Author Topic: If time travel was invented what gig would you travel back in time to see  (Read 7676 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Prompted by the news that Richie Blackmore is going to play a one-off rock gig at the NEC on 25th June 2016 - the one gig that I always wanted to see (but was too young/ignorant/unware to know when it acutally happened) was Rainbow in their prime with Ronnie James Dio vocals, Richie Blackmore guitar, Cozy Powell drums.  With only one of the three still alive it probably won't be the same but..

...if you had the chance to go back in time to witness a musical performance what would it be?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: If time travel was invented what gig would you travel back in time to see
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:44:08 am »
No Contest

(I'd also need to be black, I think)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:46:49 am »
Crucifixion, maybe.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:48:30 am »
The Rolling Stones on the Exile on Main Street tour 1972.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:51:57 am »
Crucifixion, maybe.
Was there music at that one? I assumed the music was a 20th century Steven Schwartz addition.

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:01:49 am »
I think I'd have liked to have seen the Stones on Eel Pie Island.
Rust never sleeps

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:09:00 am »
So many, too many to list in totality, but a few:

The Stone Roses at Spike Island
The Ramones, anywhere really
Fishbone, ditto
RHCP at Slaine Castle
Terrorvision at Pennington's, Bradford, their first "last ever gig".  I had tickets, but couldn't go as I was in Barcelona.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:14:43 am »
The Kinks in the 60s circa "Lazy old Sun" and "David Watts"

The Hollies around the time they did Bus Stop

Ella Fitzgerald at Dukes Place late 1940's

See my old Burmese guitar teacher playing (the trombone) in New York in the 60's

Janis Joplin/Sandy Denny/Asna Puthi/Cass Elliot live in their prime

Brian Auger and Julie Driscol live at the UFO club.  Dunno if that happened ever but this time machine can go there

Ethel Murman in "Annie get your gun"

Maria Callas in Verdi's La Traviata at La Scala circa 1956

Bob Dylan goes Electric "Judas" concert

I think this would probably wear out the time machine.  Sorry

« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:15:04 am »
Oo. Another one, that I was offered tickets for, but as a poor penniless student oaf, decided that Brighton was too far from Nottingham and I couldn't afford it - the Jam's last gig.
Rust never sleeps

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:16:07 am »
Looking at late 60s/early 70s fashions, it's clear that most of the attendees of a lot of iconic gigs were time travellers.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:29:26 am »
Looking at late 60s/early 70s fashions, it's clear that most of the attendees of a lot of iconic gigs were time travellers.

In the case of Roxy Music, someone in the band  (Brian Eno) was clearly a time traveller from a more advanced era

« Reply #11 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:52:44 am »
How long a list do you want or can you stand?  Better not to go there really but
Stones anywhere , but probably St James Park early 80's -could have gone but didn't and can't remember why. Stones were old news then.
Dire Straits -anywhere
Any of the many half decent punk era bands esp.  Rezillos ,Undertones, Stranglers.
ELO- dismissed by many but a big item in the late 70's.

For real time travel-Glenn Miller Orchestra  or Ted Heath(the big band not the politician ).

In our teens,reading the NME was about as close as most of us got to the music scene as we were either financially challenged, not just for the ticket but the cost of travelling the n x100 miles to get anywhere, and then time challenged as to where we could get to anyway.
Factor in work , mortgage and discovering cycling after leaving uni and that doesn't leave time or money for gigging.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:59:48 am »
There are several gigs I was at that I would like to go back and see to ensure they were as good as I remember or whether it was the substance abuse making it so.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #13 on: 05 November, 2015, 12:00:17 pm »
Ha !  So true. Another ticket I passed on was the Stones in Roundhay Park in '83 (?), and why ?

"Because they're past it."
Rust never sleeps

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #14 on: 05 November, 2015, 12:34:44 pm »
Coltrane anywhere between '61 and '65.

Hendrix's last gig at the Albert Hall. A few of my mates went. I was skint and thought I'd catch him later.  :facepalm:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #15 on: 05 November, 2015, 12:39:27 pm »
Crikey, there's loads - top of the list are The Chameleons, before they split up and some pre-fence Glastonbury.

I don't think I'd go back to gigs I went to before without taking my mates from then back with me, Some of them were probably good because of the place and the company as much as the performance. In any case, I fear I might wince if I were to bump into 1x year old me. There's a few where drink and drugs may have changed the night, but if I'm going back in time I've probably enjoyed their recordings without the benefit of things playing with my brain.

« Reply #16 on: 05 November, 2015, 03:38:17 pm »
I'd just like to go back to when you could practically just turn up at the door, pay your money, get your hand stamped and walk in.  The band playing might become a legend or else fade into obscurity.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: 05 November, 2015, 03:41:20 pm »
Top of the pile would have to be Hawkwind on the "Space Ritual" tour, closely followed by Pink Floyd at UFO, Hendrix on a good day, Dylan when he's being Rockin' Bob, Led Zeppelin at Earls Court in 1975 and about nine or a dozen others.  I missed John Otway's 2000th gig because work chiz.

Everybody on here (who's old enough, anyway) saw the Pistols at the Lesser Free Trade Hall, didn't they?

Madcow will hate me if I confess to having seen Dire Straits at the Rainbow at Christmas 1979 (joined for the encores by Phil Lynott and a pissed-out-of-his-tiny-mind Bobby Valentino) ooops what a giveaway.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #18 on: 05 November, 2015, 03:52:19 pm »
I'd just like to go back to when you could practically just turn up at the door, pay your money, get your hand stamped and walk in.  The band playing might become a legend or else fade into obscurity.

I still do this on a fairly regular basis...

« Reply #19 on: 05 November, 2015, 03:54:45 pm »
Mr. L - Nah, just one of those things. Never happened but I don't lose sleep over it. It's probably the punk bands that I listed that I regret, as that really was a different scene and never likely to reappear.
I know the Stranglers are still touring but it's not the same line up and the appeal has gone. I have seen Madness , who I never saw in their early years and they are still pretty good, even if their gigs are a bit like a BNP meeting with loud music.

Forgot Ian Dury (RIP).

essexian

« Reply #20 on: 05 November, 2015, 04:14:42 pm »

Everybody on here (who's old enough, anyway) saw the Pistols at the Lesser Free Trade Hall, didn't they?

;D

I think I managed to see most of the bands I wanted to see in the 90's and early 2000's apart from Shed Seven, and Ash....both of whom I am seeing next month  ;D

Of the bands I did see, I would liked to have seen The Smiths more than just the once and of course, seen Carter USM as many times as I could...still my favourite band. Oh and it would be great to go back to the Barrel Organ in Birmingham to check if I really did see Radiohead and The Sultans of Ping FC on the same bill..... you had to be there! I think The Libertines upstairs at Nottingham Social would also be a gig I would like to see again.

One thing I wouldn't like to return to however, is the cloud of fag smoke which used to cover venues. I remember having to leave the Villa Leisure Centre for a fresh air break during the Plup/Blur gig (about 94?) as I couldn't breathe inside! The late, great Hummingbird was also poor for this....not going to mention the toilets!

red marley

« Reply #21 on: 05 November, 2015, 04:27:13 pm »
Can I hitch a ride in Mr Larrington's time machine? Especially Floyd at the UFO.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #22 on: 05 November, 2015, 04:34:42 pm »
I think I managed to see most of the bands I wanted to see in the 90's and early 2000's apart from Shed Seven, and Ash....both of whom I am seeing next month  ;D

Cue the compulsory York-resident's response with mandatory Shed Seven anecdote....

Never seen 'em.  But my mate Edna went out with (iirc) the bassist, I went out with a mate-of-the-band, and I was once frowned at most disapprovingly by the lead singer's mum one afternoon when a several of us trooped through the hallway of their house in a loud teenager-ly manner...  That would have been in *scratches head and counts on fingers* '88 or '89, I reckon.

« Reply #23 on: 05 November, 2015, 05:00:28 pm »
Two I went to see that I would love to relive are:

Frank Sinatra at the Royal Albert Hall.

Chet Atkins at the Grand Ole Opry. There was a door ticket draw for the Guild guitar Chet played on stage. The winning ticket was the one before mine. Doing it again would mean I could push in front of him.  ;D ;D

Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 05 November, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »
Pah!  I've read enough science fiction to know that if you travel through time to see your favourite band before they were famous, you're likely to end up creating them.  And nobody deserves that.