Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 373676 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #625 on: 31 March, 2013, 01:55:37 pm »
After a bit of post-processing, it may have been "shalom" and they may not have been oiks :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #626 on: 31 March, 2013, 11:02:53 pm »
This weekend I had 2 firsts:
- "you should ride single file" from a policeman
- abuse from some folks in a crapmobile towing another crapmobile (we delayed them for AT MOST 30 seconds - and then turned the other way to them at a T-junction)

I'm not sure who was the oik, or which was the lower moment. but I can't say either encounter will affect how I ride in future :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #627 on: 01 April, 2013, 05:36:55 pm »
In other news, and actually in this same universe, I was on a 200k perm on Saturday and locked the bike outside a shop. While in the queue to pay for the pint of milk I'd just drunk, a little old lady walked into the shop and and said to me (as the obvious cyclist with helmet and high-viz): "Is that your bike outside? You know you left the lights flashing well if the battery goes flat you might not be able to start it. I don't know much about bikes."

Bless.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #628 on: 01 April, 2013, 05:53:32 pm »
Riding into Glasgow along the canal on Saturday afternoon with my son, some guy taking a lot of cider cans for a walk

"ahhh, your doin' great. Bran' new"

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #629 on: 01 April, 2013, 07:37:50 pm »
In other news, and actually in this same universe, I was on a 200k perm on Saturday and locked the bike outside a shop. While in the queue to pay for the pint of milk I'd just drunk, a little old lady walked into the shop and and said to me (as the obvious cyclist with helmet and high-viz): "Is that your bike outside? You know you left the lights flashing well if the battery goes flat you might not be able to start it. I don't know much about bikes."

Bless.
;D
Riding into Glasgow along the canal on Saturday afternoon with my son, some guy taking a lot of cider cans for a walk

"ahhh, your doin' great. Bran' new"

;D Barry!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #630 on: 02 April, 2013, 09:28:59 pm »
While cycling home, in London rush hour, I decided to move up the traffic on the inside. The traffic was at a standstill, and I was moving with caution. Checking all cars, it seemed safe until a driver decided to change their mind and enter the BP garage. I did we'll to avoid, and words were exchanged, but what made this interesting was the driver's claim that, "I don't have to indicate."
Have the rules changed since I did my driving test?

« Reply #631 on: 03 April, 2013, 02:03:59 pm »
'I can't hear you!' from the driver of a car waiting at a T junction as I went past.

Gnomic.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #632 on: 08 April, 2013, 12:08:20 pm »
Not an oik as such, but a chap of mature years.  And not 'at' cyclists, so much as 'to' them.

This morning, at Stockwell, a chap crossed the road, stopping to shout something I didn't quite catch all of, but it certainly included the (slightly hyperbolic) suggestion that Cameron was worse than Hitler*, and calling the Cabinet 'callous murderous fucking liars' or some such, which, while not entirely accurate, wasn't so far off th emark.

* Oops, have I Godwinised the thread?  Blame the ranter...
Getting there...

« Reply #633 on: 08 April, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »
Not an oik as such, but a chap of mature years.  And not 'at' cyclists, so much as 'to' them.

This morning, at Stockwell, a chap crossed the road, stopping to shout something I didn't quite catch all of, but it certainly included the (slightly hyperbolic) suggestion that Cameron was worse than Hitler*, and calling the Cabinet 'callous murderous fucking liars' or some such, which, while not entirely accurate, wasn't so far off th emark.

* Oops, have I Godwinised the thread?  Blame the ranter...

The last time I saw anything like that, I realised that I was facing a mirror... but I've been in Wales all day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #634 on: 08 April, 2013, 03:53:09 pm »
;D
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #635 on: 08 April, 2013, 05:54:43 pm »
I suppose it's topical to say that anyone over the age of 26 who finds himself shouting abuse at people from the back seat of a small hatchback can count himself a failure?

Anyway, this one was a surprisingly audible "Get a proper bike!" at point blank range.  This required a response, but unfortunately the first thing that came to mind was a marginally appropriate "Smash the kyriarchy!".  In light of their resulting confused expression, I followed up with some crude but inaccurate sign interpretation as they sped off into the queue for the upcoming roundabout.

LindaG

« Reply #636 on: 08 April, 2013, 06:00:34 pm »
Kim I have no idea what that means but I wish I had said it first.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #637 on: 08 April, 2013, 06:15:08 pm »
Kyriarchy is basically like patriarchy but accounting for multiple types of oppression e.g sexism, racism, homophobia, disablism, classism etc

I only came across it very recently but like the idea of recognising the multiple axes on which people can be oppressed at the same time and that many of us have both privileges and oppressions.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #638 on: 08 April, 2013, 06:45:25 pm »
Kim I have no idea what that means but I wish I had said it first.

Neither did the oik.  I think he was trying to work out whether I'd insulted him.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #639 on: 09 April, 2013, 06:53:46 pm »
Kyriarchy is basically like patriarchy but accounting for multiple types of oppression e.g sexism, racism, homophobia, disablism, classism etc

I only came across it very recently but like the idea of recognising the multiple axes on which people can be oppressed at the same time and that many of us have both privileges and oppressions.

I'm not sure quite what's so oppressive about Andy Gates...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #640 on: 13 April, 2013, 08:43:55 pm »
Basil and I got a "Hi you cunts!" from a passing hatchback as we struggled with the moist headwind on the way back from Tamworth earlier.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #641 on: 13 April, 2013, 08:44:37 pm »
Friends of yours?
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #642 on: 13 April, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »
Oh yes.  I'd forgotten about that.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #643 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:02:23 am »
Got the good old beep, beep, beep, BEEP from the car that pulled up behind me at the lights yesterday. I had the temerity to be in primary and to be doing nothing other than waiting for the lights to change. No one was going anywhere. Goes without saying that a bullet-headed buffoon then stuck his head out of the window to utter a stream of abuse (I'm still puzzling over 'gay cunt'). I just ignored it, life is too short, and I'd be better off trying to communicate with an amoeba. He probably missed by back wheel by millimetres taking the left turn behind me while I went straight on.

OK, it was Nottingham, which is a shit hole, but that kind of thing gnaws when you think about it. I don't get random abuse shouted at me for walking for the pavement, nor would I expect to. I can half understand it when tempers get raised after an interaction, but really, for just being there, patiently occupying a piece of uncontested road space?

Driving in general up there makes London seem positively friendly, you forget how used drivers are to cyclists in the capital. It was nice to get back and scoot (headwind willing) through the big smoke. Bonus homecoming points for the large lady taking a very public piss outside Peckham library and yelling "I don't fucking care" (which she evidently didn't).

« Reply #644 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:05:43 am »
In contrast, we got a clearly very friendly "toot toot" and wave from a patient girl inna hatchback who had waited for us to gain the rise and the road to be clear ahead, before passing us wide and slow (like a horse, maybe she had misconstrued my arse as something more equine).

Everybody loves a tandem.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #645 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:30:09 am »
Sounds like tandems and recumbents have a similar effect on motorists ("hey, that's sick!" rather than "get outta my way NOW!").
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #646 on: 15 April, 2013, 12:52:27 pm »
OK, it was Nottingham, which is a shit hole, but that kind of thing gnaws when you think about it. I don't get random abuse shouted at me for walking for the pavement, nor would I expect to. I can half understand it when tempers get raised after an interaction, but really, for just being there, patiently occupying a piece of uncontested road space?

For reference, this is what's known as 'privilege'.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #647 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:00:39 pm »
Sounds like tandems and recumbents have a similar effect on motorists ("hey, that's sick!" rather than "get outta my way NOW!").

Indeed.  Also, heavy-looking trailers, at least in utility mode rather than touring mode, seem to provoke an unexpected amount of empathy from WVM.

« Reply #648 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:22:45 pm »
In contrast, we got a clearly very friendly "toot toot" and wave from a patient girl inna hatchback who had waited for us to gain the rise and the road to be clear ahead, before passing us wide and slow (like a horse, maybe she had misconstrued my arse as something more equine).

Everybody loves a tandem.

I really wish I had taken a photo of the pink tandem on Sat.  It would have done wonders for the club publicity dept.

Glad you all enjoyed the day.  See you in Sept ?

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #649 on: 23 April, 2013, 10:16:26 am »
I had a good one of these on Friday last week.  I took a long route home to get some exercise and was riding quite a busy rat run  from Cardiff heading north to the Valleys.  Some joker in a bright blue chavmobile drove past whilst either him or one of his esteemed passengers gave it a reasonably high pitched (but still blokey).  "AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH" which never stopped as they passed with the front window wound down.

Of course it was a usual pointless rush hour overtake as we hit some traffic lights soon after whereupon I passed them again and got an identical scream.

When the lights changed they passed me one more time, hit a big queue and I passed them again (and for the last time).  Same thing each time  :facepalm:

I dignified it with not even acknowledging their presence on any of the occasions.  I do hope they enjoyed themselves  ::-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.