Author Topic: TDF 2023  (Read 25811 times)

Re: TDF 2023
« Reply #525 on: 25 July, 2023, 03:51:11 am »
24 hours later, and I still think it remarkable that JV was 3 minutes ahead of everyone except Pog...on a 32 minute ride.

Last year he rode the entire Tour faster than anyone in history.

Interesting article in Eurosport

https://www.eurosport.fr/cyclisme/tour-de-france/2023/tour-de-france-2023-la-performance-de-jonas-vingegaard-et-les-soupcons-de-dopage-en-question_sto9715289/story.shtml

FDJ's performance director has picked up on the same point I made here: the difference between JV and 3rd place on the Tt.

"Plus que l'écart entre Vingegaard et Pogacar, ce qui interpelle est le delta entre Vingegaard et le reste", estime Frédéric Grappe. Avec une vitesse moyenne de 41,3 km/h ce jour-là, le double vainqueur du Tour a été 3,4 km/h plus rapide que le troisième Wout van Aert.
"Si j'avais un athlète qui faisait ça, je ne serais pas à l'aise, commente Frédéric Grappe. Je me poserais de grosses questions. La performance va au-delà de l'erreur de mesure des modèles d'estimation de puissance développée."

Re: TDF 2023
« Reply #526 on: 25 July, 2023, 09:14:35 am »
Tres interessant!  Aussi very telling is the gap on final classification between Vingegaard and the rest of the field bar Pogacar, although that does happen occasionally, I think.

I know we were also "interested" in how badly the wheels seemed to come off (yes, I know) Roglic in that previous notorious time trial when Pogacar seemed to be faster uphill than everyone else was on the flat.  And, relatively speaking, Jonas Vingegaard seems to have come from nowhere over the last two or three years, while Pogacar seems to have been born a champion.

It's all a bit jaw-dropping.