Author Topic: RIP Terry Venables  (Read 1405 times)

RIP Terry Venables
« on: 26 November, 2023, 03:52:14 pm »
Definitely worth a mention IMO.

Brown envelopes were always alluded too ;), and his relationship with Mr Sugar was a classic clash of personalities, but as well as being a half decent player his greatest asset was his man manager abilities. I always remember how he tried to console Garth Southgate after penalty miss in Euro 96, rather than exhibit the disappointment himself [I'm sure that came soon after]. Shame he wasn't able to take England to France 98, he may have been able to hold Gascoigne in check. Maybe. He's warmly remembered by all the players from that era. 
Garry Broad

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
Re: RIP Terry Venables
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2023, 04:06:18 pm »
Yes, definitely worth a mention.  Great manager, great England manager, and great personality.  (And I'm a Gooner  :))
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2023, 05:23:48 pm »
RIP.  At least the news showed the fabulous goal by Gascoigne against Scotland and the earlier stunner in the game by Alan Shearer, which it overshadowed. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2023, 05:37:59 pm »
I understand the FA wanted El Tel to stay as Eng-er-land manager but he needed to spend more time on his many court cases.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2023, 06:05:16 pm »
I signed the Official Secrets Act, so can't possibly comment.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 26 November, 2023, 06:37:26 pm »
Secrets Act or not, Wow, if you think you have scored a better goal than Shearer's or Gascoigne's, I think it's in the public interest that you should present the evidence.

« Reply #6 on: 26 November, 2023, 06:47:38 pm »
Gascoigne

It's easy for ones opinion of Gazza to be over shadowed by his demons and how they have unfortunately impacted his life in general, but I went down a YouTube rabbit hole [as you do] the other night, watching loads of old footage and was reminded of just what a brilliantly intuitive footballer he really was - his strength, close control and vision was just fantastic.
Garry Broad

« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2023, 06:59:25 pm »
Absolutely, Garry.  (I think I just went all Match Of The Day, there!)

« Reply #8 on: 26 November, 2023, 07:18:37 pm »
 I remember watching Gascoigne when he played for the toon . He was a bloody nightmare fat , slow and unfit . He used to just about come to a complete stand still in the second half . No wonder his nickname was the "fat twat " and we used to throw mars bars at him . Not as a joke, but in total frustration . Give him his due Terry Venables , transformed him on the pitch . 
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #9 on: 26 November, 2023, 07:54:22 pm »
Fortunately, most of us will never know what it is like to live out mental illness or such-like condition in front of 50,000 people and eventually "the public interest".  Of course, his stupid "friends" didn't help.

« Reply #10 on: 27 November, 2023, 08:39:51 am »
Honestly . Peter this is not an anti Gazza rant  . Newcastle could not get the best out of him .  But Terry Venables being a great man manger did .   
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #11 on: 27 November, 2023, 04:48:08 pm »
I remember watching Gascoigne when he played for the toon . He was a bloody nightmare fat , slow and unfit . He used to just about come to a complete stand still in the second half . No wonder his nickname was the "fat twat " and we used to throw mars bars at him . Not as a joke, but in total frustration . Give him his due Terry Venables , transformed him on the pitch .

And next on Jackanory.

Never heard such a complete load of shite

« Reply #12 on: 27 November, 2023, 06:47:39 pm »
Honestly . Peter this is not an anti Gazza rant  . Newcastle could not get the best out of him .  But Terry Venables being a great man manger did .   

I know that, Colin, man!  It's pretty hard to see how anyone could have got the best out of him, because he was damaged goods from a very early stage.  We probably all thought it was over-indulgence but I'm pretty sure from my own more direct experience in the family now, that it wasn't.  But that goal ... !

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #13 on: 27 November, 2023, 09:15:24 pm »
At Euro 96 England were a Gazza big toe away from a home final v. the Czech Republic that England surely would have won (a dreary final won by Germany with a really jammy golden goal in ET iirc). 

Even before yesterday's tributes you could see that his teams played with bravery and belief - perhaps that's a bit of a contrast with England's slightly inhibited football-by-numbers under Southgate in recent years. 

RIP El Tel.