Author Topic: ACH The Way to the Sea 200 from Greenwich 3/7/2021  (Read 11193 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: ACH "The Way to the Sea" 200 from Greenwich 3/7/2021
« Reply #25 on: 08 May, 2021, 03:57:49 pm »
I have entered...first calendar ride since Jan 2020. No idea whether I can ride that far still! I've offered to route check, having figured out I can do that in two rides with some train assistance if necessary, while I test me and my bike.

« Reply #26 on: 08 May, 2021, 06:41:02 pm »
I have entered...first calendar ride since Jan 2020. No idea whether I can ride that far still! I've offered to route check, having figured out I can do that in two rides with some train assistance if necessary, while I test me and my bike.

Not on the tandem?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 08 May, 2021, 10:58:15 pm »
first calendar ride since Jan 2020

It will be my first since Feb 2019. See you at the back of the field!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #28 on: 10 May, 2021, 01:45:14 pm »
Too slow!  Already full.
Hope it goes well.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 10 May, 2021, 01:54:17 pm »
We found that last night. Such is life!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #30 on: 10 May, 2021, 02:02:17 pm »
I suspect more places will be released once AUK updates its Covid guidance.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #31 on: 10 May, 2021, 02:14:58 pm »
Also there may be others like me who have an entry but are likely to help on the day and so potentially free up a space.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #32 on: 10 May, 2021, 03:16:25 pm »
Yes, I am hoping there'll be more spaces from either:

a) Changes to AUK COVID policy as the event is running July after the government claim there'll be no more restrictions.....
b) People will bhoot who offer to help, and people changing their mind

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #33 on: 04 June, 2021, 02:35:00 pm »
Yes, I was about to post that I am definitely at the dithering stage so I look forward to a relaxing of the restrictions, given we are allowed to sit in pubs with utter unknown strangers, restricting rider on 200km ride seems a bit stingy. Standing by, maybe, perhaps, possibly.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #34 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:01:27 pm »
I'd been hoping I would be able to open this event up to more riders but as the end of lockdown has been pushed back that won't be happening. It also means it'll be groups of six setting off at 10 minute intervals.

There will be a routecheck happening on Saturday, after which I'll send out information on the starting groups, plus gpx files and route sheet.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #35 on: 21 June, 2021, 10:37:14 pm »
Email with COVID information, groups, route sheet, gpx etc has just been sent out.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #36 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:38:22 am »
This was said on the email sent out but to reiterate please could anyone who's decided not to ride let me know. Thanks.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #37 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:50:23 pm »
Hopefully not too many people decide to drop out because they'd rather spend their Saturday evening watching the kickball...

« Reply #38 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:54:51 pm »
Are you running a standby list?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #39 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:55:53 pm »
I've got two more people who had asked on standby (tho they haven't replied to the email).

Otherwise at the moment totally full.

However, I am happy to add any more names to the standby list in case of a glut of people changing their mind.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #40 on: 30 June, 2021, 09:40:53 am »

However, I am happy to add any more names to the standby list in case of a glut of people changing their mind.

I hope that any that do have the decency to let you know asap. I've been hearing of large numbers of DNSs at some other events that were full, with waiting lists. It's very inconsiderate to both the organiser and other members who would like to have taken part.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #41 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:06:24 pm »
I've had emails from some people who now cannot ride, which is great and it's meant I've been able to add others who hadn't originally got onto the event.

The ride is now full :thumbsup:. Hopefully no one else drops out because I won't have time to add anyone else to the start list.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #42 on: 01 July, 2021, 11:33:22 pm »
Looking forward to seeing some of you at the start, but I won't be riding as I have already done it twice - once in a two part route check (tandem based) and once as a "proper" helpers ride on solo.

Adam has already mentioned many of the delights of the route but I would just add that I enjoyed the section down to Grain - I've explored most of the Hoo peninsula many times but I had never ventured that far. The road was surprisingly popular with cyclists - and I now see it is a time trial route, presumably on account of being wide, flat, straightish and with not too much motor traffic. On the route check we were not pressed for time - and if you aren't either then it is worth going the extra 0.5km beyond the Co-op to Grain beach as in Adam's photo. From there you can virtually see your next control a mere 6km directly across the sea but 50km by road!

Having had a "never again" visit to Sheppey many years ago when the motor traffic was horrendous, it was wonderful to use the new cycle path, like being in the Netherlands for a blissful kilometre (each way). Don't be tempted to ride on the road and miss this treat - although if there is a car boot sale on, then the road will probably just be a solid traffic jam anyway. And for good measure there is another remarkably good path just after Burham on the way to Peters Village.

Later on there is another "surely I am not still in Kent" moment when you are suddenly transported to New England in a housing development (I didn't check but I suspect it's all plastic!). That is followed shortly by Birling Hill as mentioned by others. I was pleased to get that behind me!

One tip for supplies/refreshment options - before Burham when you are on NCN17 you go behind a petrol station - it does have a shop and a coffee machine which could be handy, otherwise your next opportunity is Costa/McDs at Snodland about 10km further on.

citoyen

« Reply #43 on: 02 July, 2021, 08:55:37 am »
Very much looking forward to this - although I'm hoping the forecast rain holds off.

I've explored various bits of the Hoo peninsula on foot, but never by bike (though various West Kent members OTP regularly ride out that way). Definitely second the recommendation to visit Grain beach - and if the tide is out (low tide tomorrow is about 1.30pm) you can walk all the way along the causeway to the Grain Battery Tower. And from there, it's just a short swim to Sheerness...

Also agreed about the Sheppey cycle path. That road really is horrendous for cycling and the path has made it so much more pleasant.

As an addendum to adamski's email, the Horseshoe & Castle in Cooling purports to be the pub that the Three Jolly Bargemen in Great Expectations is based on, where Jaggers meets Pip for the first time (although the old building burnt down and the current building postdates Dickens).

I'm in the 8.40 start group so don't expect to see many other riders until the finish. My train is due in at Greenwich at 08.17, which is pretty much perfect - time to get a coffee before rolling over to the start.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #44 on: 02 July, 2021, 10:18:24 am »
I am looking forward to getting you all on the road. I started thinking about this route in May last year when I was stuck at home during the first lockdown. It's great is is now happening, and also good to finally organise a ride after having ridden so many over the past 10+ years.

There's a massive pile of food in the corner of my living room having been shopping last night :thumbsup:

I'm hoping the forecast rain holds off.

You and me both or else the Minster control may be a soggy affair.... I have packed umbrellas for the control...

As an addendum to adamski's email, the Horseshoe & Castle in Cooling purports to be the pub that the Three Jolly Bargemen in Great Expectations is based on, where Jaggers meets Pip for the first time (although the old building burnt down and the current building postdates Dickens).

Thanks for that info. Perhaps I should give Dickens another go! Something to do over the summer hols :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #45 on: 02 July, 2021, 10:35:03 am »
I wouldn't bother. Far more interesting to ride to the locations in the books than actually read them. ;D

αdαmsκι

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #47 on: 02 July, 2021, 02:08:15 pm »

I'm in the 8.40 start group so don't expect to see many other riders until the finish.

I imagine you'll be seeing me (8am start) well before we both get to the Isle of Grain!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #48 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:01:23 pm »
I have just checked the foot tunnel in case anyone is intending to use it to get to Greenwich. Looks like north lift is out of action but south is working.

citoyen

« Reply #49 on: 03 July, 2021, 06:20:21 am »
https://www.weatherbagel.com/f/36691dd4-9576-4301-801b-7a5e5e11f44f

Not too bad.

Forecast is improving all time. :thumbsup:

There’s been heavy rain in east Kent overnight - the lane to the station was partially flooded this morning, but it’s looking like a lovely morning.