Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512504 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Note of usefulness for anyone with even slight lactose intolerance, whey powder is about 50% lactose so utterly DETH. Milk is about 5% lactose. Hard cheese and butter are usually under 0.5% depending on the brand etc.  I can eat butter/cheese but not milk.

Clare

• Is in NZ
Yebbut whey makes dhal taste even nommier.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I doubt many people know what whey is.
Didn't they ever get to the second line of Little Miss Muffet? Next you'll be telling me they've never eaten blackbird pie!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I doubt many people know what whey is.
Didn't they ever get to the second line of Little Miss Muffet? Next you'll be telling me they've never eaten blackbird pie!

....or sung Christmas carols about that manger.

Cudzoziemiec

All the taxis are busy, Ham, so you'll have to take this donkey.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
This being the food thread, mention of donkeys brings Corsican salami to mind.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I have a  Magimix 3500 Grand Famille that I have owned, by my approximate reckoning, for just shy of 40 years. It is still fully functional but the bowl and the bowl lid are on their way out at the same time (up t o now they have gone one at at time).  I have decided to replace it with a new one, and it will shortly be available if anyone could make use of it. Spares are still available  and the bowl and lid would cost about £70, or the existing one could stumble on for a while, too. I have a fairly good range of slicing and grating discs. I'm in East London for collection, weighs about 10kg +, wouldn't cost a fortune to ship (<£10?)

No idea at the moment when the replacement will arrive. Definitely no idea what its future prospects for survival are like.

This being the food thread, mention of donkeys brings Corsican salami to mind.

Quite...

Quote from: Asterix in Corsica

Boneywasawarriorwayayix: "This sausage brings back memories of my native land! So fresh, you can almost hear it braying."

Source: http://viewcomic.com/20-asterix-in-corsica/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
That's the one.

Less well-known is that much of the ewe's milk that goes into Roquefort comes from Corsica.  See also Asterix in Corsica, under cheese.

(to the tune of Alouette)

A Filetta, mauvais A Filetta,
A Filetta, tres malodorant...

http://cheesenotes.com/post/7928111260/corsican-a-filetta
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Phyllis requested some mayonnaise on her ham sandwich at lunchtime.

There's very little in the way of food that positively repulses me, but I had an involuntary shudder of utter disgust when I opened that jar of Hellman's.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

Salad cream. Anything else is just another dubious white fluid that you might want to think twice about swallowing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Hellmann's has the same energy density as butter and can be an effective way of getting calories into the very old, who seldom have sufficient appetite to meet their nutritional needs.

I like mayonnaise but dislike salad cream FWIW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's in their wisdom decided to substitute 3 four pint bottles for the unavailable two pint bottles I had ordered.
I've had a refund voucher for the price difference.
BUT
I struggled to rearrange my freezer to accommodate the excess.
I had to cancel today's Milk and More delivery; Monday milk is verging on the stale and goes off quickly.
Bottles are really too heavy for me to handle well.

I accept few substitutes in general and had never had milk substituted.

Will have to rethink my reserve milk strategy.

Every substitute is always a fucking FAIL even if it saves money!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Speaking of milk substitutions, it appears that Dr Biggles drank a quantity of barakta's Lactofree this morning because it was in a more prominent position in the fridge than his usual UHT.  That might have ended badly...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Speaking of milk substitutions, it appears that Dr Biggles drank a quantity of barakta's Lactofree this morning because it was in a more prominent position in the fridge than his usual UHT.  That might have ended badly...

I can't imagine barakta would happily handle a four pint bottle. Good thing Lactofree is not packaged in such monstrosities!

My Ancient Parents now only have Lacto-Free in the house as Mum doesn't use enough plain cow juice to justify a separate purchase.

One of my sisters is now lactose intolerant. Not sure if she has both sorts of white stuff.

Cudzoziemiec

For Dr Biggles, Barakta or both? Do you need doctors, lawyers or both?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I haven't actually tried to handle larger than 1litre (assuming approx 1kg) milk containers recently but I probably would struggle somewhat with 4 pint containers these days. Even the 1 litre can be difficult/painful.

It may be my fault for moving the regular milk to somewhere less obvious in fridge, it's not like I don't know Dr. Biggles's aspieish tendencies to look in one place and one place only for things. Mum hadn't noticed either cos she's not very observant.

To be fair, the solution would have been for one of them to get in the car to drive all of 1/4 a mile down the nasty hill in the rain to the co op for more lactofree so it's not exactly the end of the world. Although it is the only drink in the house I can drink. Shloer has wrecked their recipe with Stevia and it tastes horrid... Hope Dr. Biggles finishes the bottle or it'll get left undrank *blech*.

ian

I confess that I've been using olive oil spread for general spreadage for a while. During the Christmas shops I picked up a big block of butter.

What have I been doing to myself? Butter is awesome! Slathered on hot toast with a boiled egg for brekkie. Heavenly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Managed the four-pint container OK this morning; it won't have much more than 2 pints in it by tomorrow so that should be relatively easy.

Four pints of water weighs five pounds, which is a lot for me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Missus bought some vegan frankfurters the other day.  If you put mustard on them they have a wonderful flavour of mustard.

TBH they should really be in the Truly Terrible Jokes thread.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Reminds me of my brother's school dinner lady, when the kids complained.

'Put salt on it. Then it will taste of salt...'

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
cf the food rants thread and ian's comment about Nando's chicken being merely a vehicle for the sauce.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Years ago on R4 a spokesman for the British Nacht-und-Nebel Board (Chicken Division) said "what the British housewife wants is a bland meat that can be given a variety of flavours blah blah blah...". We chortled.