Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576534 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12600 on: 21 October, 2020, 07:12:59 am »
Today I have learned what a splayd is!

And me! I'm surprised, as they seem to have been a mainstream thing with Viners making them.

« Reply #12601 on: 21 October, 2020, 07:16:01 am »
I've just realised the new rear dynamo light wot arrived today doesn't have a button to discharge the standlight capacitor. That'll be a pain on a bike that intended for train use.

I can return it as I got it through Amazon but it'll be a faff.

That's something I didn't realise was a thing either - none of my dynamo rear lights have that capability. They are all B&M though, maybe it's just not a B&M thing?
And not generally taking bikes on trains I didn't realise that you had to turn it off and couldn't just let it run down (unless it's just a stream of helpful people telling you you've left it on?)

Can you not fashion a cover for it? Bit of a faff every time you have to use it though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12602 on: 21 October, 2020, 09:04:44 am »
What is it with GPs that they have to interrupt you all the time?  My usual GP being on holiday yesterday, I had a consultation with his locum, and thanks to her continual interruptions it took all of 5 minutes to put across what would have taken less than one if she could have shut her yap and listened from start to finish.  A survey I read of a few years ago found that on average, GPs interrupt their patients every 15 seconds, but this chatterbox cut me off every 10.  She was very pleasant and helpful in the end, but I was left feeling that I hadn't managed to explain fully and she hadn't managed to form a complete picture.

Oh well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12603 on: 21 October, 2020, 09:15:21 am »

And me! I'm surprised, as they seem to have been a mainstream thing with Viners making them.

I can remember them being advertised on TV & in colour supplements back in the 70's, poss early 80's.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splayd
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #12604 on: 21 October, 2020, 09:22:02 am »
Amazon difficulties

A dongle I ordered has not arrived.  It's lost?.  Impossible to contact the sender and eventually I got through to Amazon who confirmed the tracking info bore no relation to reality and that despite information to the contrary the article had never been sent.  Refunded.

A monitor I ordered has only a French power cable.  My account is entirely UK-based these days!  I have requested a UK cable from ASUS on principle.  The box had not been tampered with, they just sent it wrong.
Move Faster and Bake Things

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #12605 on: 21 October, 2020, 09:31:26 am »

I can remember them being advertised on TV & in colour supplements back in the 70's, poss early 80's.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splayd
My mum had some. I didn't realise they had a name. I've no idea what happened to them (my mum's that is. She died 7 years ago - probably got dumped in the house clearance).
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #12606 on: 21 October, 2020, 09:41:40 am »
I've just realised the new rear dynamo light wot arrived today doesn't have a button to discharge the standlight capacitor. That'll be a pain on a bike that intended for train use.

I can return it as I got it through Amazon but it'll be a faff.

That's something I didn't realise was a thing either - none of my dynamo rear lights have that capability. They are all B&M though, maybe it's just not a B&M thing?
And not generally taking bikes on trains I didn't realise that you had to turn it off and couldn't just let it run down (unless it's just a stream of helpful people telling you you've left it on?)

Can you not fashion a cover for it? Bit of a faff every time you have to use it though.

I could, but I've seen the B&M toplight line plus, which I've got on two other bikes is currently only £20 on Amazon rather than the usual £25+. So given the new light was £13 I'm inclined to return the new light especially as the return process through Amazon lockers (there's one in the lobby at work) is easy peasy. I think I'll only end up out the cost of a jiffy bag to send it back in.

I considered making a flap to cover it but the I'd have to worry about it coming drift when I'm cycling and covering the light when I want it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12607 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:02:58 am »
No lights of any colour should be shown on station platforms! They can be confused with legit signals.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12608 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:20:13 am »
Ah, was thinking of on the train itself. That makes sense.
I don't remember the last time I took a bike on a train, and I've never done it in the dark.

« Reply #12609 on: 21 October, 2020, 12:47:17 pm »
I've grumped on here before about how the Brompton's standard dynamo light (A Spanninga Solo) has a standlight, but no button to kill the standlight. Given that the Brompton's USP is that you can take it on trains, this seems a bit daft. My secondary grump is that the B&M Toplight plus I replaced the Solo with has the cable connectors on the LH side of the light rather than the RH, so making the wires on the standard Brompton loom fractionally too short...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12610 on: 21 October, 2020, 03:08:49 pm »
FWIW the Toplight Line Plus has a discharge switch.  I've previously mentioned my modification of the standard Brompton rear light (tilt switch and low value resistor across the capacitor, to discharge automatically when you flip the rear triangle upside down).

ian

« Reply #12611 on: 21 October, 2020, 03:29:05 pm »
Dear medical practice, Geocities called and they'd like their website back.

« Reply #12612 on: 21 October, 2020, 04:02:25 pm »
FWIW the Toplight Line Plus has a discharge switch.  I've previously mentioned my modification of the standard Brompton rear light (tilt switch and low value resistor across the capacitor, to discharge automatically when you flip the rear triangle upside down).

Alas, I lack the electronics-fu for such excellent hackery - just buying a Topline plus was more my level of expertise...

« Reply #12613 on: 21 October, 2020, 07:38:00 pm »
Dear medical practice, Geocities called and they'd like their website back.

« Reply #12614 on: 21 October, 2020, 08:30:56 pm »
So I've put a refund in for the Axa rear light and have a Toplight Line Plus on the way. Will pop the Axa in the Amazon locker at work tomorrow. Alas the return is £4 so I'm going to end up spending the normal Toplight price rather than the current sale price. Oh well, at least it's not £4 on top of the usual price.

Now to find a jiffy bag to pop it in and print off the return labels.

What a silly pointless faff.  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #12615 on: 22 October, 2020, 12:26:33 pm »
Amazon difficulties

A dongle I ordered has not arrived.  It's lost?.  Impossible to contact the sender and eventually I got through to Amazon who confirmed the tracking info bore no relation to reality and that despite information to the contrary the article had never been sent.  Refunded.

A monitor I ordered has only a French power cable.  My account is entirely UK-based these days!  I have requested a UK cable from ASUS on principle.  The box had not been tampered with, they just sent it wrong.

Just realised that when they illustrated the product contents showing a French cable that's exactly what they are sending.  The instructions say 'use a plug suitable for your region' so it's down to you pal!  WYSIWYG.

I guess I will just have to use my European adapter for now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12616 on: 22 October, 2020, 01:05:57 pm »
Do you not have a box of random cables where IEC 'kettle' leads breed?

« Reply #12617 on: 22 October, 2020, 04:03:56 pm »
Do you not have a box of random cables where IEC 'kettle' leads breed?

Buried in the loft, I just need to make the effort and find it's already mostly full of French leads brought back from France! 

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #12618 on: 23 October, 2020, 07:55:34 pm »
Oh goody, Lloyds have had the image consultants in to modernise the look of their business account statements.  That's always and important use of time and money (If you happen to be related to a B ark candidate image consultant)

There's no room on the revised layout for the sheet number it seems.  Gone.  Absent. Sooo last century dahling.  Not even in increased blank space left on every page by making the font slightly smaller and slightly more rounded and the line spacing slightly tighter.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12619 on: 24 October, 2020, 05:45:48 pm »
RIP, shiny purple spork. :'( You were a good spork.

I've no idea whether Phantasmagoriana has the slightest interest in football, but here are some football shirts to make up for it:

Bristol Rovers women on the left, Bristol City men away shirt on the right. Neither traditionally play in purple. They've been named the best women's and men's football shirts of the current season (whether this will translate to on-field performance is another matter).
https://www.bristol247.com/sport/football/purple-reigns-in-winning-rovers-and-city-shirt-designs/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12620 on: 26 October, 2020, 01:20:53 pm »
I see the Idiot Tendency has started panic-buying milk again.  Tw@s.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12621 on: 26 October, 2020, 01:43:15 pm »
Exeter Rugby also play in purply-pink, or is it pinkly-purple?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12622 on: 26 October, 2020, 01:49:18 pm »
Not sure; call it lilac! But rugball seems keener on non-primary shades than round-ball kicking. Also, how come their name hasn't attracted BLM attention?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12623 on: 26 October, 2020, 05:17:02 pm »
I believe it has. Heard something on the radio a couple of weeks ago.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12624 on: 26 October, 2020, 05:25:39 pm »
Exeter Rugby also play in purply-pink, or is it pinkly-purple?

Magenta.
</tim_hall>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime