Author Topic: Blinded by the light  (Read 4112 times)

Re: Blinded by the light
« Reply #25 on: 08 October, 2011, 08:47:45 pm »
A similar age to you, AFAIK.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 08 October, 2011, 08:49:50 pm »
Well into the glare zone, then  :(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

markg0vbr

« Reply #27 on: 08 October, 2011, 10:39:38 pm »

i mostly ride 30miles of dark lanes after work and always had problems with most car not dipping there head lights >:(, i resorted to a powerful head torch with a button on my handle bars, look at where the wind screen should be with one eye closed and give them a flash :demon:, this seemed to work. i then changed lights to my new set-up, i think the drivers think it is a little car coming toward them and 99% now dip there lights :thumbsup:.

markg0vbr

« Reply #28 on: 08 October, 2011, 10:42:16 pm »
i also wear the yellow lensed cycling glasses now which are fantastic at helping with over bright modern car lights.

« Reply #29 on: 09 October, 2011, 08:44:37 am »
How old are you?  People become massively more sensitive to glare between the ages of 20 and 50.    I have an inherited corneal problem which turns glare into flare but I cope OK on a bike at night.  On a car where I need to look further ahead, not so well.

I'm >50 and had massive problems with glare. This diminished when I had my cataract operation.  +1 to the skipped hat.

« Reply #30 on: 01 November, 2011, 10:38:30 pm »
I'm persevering and possibly adapting a little.  Things I've learned:

Urban areas are the worst for dazzle, around here anyway, we have such crap roads  that the cars bounce up and down and dazzle me on my trike even when dipped. Throwing myself forward to get some height and looking down  seems the best strategy when I'm under siege.

Some bike lights are over powered too and most don't dip - it's rather charming to be blinded by another cyclist.

Blinking and peaked hats are helpful but nothing is a panacea, I use all methods for now.

My USE Toro is fantastic for seeing on unlit country roads.  I can get motorists to dip easily when on full and I return the compliment. They seem to appreciate it  if I turn down the wick too - those pesky cyclist with their silly overpowered lights etc.

The rain and mist make the dazzle go away....

Clear lens glasses seem to help a fraction.

Swearing at the worst culprits is cathartic.

I'm thinking of getting some scotchbrite reflective stitched to my first and middle fingers of my right hand gloves....

Using my hand to shield my right eye is quite effective when I'm capless.

I rode home yesterday and it was proper dark all the way, hard rain when I set off, slaloming down a a car-less Miller's Dale guided by the Cat's Eyes was blissful.  I think I get night riding now.