Author Topic: Canterbury, the Isle of Thanet and Whitstable  (Read 8033 times)

Canterbury, the Isle of Thanet and Whitstable
« on: 25 May, 2008, 10:54:57 pm »
Jurek hatched a plan for a ride out to the Kent coast, so Jane, Alan, Jurek and I assembled at Victoria and took a train out to Canterbury. A fine sunny day was in progress and late spring was in full flow. We made out way out into the lanes travelling northeast via the Little and Great Stours towards the coast. Excellent route, as always, by Jurek:

Greenery was much in evidence:

Tranquil lanes and minimal traffic - just what I needed:

Almost all of these photos were taken on the move, a novelty for me, so as expected there are a few like this:

;D

Jurek makes like a unicyclist:

We meander towards Sandwich - glorious countryside.

Garden adjacent to Richborough Castle:

We hit the coast, and detour into the old hovercraft port:

Strange place.

Won't be any more of these here:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4228375

Strange fruit:

Re: Canterbury, the Isle of Thanet and Whitstable
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:59:22 pm »
We get into our stride along the coast - the route goes through Ramsgate, Broadstairs, North Foreland, round the headland to Margate, and along to Herne Bay and Whitstable.

Lunch beckons, and we all become deeply sceptical of Jurek's promised tailwind. Two of these later, and I'm feeling much better:

Psychlepath:

Alan speeds towards the white cliffs:

As we turn westwards, Jurek's promised wind assistance begins to show itself.

Jurek, Jane and Alan:

It be a bit windy:

A pause for thought before proceeding:

The wind is really whipping up the waves into a foam:

Kites and parasails are out in force.

Lots of these sheltering behind the sea wall:

Something else sheltering behind the sea wall... ain't life tough  :P

We really were just blown along this stretch. The number of vessels of all sizes in the straits at this point along the coast was incredible, a traffic jam of shipping.

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:02:36 pm »
A detour inland:

This is not good news for my Pro Race 3s.

And onwards we go as the sun heads downwards:

One remarkable thing about this stretch of coast is the number of things that are banned: swimming, dogs, cycling, nudity, jetskis, a profusion of "do nots". I'm amazed that there are attempts, some official, most not, to prevent cycling along this fantastic coastal path.

After Whitstable we headed inland past the Graveney marshes to Faversham and the train.

Well recommended for exploration by bike, a grand day out  :) Cheers to Jurek for the lead, and Jane and Alan for the agreeable company.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:18:54 pm »
Hey, I'm doing much of this over the course of next week, the photos confirm we've made a good choice of location for our tour - brilliant!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:31:31 pm »
There is great potential for cycling, loads of lanes to explore - enjoy  :)

The sea front is somewhat polluted by twats telling you that you cannot cycle in front of the beach huts, along with various unofficial signs. There is only one stretch that has anything resembling an official prohibition. There is absolutely no reason why one cannot cycle safely along there. So bollocks - ride on!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2008, 12:30:56 am »
I ride that stretch regularly. No one's ever mentioned anything. It's a good route.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2008, 12:48:09 am »
Seemed to be mainly lifeguard types or beach hut minders? on the stretches where there a lot of beach huts. Not a problem, and seems to be universally ignored  :). None of the walkers or beach hut folk themselves objected - we rode past carefully anyway.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2008, 05:59:53 am »
I used to live in Whitstable, if I recall cycling isn't allowed on the path on Tankerton slopes (to the East of Whitstable) in the 'summer' (the dates are on one of the signs at the start). If you do you'll probably be accosted by someone exercising their dog on the beach also banned at the same time!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:11:42 am »
Great photos and report, Simon.  I'm reliving that lovely day right now, while the wind howls and the rain sheets down outside my window.  It's definitely my favourite part of Kent, we must head back soon.
       Jane

Domestique

« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:22:35 am »
Nice pictures  :)
Isnt a lot of that along the 'Viking Coast Trail' or whatever its called?
We rode from Reculver to Deal and back last year. The sea was calmer then, but still made me feel nervous on that stretch without the fence next to the sea  :o  ;D

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:46:43 am »
Very nice write-up & pictures.  Your & Jurek will be OK with your titanium bikes, but I hope the others washed off the sea water!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #11 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:53:23 am »
Nice pictures  :) Isnt a lot of that along the 'Viking Coast Trail' ...?

It is indeed. Re the lack of fence, Jurek apparently nearly took an unplanned dip, but chose to do this out of view of my camera.

Your & Jurek will be OK with your titanium bikes, but I hope the others washed off the sea water!

I've given my bike a good clean. I suspect Jurek is still cleaning his now  ;D

What is the max photo width that the forum will take before it resizes them? I had all of those resized to 650 pixels wide but that it obviously too wide as I see the larger ones are now at 640. It seems to resize them inconsistently. Or, more probably, I have misunderstood what it does. Does the forum software have a max photo height as well?

« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:13:41 am »
I've given my bike a good clean. I suspect Jurek is still cleaning his now  ;D

Jurek finished cleaning his yesterday  :P

You've captured the varied nature of that route particularly well SP.
It was a great day out, looking out of my rain lashed windows, it's hard to believe it was 48 hours ago.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:44:26 am »
What is the max photo width that the forum will take before it resizes them? I had all of those resized to 650 pixels wide but that it obviously too wide as I see the larger ones are now at 640. It seems to resize them inconsistently. Or, more probably, I have misunderstood what it does. Does the forum software have a max photo height as well?
It was 640 x 480, but I've changed it to 640 x 640 to help with portrait-style images (not many people here use a Hasselblad AFAIK).

Image sizing in SMF does seem to be a bit random.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14 on: 26 May, 2008, 10:02:18 am »
Thanks RZ.

As well as making them a little narrower I need to pay attention to height. Will do better next time.

(OT: Does a reasonable macro shot, my little F30. Sadly it is beginning to give up the ghost - a few times yesterday the LCD screen remained blank.)

« Reply #15 on: 26 May, 2008, 10:33:39 am »
Looks like an excellent day was had by all, some lovely pics  :thumbsup: The sea looks very dramatic.

Really Ancien

« Reply #16 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:16:47 am »
It's already been mentioned, but Reculver makes a good subject at this time of the year, especially at dawn and sunset as the equinox approaches and the Sun rises and sets much more to the North.

Damon.

« Reply #17 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:54:54 pm »
It was 640 x 480, but I've changed it to 640 x 640 to help with portrait-style images...
Image sizing in SMF does seem to be a bit random.

Is it possible to do away with the height limit altogether. AIUI the limits are only to prevent overly wide images affecting the page layout - does height matter?

Arthur

« Reply #18 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:41:36 am »
Excellent stuff. Many of my most enjoyable day-rides have been around the Kent coast, and the Isle of Thanet never disappoints. Here's a few of mine from a similar ride last September.

Between Canterbury and Dover. A post-box in the middle of nowhere.

Looking down on Dover docks from the famous white cliffs

The remains of the WW2 Dover Chain Home radar masts. In a nearby field there's also a plaque marking where aircraft of the Royal Flying Corps took off en-route to France in WW1. On such a perfect summers day it all seemed so hard to imagine.

The downland between Dover and Deal

It appears that cyclists were exempt from paying tolls at Sandwich.

It's called Hands and Molecule, apparently.

The Viking longboat, Hugin.

What's this? The Daily Wail sponsoring foreign culture on our shores? Nowadays I suspect there'd be a spittle-flecked front-page protest instead.

Viking Bay, Broadstairs. A lovely bit of beach  :thumbsup:

Beach-huts and Herne Bay pier, with Reculver towers in the backgroud.

The pier at Herne Bay used to be the 2nd-longest public pier in Britain (3,787 feet), until the storms of January 1978 washed most of it away. The pier-head is still there though, slowly rotting into the sea.

Really Ancien

« Reply #19 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:52:15 am »
Happy memories of Herne Bay, I lived for two years within half a mile of where you took the picture of the pier pavilion. We were in the  THE HAMPTON INN, on the night of the storm in 1978 and they had to turn the lights off as seawater was running down the light fittings from the waves crashing over the roof, the following morning all the beach huts were smashed and the foreshore road was covered in pebbles.
Shepherd Neame have a quite good accomodation offer if you want to visit East Kent. Special Offers - Shepherd Neame

Damon.

« Reply #20 on: 27 May, 2008, 04:35:12 pm »
The  yarn I had been spun story I was told was that the pier had been sabotaged during WWII as, on account of it's length, it would've afforded the Germans an extensive landing stage for their fleet - had the invasion taken place.
You Gents are clearly better informed.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2008, 05:15:37 pm »
Looks like great riding.  When I was down there with the car a couple of weeks back, I was wishing I had a bike to roll down those lanes.

Did you call in at Locks?
Getting there...

« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2008, 05:19:36 pm »
Err... no.
What is Locks?

clarion

• Tyke
Getting there...

« Reply #24 on: 27 May, 2008, 05:33:14 pm »
I wish I had known . . . .  :(