Linked Events

• Upper Thames: 06 November, 2010

Author Topic: Upper Thames 5th November 2022  (Read 106395 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Upper Thames 6th Nov 2010
« Reply #100 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:41:02 am »
The org's comments highlighting the change from 4 sections to 3 worry me slightly. I haven't done more than a handful of 200s and none have been remotely comfortable for me in the last 3rd of the ride. Part of the problem, besides sheer lack of general backbone, is that I don't have the eating and drinking right.

Can any of you familiar with the route, bearing in mind the above, give me an idea of when / how often you plan to eat during the ride or when you'll have your main meal of the ride, given the early start time and the reduced number of stages.
(bear in mind that only Phil has ridden it in this config)
My advice; don't panic. Because:
- Phil's marked loads of emergency food options.
- the last leg is the easiest (by far)
- the last leg does have several food options (Rowstock garage is probably a good one to 'aim for'), including various pubs.

Manotea is right about 'winter rules', but it's better to pace yourself and eat what you feel is right, than worry about dashing round as far as possible before dusk.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #101 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:02:00 pm »
The org's comments highlighting the change from 4 sections to 3 worry me slightly. I haven't done more than a handful of 200s and none have been remotely comfortable for me in the last 3rd of the ride. Part of the problem, besides sheer lack of general backbone, is that I don't have the eating and drinking right.

Can any of you familiar with the route, bearing in mind the above, give me an idea of when / how often you plan to eat during the ride or when you'll have your main meal of the ride, given the early start time and the reduced number of stages.
(bear in mind that only Phil has ridden it in this config)
My advice; don't panic. Because:
- Phil's marked loads of emergency food options.
- the last leg is the easiest (by far)
- the last leg does have several food options (Rowstock garage is probably a good one to 'aim for'), including various pubs.

Manotea is right about 'winter rules', but it's better to pace yourself and eat what you feel is right, than worry about dashing round as far as possible before dusk.

Yup, you have to ride your own ride. After a period off the bike it took a while to get back into the hang of eating properly. It's so easy to let your your reserves run down thinking there's a control coming in km miles and then push on hard to get to the control only to arrive knackered, starving and feeling like you're 'owed' a proper break, which is a good way to lose an hour. Repeat that a couple of times and you've added a couple of hours to the ride. Whether that's a good thing depends on you. I made a mistake last year when I bounced Waterperry because I didn't eat enough before hand and then chased NikW and friend for a few Km after, which set me up nicely to run out of calories on the long drags up to Dorton and Brill. Nowadays I try and make a point of eating on the run up towards controls so I'm less inclined to stop too long and ready to go directly thereafter. Well, that's the theory.

p.s., There is a small sainsburys on the right of chipping norton high street shortly before the control. A good place to stockup with goodies for the ride home.

« Reply #102 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »
........ the last leg does have several food options (Rowstock garage is probably a good one to 'aim for'), including various pubs.

Rowstock is not specifically identified on the routesheet.  It is at 197.7 (1st exit rbt onto A417).  I shall check on Monday whether they have a hot drinks dispenser there.  There is a Co-op at 194.9 in Steventon, but I have often had to queue in there, which wouldn't be much fun if you are cold and wet.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #103 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:30:58 pm »
Ah. ok [and I've just remembered Rowstock closes sometime before 11, probably much earlier]
The only benefit over Steventon is that it follows a longish climby bit. Quite small, probably lacks hot drinks.

Steventon is probably a better bet all round, given the presence of:
- decent chinese almost next to Co-op
- two decent pubs just after the co-op (Cherry Tree is the better one for really good food, if you have time in hand)

Having written this, it's going to be really hard to avoid stopping there on the day .... :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #104 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:22:03 pm »
I am going to be this: Slow.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #105 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:25:27 pm »
My shoulder still isnt up to 200k poundings so I will duck this year :'(  but the caff in Chipping Norton (cant remember its name)  was dead fast last year, and I have used it a couple of other times riding and for speed and quality it has to be one of the best.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #106 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:40:58 pm »
It's so easy to let your your reserves run down thinking there's a control coming in km miles and then push on hard to get to the control only to arrive knackered, starving and feeling like you're 'owed' a proper break, which is a good way to lose an hour. Repeat that a couple of times and you've added a couple of hours to the ride

That's exactly what I do.

Advice noted, thanks all.

« Reply #107 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:25:12 pm »

The run out from Bicester to Chippy is the section that nearly always drains me.
Has there ever been a time when there's never a headwind?

Food: there's also a chippy in Chippy on the right before the control [down the right hand turn before the cafe].
Garry Broad

« Reply #108 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:32:01 pm »
Looking forward to the traditional firework displays.  Due to change of start we may see some different ones this year.

Chris S

« Reply #109 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:37:07 pm »
The run out from Bicester to Chippy is the section that nearly always drains me.
Has there ever been a time when there's never a headwind?

Me too. It seems ever-so-gradually uphill the whole way. And, as you say, into the wind.

« Reply #110 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »
I'm thinking of going fixed. Is this madness? It's just that I've fettled the Cyo on to it and am not sure I CBA to move it back to the geared bike.

How much knitting have you got Chris?

Chris S

« Reply #111 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:40:45 pm »

You'll be fine. There's some grunty bits in the first half. After Chippy, it's easy peasy.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #112 on: 30 October, 2010, 10:49:19 pm »
You'll be fine. There's some grunty bits in the first half. After Chippy, it's easy peasy.
Oh, good - a Ménage à pignon fixe ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #113 on: 02 November, 2010, 08:49:47 pm »
........ the last leg does have several food options (Rowstock garage is probably a good one to 'aim for'), including various pubs.

Rowstock is not specifically identified on the routesheet.  It is at 197.7 (1st exit rbt onto A417).  I shall check on Monday whether they have a hot drinks dispenser there.  There is a Co-op at 194.9 in Steventon, but I have often had to queue in there, which wouldn't be much fun if you are cold and wet.

Ah. ok! [and I've just remembered Rowstock closes sometime before 11, probably much earlier] EDIT: Rowstock garage (197km) open til 10pm
The only benefit over Steventon is that it follows a longish climby bit. Quite small, probably lacks hot drinks.

Steventon is probably a better bet all round, given the presence of:
- decent chinese almost next to Co-op
- two decent pubs just after the co-op (Cherry Tree is the better one for really good food, if you have time in hand)

Having written this, it's going to be really hard to avoid stopping there on the day .... :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #114 on: 02 November, 2010, 08:59:16 pm »

Nowadays I try and make a point of eating on the run up towards controls so I'm less inclined to stop too long and ready to go directly thereafter. Well, that's the theory.

Genius! I use the same principle when going shopping (have a nom before I go so I don't fill up the trolley with munchies), and hadn't thought of applying it to rides. Thanks for that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #115 on: 02 November, 2010, 11:37:18 pm »
Hopefully it  won't be as blustery and windy as it was this afternoon  :o
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #116 on: 04 November, 2010, 10:48:16 am »
I have had a couple of messages in the last two days from on-line entrants who have not yet received their routesheet.

I have sent out routesheets to everyone that has entered - a big batch to all entrants to date, around 20th October, and as entered to subsequent entrants.  Whenever I have had a delivery failure notice (not too many, fortunately) I have dealt with them immediately.

If anyone here is still awaiting a routesheet for this event, please look in your spam filter (some filters don't like incoming messages with BCC addressees), and if you use a different email address for PayPal, look there, too.  If still nothing, please email me (address in my profile) and I will deal with it tonight.

Chris S

« Reply #117 on: 04 November, 2010, 06:31:12 pm »
This will be my 4th UT I think.

Phil, I've always wanted to ask. At 32.5 in the first section (using this year's route), we are here, at the large triangle before the drag up to the Broadplat turn:

Google Map Clicky

The instruction is R @ T at the tee that forms the leftmost corner of the triangle. Why not R then R @ T to use the leftmost rightmost side of the triangle? It looks shorter and more "natural".

No biggy - just curious.

simonp

« Reply #118 on: 04 November, 2010, 06:41:42 pm »
I'll be DNS'ing I'm afraid.

« Reply #119 on: 04 November, 2010, 06:41:53 pm »
The route used to be R, then R @ T to cut off the corner (I think you meant "rightmost side of the triangle").  But the right turn is more obvious on the map than it is on the road.  The instruction used to be marked "easy to miss", and there was a 30 repeater that marked the corner which the routesheet referred to.  The repeater has gone (it's in the hedge!) so all things considered it seemed better to go to the T, turn R and be done with it.  One less instruction (with no scope for doubt) and about 50 extra metres.

Those familiar with this junction should feel free to cut the corner.

By the way, someone has put on Twitter that on-line entry is £5.  This is incorrect (I don't know who put this there) as on-line entry is £6 to cover my extra postage costs.  If a similar entry has been made for the S Bucks Winter Warmer, the error is even greater as that event has a £1.50 on-line entry surcharge.

« Reply #120 on: 04 November, 2010, 06:42:17 pm »

Sorry to hear that Simon.

« Reply #121 on: 04 November, 2010, 07:23:50 pm »

+1 unfortunatly 

Mark me down fr next year, as I do like this ride.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #122 on: 05 November, 2010, 08:29:31 am »

Phil, I've always wanted to ask. At 32.5 in the first section (using this year's route), we are here, at the large triangle before the drag up to the Broadplat turn:

Google Map Clicky

The instruction is R @ T at the tee that forms the leftmost corner of the triangle. Why not R then R @ T to use the leftmost rightmost side of the triangle? It looks shorter and more "natural".

No biggy - just curious.

I took a close look at that on Google Maps when plotting the route for the GPS. I have used R, than R@T although in reality it;s not that much further.

Martin

« Reply #123 on: 05 November, 2010, 01:22:11 pm »

mine too; Lewes bonfire is going to scupper next year though but a leap year will make 2012 OK. 90+ riders makes this ride a highlight of the calendar, you can see other riders pretty much all the way round.

just dusted off The Dog (aka Manotea's old Squadra); having done a GdS on it I;m going to try for a Brevet 1000

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #124 on: 05 November, 2010, 05:27:33 pm »
Dear Phil,

I am going to withdraw. I have a cold, lost my voice, and am coughing.

Although I think I could complete the ride, I don't think a brisk 200k would match nature's way of getting me better. I shall hope to join you next year.

Lycra Man