20 in Middlesex. I knew the Guildhall, partly because my piano teaching diploma is from its School of Music & Drama. Curiously, the one I struggled with the most was the stadium noted for its oblate spheroids.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #28 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:38:58 pm »

Or Scotland.

Here's one for you. I got 19/33
https://www.sporcle.com/games/lkgo30921/find-the-historic-scottish-counties

Thanks. 22/33. I managed some of the very small ones, which pleased me as they turned up early and I had not much to go on. There were a few extremely near misses - I was just the wrong side of the border for Sutherland/Caithness (got the second one, obviously) and being a political geek helped a lot, eg knowing that David Steel's constituency was Roxborough, Selkirk & Peebles, and that there used to be a constituency called Kinross and West Perthshire. Having said that, I failed on two out of three Lothians! Jan and I cycled through Roxborough, Selkirk & Peebles quite a long time ago on a hired tandem and I was utterly gobsmacked at how tiny the villages were that gave their names to parliamentary constituencies.

« Reply #29 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:47:54 pm »
There's an English ceremonial counties one on there, with no outlines and sudden death. Which is sort of manageable until they throw the City of London at you, which is so small that it's difficult to target, and I've lived in Middlesex, Essex and Kent.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 18 April, 2019, 12:02:15 am »
I've done that a few times. As you say, a lot depends on the order that the counties randomly come at you. I reckon I'm OK to find 80% or more of the English counties on a blank map, and of course the coastal ones are easy.

Edit: just completed it at about the 6th attempt. Greater London is a complete git, and the jigsaw of Warks/Staffs/Worcs/W. Midlands is a bit tricky.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #31 on: 18 April, 2019, 07:40:04 am »
16 because
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #32 on: 18 April, 2019, 08:46:09 am »
16 because
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
:thumbsup:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #33 on: 19 April, 2019, 12:13:30 pm »
I just got 19/20 in Northumberland because I call this:
Clicky

Howick Beach

and not 'Rumbling Kern'.

FFS. It's the Beach, at Howick.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #34 on: 19 April, 2019, 12:44:18 pm »
Hampshire, being in either Isle of Wight, or Dorset, and one of them said I had given the wrong answer, yet told me the answer was what I had just entered

IoW is part of the historic county of Hampshire In the case of other alleged inaccuracies, you can let the quiz maker know in the Comments section below the quiz. If the Cheshire quiz is anything to go by , they are ready to edit the quiz accordingly.

I'm well aware of what it used to be quite a few years ago, having lived in Hampshire for 65 years, thanks!  Folk from IOW are likely to be seriously offended by suggestions they are in Hampshire, but at least the separatism means we can keep making the insults about them...
Wombat

« Reply #35 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:27:28 am »
That revealed as much about my spelling as my knowledge of the local landmarks. Neither is great :’)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #36 on: 22 April, 2019, 10:45:34 am »

Or Scotland.

Nor yet Norn Iron, and you haven't lived until you've seen Ballymaccaret. You mightn't live afterwards either if you're wearing the wrong scarf.

Mind you, I'd be crap at most Norn Iron landmarks, I haven't been there for years and most of them have probably been converted into strongpoints or burger joints.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight