Author Topic: Broken steerer woez - where to buy new one?  (Read 5015 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Broken steerer woez - where to buy new one?
« on: 12 May, 2010, 09:07:23 pm »
The rutted, pothole-infested nightmares that pass for roads in West London haven't been particularly kind to the Red Baron.  I was trying to smarten up the lighting cable run this evening and found a rather good reason why I ought not to ride it for a little while:

If that had have gone on me chasing busses at 30mph, it would have spoiled my day something rotten  :-\

Given that I was planning on getting a folding steerer at some point anyway, could someone recommend a good source for such things?  Better still, if any of you chaps are in the know, what should I be buying, do you think?  I'm fairly sure that my Baron is a 1" ahead steerer, so I can always fit a really modern 1 1/8th jobbie.  Seeing as I'm going to have it all apart, I'll be recabling too, I reckon.

Any advice much appreciated.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Broken steerer woez - where to buy new one?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »
Cor.  Good thing you check things over regularly.
Getting there...

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:12:54 pm »
Any advice much appreciated.

Don't hang on so tight in future!  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »
Well spotted C. Bloody hell  :o

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:46:17 pm »
Yeow, that looks orrible - good you spotted it.  Curious how it could have been damaged that far though, and over how long?

Had you looked at it this closely before?  Wondering if the bolt was overtightened or the thing was yanked at some point in handling.  Just seems weird for the metal to rip that far in normal use.

On the other hand, it looks like you've already got a folding steerer if you push a bit harder.  ;D  I'll run away now...

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2010, 10:14:11 pm »
That could have taken your mind of things (anything) glad you are ok
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2010, 10:22:46 pm »
I think it was the pot'oles wot done it.  

How long it's been like that I can't say.  I think I would have noticed it previously, as I've been over that bike with a fine tooth comb since I bought it a little while ago.

So far Recumbent Parts' folding steerer looks like the best bet.  But do I get the folding one or the solid one?  The solid one looks less likely to break as it's got a massive gusset.

Massive gusset.  That could be a Spinal Tap song.

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2010, 10:39:18 pm »
Nothing wrong with that, it could last for months weeks days.

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2010, 11:02:24 am »
...do I get the folding one or the solid one?  The solid one looks less likely to break as it's got a massive gusset.

Are weights quoted? Folders (even my expensive Terracycle one) tend to be decidedly lumpish.
Profit or planet?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2010, 11:14:00 am »
Nothing wrong with that, it could last for months weeks days.

I had a similar thing develop un-noticed on my Speedmachine.  I did notice it eventually, when the handlebars and tiller came orf in me 'and while in the middle lane of the A10 in Tottenham.

Fortunately the lorry driver had good reflexes.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »
I'm thinking the folder will probably get less force through it.  Just because it can move freely up then down, rather than being forced to follow the bike all the time.  Won't help if it gets leaned on downwards, but even then you might find it mauls the adjustment screw rather than anything else.

The one on my B2 looks like one inch ahead type.  Seems to have worked fine, though I've not compared it with anything else.  So if you want an alternative you could phone ICE and try to persuade them to sell you one.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »
Looks to me like a 'lifting/moving the bike by the bars' crack - I would expect a pothole crack to form in the opposite direction.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »
I had a similar thing develop un-noticed on my Speedmachine.  I did notice it eventually, when the handlebars and tiller came orf in me 'and while in the middle lane of the A10 in Tottenham.

I imagine that did bring it to your attention...
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »
Oh noes, commiserations!  The pain of uncabling is one reason I stopped putting cables through the stem, and use cable spiral wrap instead now.

Looks to me like a 'lifting/moving the bike by the bars' crack - I would expect a pothole crack to form in the opposite direction.

+1.  Still not an acceptable failure.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »

I imagine that did bring it to your attention...

I now know what my last words would be in this situation, they sort of come instinctively
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2010, 06:40:57 pm »
Bloody hell, was it second-hand?  Toxy sell (very expensive) tiller steerers; the chap from Bikefix advised me to contact Mike Burrowes direct as he can knock them up for people.

« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:01:43 am »
The new Challenge steerers are pretty nice things, too.
Hollow to thread all your cables through, easy adjustable and somewhat lighter.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2010, 10:12:56 am »
The new Challenge steerers are pretty nice things, too.
Hollow to thread all your cables through, easy adjustable and somewhat lighter.

OTOH HP Velotechnik stopped doing hollow steerers on the Speedmachine after a Several of them, including mine, broke where the cables exit at the bottom.

« Reply #18 on: 18 May, 2010, 04:16:23 pm »
OTOH HP Velotechnik stopped doing hollow steerers on the Speedmachine after a Several of them, including mine, broke where the cables exit at the bottom.
the constuctions seems to look quite sound:
http://www.challenge-ligfietsen.nl/publichtml/picturepopup.php?directory=images%2Ffotos%2Fnews%2Fnews-pivottiller%2F&picture=DSC_5144.JPG&version=public&language=en&check=2a6e0910f9c087931ffeed40007989421ba7e581

At the bottom it is very much like the split tube construction for the back wheel. But then, if in doubt, better err on the safe side. I have not done enough miles to judge the safety of my ride.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #19 on: 19 May, 2010, 10:15:13 am »
the constuctions seems to look quite sound:
http://www.challenge-ligfietsen.nl/publichtml/picturepopup.php?directory=images%2Ffotos%2Fnews%2Fnews-pivottiller%2F&picture=DSC_5144.JPG&version=public&language=en&check=2a6e0910f9c087931ffeed40007989421ba7e581

At the bottom it is very much like the split tube construction for the back wheel. But then, if in doubt, better err on the safe side. I have not done enough miles to judge the safety of my ride.

Looks a better design than the old HP V one, which didn't increase in diameter at the bottom like the Challenge one does.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2010, 10:33:56 am »
'Tis done.  The Red Baron rides again.

Mwahahahahahaha!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:06:16 pm »
Hurrah! :thumbsup: