Author Topic: Vet presciptions  (Read 4232 times)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
Vet presciptions
« on: 05 August, 2008, 09:40:10 am »
Our dear old Dalmation has devolped Arthritis ( not uncommon in this breed ) and needs a constant supply of Metacam to help ease his pain.

100 ML from our vet is over £45.00, but I can get it on line for £19.90.  The rub is that the on line supplier, quite correctly, needs a prescription from the vet.  I understand that the vet is legally obliged to supply this.

Our vet wants a £6.00 "administration fee" to provide a signature on the prescription form.

Is this ..

Legal ?
Moral?

Or just plain profiteering ??

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Vet presciptions
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2008, 10:20:43 am »
Not sure, but you could always try phoning up some other surgeries to ask whether they charge for the same thing.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2008, 10:47:47 am »
If he's insured, the costs of prescribed medication should be covered.
Abnormal for Norfolk

« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2008, 11:09:45 am »
As I understand it the vet is legally obliged to provide this and not allowed to charge as such, BUT they are allowed to pass on the admin 'costs' of the prescription, which you could argue to be £6.

The Competition Commission introduced these rules as a three-year trial in 2005. It may all change come this October - ie, they may be allowed to charge again. I'm not sure if a decision has been made about this yet, not quite up to speed although I should be!

The aim of this, I think, was to get vets to charge properly for their professional time (ie, consultation prices go up) and rely less on profit from medicines, by making the medicines a free market.

My dog is also on Metacam for osteoarthritis and gets through about four of those 100ml bottles a year. I have such a good relationship with my vet, however, (sometimes consultations that should be £50 slip through uncharged, because he has looked after my animals since I was little and will quite often waive fees as a goodwill gesture) that I would rather any profit from the meds went to him, so continue getting the Metacam from him.

If he was one of the corporates that are springing up (large companies taking over) then I probably wouldn't feel this way and would say sod it and get the prescription...

Not sure something ongoing like like would be insured after the first year, depends how good your policy is though.

RogerT

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2008, 09:32:06 am »
Thanks for the replies..

Bit of an update.. Any one know of a good vet in the Ely area ? 

Had a bit of a falling out last night when I cycled to existing Vets to get a prescription form.  I will gloss over the giggling from the reception staff because I arrived wearing Lycra etc.  They proceeded to inform me that they needed 48 hours notice to produce a prescription form, ( not something that was mentioned before ). The vet who made the original diagnosis was standing in reception so I asked her if she could sign the form.  She stated that she was "far to busy "

I left  :demon: :demon:

Their loss, I have removed our 2 cats and 1 dog from their care permanently !! ( and they are all in their twilight years so need lots of care )

BUT..Fastest EVER time from Ely to Home..must fall out with vets again before I do next TT !!

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2008, 01:09:07 pm »

Which vet do you use??

RogerT

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2008, 03:28:19 pm »

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2008, 05:36:06 pm »
You think that's bad, my doc charges £80 for a sick note.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:15:52 pm »

Is that for a private one?  I thought that the way it worked was that after seven days a GP had to provide a sick note, but prior to that you can self certify, and if you want a sick note prior to the seven days, the GP can ask you to pay for a private one.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:27:16 pm »
Is this ..

Legal ?
Moral?

Or just plain profiteering ??

Who cares?  ;)
You pay the vet 6 quid.
You order online.
You save money...and most importantly....

Dodgy Dalmation wins!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:35:44 pm »
They are probably in the process of realising that £6 is not enough.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2008, 04:04:47 am »

Is that for a private one?  I thought that the way it worked was that after seven days a GP had to provide a sick note, but prior to that you can self certify, and if you want a sick note prior to the seven days, the GP can ask you to pay for a private one.

Nope a normal one
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2008, 05:39:14 am »
RogerT,
Thanks for this.  I am going to insure the Vizsla.  ;D

annie

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2008, 07:09:00 am »
They are allowed to charge you an admin fee for producing the script but you will still save pennies if you order on line.  Do be warned though that not all POMs ordered on line are pure (if that makes sense.)  I have fallen out with our surgery before but have continued to use them for all of my animals.  I frequently find I am not charged for a consultation, I never have a problem getting a script in super fast time, nor do I have a problem just dropping in and asking for someone to look at one of the dogs.

Insurance is a must but you may find it more expensive if you are only just taking out cover now.  I have used Pet Plan for many years and will continue to do so. 

I used to take Murphy up to Diss 3 times a week for hydrotherapy, due to the problems arising from his hip dysplasia, is this something you might be interested in for your friend?

Good luck and next time give your vet a lollipop and smile.

« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2023, 09:51:46 am »
Thread resurrection

Had to take a rabbit to vet.  10ml Metacam from vet £21; online (with prescription) £3,   

Next time, will ask for prescription - still prob be a fair bit cheaper even with admin£.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson