Author Topic: Rose bikes stops selling to the UK  (Read 31648 times)

Re: Rose bikes stops selling to the UK
« Reply #200 on: 21 January, 2021, 07:39:19 pm »
If I understand it correctly, goods in transit attract a deposit to cover import duties and VAT which are refunded once the goods leave the U.K.  Trouble is, the shipping agents who normally front up this money don’t have enough funds to cover the amount of through traffic that went before Brexit so they have been limiting this and looking for ways to avoid British roads.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #201 on: 22 January, 2021, 08:44:42 am »
So the answer is to buy a Daccordi frame , which is made in Italy,  with a Campag groupset?

Much of Campag isn’t made in Italy any more ( but some other countries of origin may still be in the EU). I haven’t any specific knowledge of Daccordi’s amount of in- house work, but with many other “ Italian” brands tubes come from outside the EU, many import part - made frames and then add dropouts etc, and then finish the frame. There are specific rules on bikes, based on % of EU components.

Davef

« Reply #202 on: 22 January, 2021, 08:46:38 am »
So the answer is to buy a Daccordi frame , which is made in Italy,  with a Campag groupset?

Much of Campag isn’t made in Italy any more ( but some other countries of origin may still be in the EU). I haven’t any specific knowledge of Daccordi’s amount of in- house work, but with many other “ Italian” brands tubes come from outside the EU, many import part - made frames and then add dropouts etc, and then finish the frame. There are specific rules on bikes, based on % of EU components.
I believe campag is all eu, with factories in Italy and Romania

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #203 on: 25 January, 2021, 03:04:37 pm »
Had an email exchange with Bikester.  Although they haven't updated their FAQ yet, they say they are paying the UK VAT and there should be no further charges on arrival.  There were apparently teething troubles (they say to bear this in mind if you read reviews) but it's working properly now.

Going to test by ordering a light which is £49 instead of £75 at the Bandits of Bridgwater.  Shipping cost £1.49 more.

Will report back, but it looks as if at least one German seller has got its shit together.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #204 on: 25 January, 2021, 03:11:53 pm »
Hoping it goes well. :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #205 on: 01 February, 2021, 01:31:26 pm »

I believe campag is all eu, with factories in Italy and Romania
Look on You Tube- Daccordi frames are literally built by hand in Italy. Not sure where the Coloumbus tubes now come from

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #206 on: 01 February, 2021, 03:56:26 pm »
No problems with Bikester in Germany.  B&M light delivered today by UPS, no extra charges, appears to have come via a warehouse in the east of England.  31% cheaper than SJSC including postage.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #207 on: 01 February, 2021, 07:19:56 pm »
No problems with Bikester in Germany.  B&M light delivered today by UPS, no extra charges, appears to have come via a warehouse in the east of England.  31% cheaper than SJSC including postage.
:thumbsup:
I see they're also advertising products over £135 as incl duties and taxes, so I think they must be importing on a business to business basis and supplying to you as an internal transaction.  This is maybe also why they're operating a .uk website.
I had a camping mat from Alpine Trek delivered on Saturday, they seem to be doing the same and also have a .uk website.  Arrived within the week, but the tracking didn't move for two days.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #208 on: 08 February, 2021, 03:58:47 pm »

Just had to order a new arm for my glasses from Optilabs. I think I may have been charged UK VAT. But it's low enough I don't care, I just need the replacement part asap.

Let's see how fast it can get from Croydon to Amsterdam... And how much they'll sting me for shipping...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #209 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:26:11 pm »

Just had to order a new arm for my glasses from Optilabs. I think I may have been charged UK VAT. But it's low enough I don't care, I just need the replacement part asap.

That's useful, it hadn't occurred to me they would do spare legs.  I have home made splinted specs legs.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #210 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:53:34 am »

It's Saturday, I still don't have the spare part for my glasses.

It was put in the post on Tuesday. I was charged £14 for the postage.

On Thursday at 2040 it was presented to customs. PostNL didn't recognise the tracking number on it's website. So I tried to contact them on twitter. I got the following response:

Hi there! I understand you want to know more about your parcel. I see your parcel has arrived in the Netherlands yesterday and is now at customs. You will be able to follow the parcel with the same tracking number once customs hands it over us. Customs clearance usually takes maximum 8-14 days. but it can take up to a month if customs wants to do an extensive investigation. I would therefore suggest you to wait for at least two weeks. If you still haven't received the parcel by then please contact us again so we can see if there's any update. Best regards,

8-14 days. EIGHT TO FOURTEEN DAYS!!! for something that used to take 48 hours to ship, give or take.

At 0344 today (Saturday) it was shown as having cleared customs. YAY!

At 0345 it's shown as incorrect address, return to sender. SHIT!

it then has a couple of more steps, before 0347 its as "Arrived at Delivery office"

I hope that means I'll get it today or Monday. But I don't know.

Argh.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #211 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:45:36 am »
Are arms for glasses very different from pair to pair? I'm guessing they must be or you could have got some in Amsterdam.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #212 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:53:37 am »
Are arms for glasses very different from pair to pair? I'm guessing they must be or you could have got some in Amsterdam.

Yes, these are cycling glasses, and are specifically moulded for the design:

https://www.optilabs.com/product/rascal/

J
--

« Reply #213 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:30:37 pm »

I have a drawer full of bits of pairs of glasses. The hinges are clearly designed by the same people who designed electronic gadget charger connectors pre Micro USB.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #214 on: 16 February, 2021, 09:16:08 pm »

Package was delivered this afternoon at about half 2.

Postnl had put a new address label over the top of the handwriten one from Optilabs. All the information important information was correct, so dunno why that was such an issue. More worrying tho is that the CN22 was filled in wrong. They listed the value as £165, for what was actually £20. I could have been stung with a huge vat and customs charge.

Have let Optilabs know.

Yay, glasses are repaired! I can see again.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #215 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:42:42 am »

Was using one of the big german bike part shops today. Had put about €80 of stuff in the basket, went to hit checkout. And it flashes up "There is a €175 minimum order". Wtf? I login, then try again. No issue at all. Turns out the site seemed to think I was in the Uk (I was looking at it in English, so a reasonable assumption), but once logged in and it saw the Dutch delivery address, it was fine.

What a bloody mess.

J
--

« Reply #216 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:55:06 am »

Was using one of the big german bike part shops today. Had put about €80 of stuff in the basket, went to hit checkout. And it flashes up "There is a €175 minimum order".
Which shop?  It might be worth knowing that they'll ship to the UK even with a minimum order.

« Reply #217 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:11:04 am »
From https://www.wheel-parts.shop/en/

Dear UK Client,

Because of the Brexit we had to update our shipping conditions to the UK.

It is now possible to get free shipping for orders above 120 euro.
Below 120 euro the shipping costs is 19 euro. This shipment is with UPS Standard.

The fastest shipment is UPS Express and this costs is 25 euro.

Summarizing:
Orders above €120,- is free shipping with UPS Standard
Orders below €120,- is 19 euro shipment with UPS Standard

UPS Express is €25,-

With best regards,
Sipke Zijlstra
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #218 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:14:34 am »
I had a £100 order of stuff from Bike Inn (Spanish) in the last week or so and there were no hidden charges, though they did charge (a not unreasonable amount for) shipping.
Rust never sleeps

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #219 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:21:34 am »

Was using one of the big german bike part shops today. Had put about €80 of stuff in the basket, went to hit checkout. And it flashes up "There is a €175 minimum order".
Which shop?  It might be worth knowing that they'll ship to the UK even with a minimum order.

This one:
https://bike-discount.de

J
--

« Reply #220 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:47:13 am »

This one:

J
Bike Discount
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #221 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:47:30 am »

This one:

J

Interestingly I can’t see that image (safari on iPad), it was only when I quoted you that the text line became visible. For others it’s https://www.bike-discount.de/

ETA x-post with Hatler
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #222 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:48:26 am »
oops

Fixed.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #224 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:55:03 am »

They were the only place I could find with chain rings in stock for my chainset, so I ordered 2 of each. Hopefully that will last me a couple of dozen megametres.

The supply chain issues in the bike industry are getting really annoying.

J
--