Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 373008 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1100 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:03:16 am »
I’ve recently had a dreadful experience of cycling in South Yorkshire, so different from my experience anywhere else in the UK that I shall certainly avoid ever cycling there in the future.

Having arrived by train into Doncaster at 2030 on a Thursday night I cycled (using quiet roads an much as possible), 14 miles to a pals house in Thurdcroft, about 6 miles East of Rotherham. The abuse I received from yobs in cars for simply being on the counties roads was relentless. I wasn’t keeping count but during that 1 hour ride I must have been sworn at from car windows several times. None of these cars ever got stuck behind me and I wasn’t riding primary and taking up half the lane, I has just having what I thought was going to be a pleasant evening ride. It wasn’t just cars either, on entering Thurcroft two children on the pavement decided that for being on a bike I should be called a ‘fag’.

My plan for the following morning was to carry on to Gainsborough and visit family there, taking a scenic route of just over 40 miles. I expected that my experience would be different in daylight but no. On this ride I had abuse hurled at me from 4 cars. The last one was in Retford, after passing through that town I seemed to re-enter the civilised world. In fact by the time I reached Gainsborough I was receiving the sort of reaction to the bent which I’m much more accustomed too, one teenager remarking ‘wow, that’s awesome’,  and a couple of builders turning round to say ‘look at that; how brilliant is that’.

Although I probably stood out on the bent I very much suspect that the people of South Yorkshire would have thrown abuse at me whatever bike I was riding.  I’ll certainly think twice before ever riding there again and if I had the money I might consider ask Donald Trump to build a wall round it.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1101 on: 14 September, 2016, 12:24:53 pm »
Episode 26: Lost in Sittingbourne.[/i]
Speaking as a native of that place (but now residing about 10 miles away), even I'm not sure where the NCN goes now. I believe it avoids the travellers site in Murston, so you no longer have to carry your bike for a couple of hundred yards to avoid the broken glass and stuff.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1102 on: 14 September, 2016, 06:24:05 pm »
I’ve recently had a dreadful experience of cycling in South Yorkshire, so different from my experience anywhere else in the UK that I shall certainly avoid ever cycling there in the future.

Sorry to hear of your experience! Rest assured, Yorkshire is a BIG place and you had the misfortune to land in what is probably the worst part of it! Personally, I steer clear of the part you mentioned - outside the Doncaster/Rotherham corridor and few of the ex colliery towns I have had very little trouble with abuse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1103 on: 14 September, 2016, 06:39:44 pm »
"Alles klingen!" - kid onna BMX frantically ringing his bell at our group of under-equipped BRITISH cyclists as we passed on some Radweg or other.

You know you're in ABROAD when kids over the age of 8 have bells on their BMXes.

« Reply #1104 on: 14 September, 2016, 11:54:15 pm »
Alice Klingon - Florence (of The Machine) re-invents herself?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1105 on: 15 September, 2016, 10:46:01 pm »
"Alles klingen!" - kid onna BMX frantically ringing his bell at our group of under-equipped BRITISH cyclists as we passed on some Radweg or other.

You know you're in ABROAD when kids over the age of 8 have bells on their BMXes.

My chum Mr G Thomas of Canuckistan and California still has the horn installed inside the DF velomobile he's running in Battle Mountain this year, and thus was able to offer a cheery "parp" to the timers as he went past at 55+ mph :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1106 on: 01 October, 2016, 05:38:18 pm »
I have a horn in Penelope and a bell in Millie the Milan. The bell is much more effective as people on cycle paths tend to think a horn is for a scooter on the road so they can ignore it.

Riding a variety of recumbents means I get lots of comments from passers-by but generally positive ones. "Geiles Fahrrad!" is the most common (cool bike).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1107 on: 01 October, 2016, 05:45:25 pm »
If I had an electric car, I'd totally install a Mk 1 bicycle bell behind the not-a-radiator.  This would probably involve lots of arsing about to run a cable of some sort, but would be worth it for teh EPIC LOLZ when sneaking up on YACFers in stealth mode.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1108 on: 01 October, 2016, 06:09:57 pm »
The Tiger bell on my wheelchair has disintegrated. I so need a replacement!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1109 on: 01 October, 2016, 06:20:37 pm »
The Tiger bell on my wheelchair has disintegrated. I so need a replacement!

Really?  I never expected there to be many tigers in NW London.  Then again, considering the wildlife ian encounters in South London, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1110 on: 01 October, 2016, 06:35:45 pm »
There's a http://www.tigerstores.co.uk branch on Finchley Road NW3 and another in North Finchley.
You did know that my cousin Philip runs this show, didn't you?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1111 on: 02 October, 2016, 02:28:18 pm »
It's dragons that be in south London, not tigers.  Tigers come from Indiah, as any fule kno.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1112 on: 02 October, 2016, 03:01:11 pm »
It's dragons that be in south London, not tigers.  Tigers come from Indiah, as any fule kno.

Apart from USAnian tourists visiting Africa, who seem notorious for escaping this factoid.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1113 on: 02 October, 2016, 08:09:45 pm »
Lions and Tigers, oh my ;D

« Reply #1114 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:00:59 am »
Last week some oik decided that the cycle track (not shared use) along Argall Way was a good place to stand and have a smoke - causing me to leave the track and take to the road to avoid a collision with him.
He became aware of this just as I dropped off the kerb, and apologetically said 'Oh! Sorry, sorry mate'.
I didn't reply, didn't give him The Look - I was too busy looking over my shouder to see if anything was going to mow me down in the road.
The next thing I heard was a tirade of 'Gerrafforrrkawwonaarrra!!!'  ending in 'Khhaaannn!!'  ???

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1115 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:41:53 am »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1116 on: 07 October, 2016, 04:59:53 am »
A man of about 30-ish on a bike overtook me last night and shouted 'dickhead'! as he went past.  No idea what that was about as I was riding on an empty road and had made no manoeuvres for ages.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1117 on: 07 October, 2016, 08:14:51 am »
Absence of helmet possibly ?  (I have no idea if you were wearing one or not.)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1118 on: 07 October, 2016, 08:31:19 am »
I'd just interpret that as burgeoning self-awareness.

fuzzy

« Reply #1119 on: 07 October, 2016, 09:32:29 am »
A man of about 30-ish on a bike overtook me last night and shouted 'dickhead'! as he went past.  No idea what that was about as I was riding on an empty road and had made no manoeuvres for ages.

Just introducing himself?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1120 on: 07 October, 2016, 10:16:16 am »
Absence of helmet possibly ?  (I have no idea if you were wearing one or not.)

Nope, no helmet.  I wonder if he usually shouts things like that at women as old as his mum  ???
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1121 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:00:44 am »
Telling you he'd just moved up north from Billericay?

Eta: In case of offended Billericatians, I'm thinking of Billericay Dickie.
Note for Wowbagger: This is a reference to a song by Ian Dury, Essex's third most famous Popular Beat Combo after Bobb and William Byrd.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1122 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:06:53 am »
On the way home from the pub last night, where I'd had only one pint, there was a couple on foot in front of me who'd clearly both had far more. Quiet residential street, bloke is standing in the road with his back to me flipping something in the air and catching it. Well, flipping it in the air anyway. There was plenty of room to go round him, no problem. Woman was a little way in front of him, looking at him and staggering around, she saw me approaching and yelled at him, "There's a cyclist! There's a cyclist! Stand still! Get out of the way! Don't move! There's a cyclist!" She must have drunk a few pints of exclamation marks and was vomiting them up. I rode round them and she said "Thank you!" whether for not riding into either of them or for providing some form of live entertainment on their way home I'm not sure.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1123 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:19:42 am »
I suppose that's better than "Pedestrian in road didn't know which way to run, so I rode into him"   ;D
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #1124 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:57:48 am »

....acknowledged but cut out for shortness....

A few years ago I rode a 400km Audax through Maybole in Ayrshire. I hada similar experience, on my bent, shouted at by ioyks in their cars. But then a year later I rode through again, same AUdax, but on my diamond frame bike and received no comments.

On my bent I usually receive positive comments from young uns like Wow, and Cool.... So maybe if you head back again you will receive a different perspective?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/