Author Topic: I could have commuted in today but...  (Read 101506 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: I could have commuted in today but...
« Reply #475 on: 06 December, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »
Not ideal cycling weather, then.
Getting there...

« Reply #476 on: 20 January, 2014, 06:51:22 pm »
...my new regime for determining how slippery the roads are going to be (does MrsC have to scrape the car windscreen) said 'no'.
So I get in the car. Just round the corner a car coming the other way pulls in to let me pass, then signals for me to open my window.
"You won't get to Yeovil on the main road, there's been a nasty accident".
So I go the other way round (which is not cycle friendly).
MrsC saw the accident. A car on its side exactly where I came off last Tuesday (and pretty close to where another car had overturned a few minutes before I came off).

A good call I think.

Ice tyres seem a bit overkill in the soggy south west.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #477 on: 27 January, 2014, 06:26:03 am »
Black ice everywhere.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #478 on: 27 January, 2014, 09:44:30 am »
I haven't ridden in a week.

Every night is spent packing and moving carloads of crap. A 50mile round trip commute is not compatible with an evening spent hauling furniture about.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #479 on: 06 March, 2014, 09:11:39 am »
I couldn't be arsed to mess about with flat tyres at 10 past 7 in the morning. I changed into a different (non-lycra) pair of shorts and walked in.

At least I've been told I can knock off an hour early so I can "put my bike back together".

<note to self: do summat about at least one of the three bikes in the shed and two others in the living room. Only having one roadworthy bike can be a PITA>
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #480 on: 07 March, 2014, 08:41:38 am »
Butterfly's picking me up after work to go away for the weekend! :D
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #481 on: 06 June, 2014, 09:30:30 am »
I really should have rested up a couple of days after the whisky cycling tour.  Barely a month out of hospital and I do not have the strength I need.  Cycling is deceptively fun and only later do I realise I'm drained.  So back on public transport today.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #482 on: 06 October, 2014, 01:35:06 pm »
I should have commuted today but the weather was wet.  Normally not a problem,  First choice Orange bike is at the bike doctors have its spacers rearranged. Green bike does not have working brakes.  Red bike is afraid of the rain, it tells me its tyres will go pop if I take it out at this time of the year in the wet. So I got absolutely soaked walking to and from the railway station (about an hour).

I have decided to have a week off riding.  Next week I will have orange bike that is raring to go on another winter of commuting.  Friday's expected brake block delivery will probably happen today so I can fit them next weekend.   So I will have two commuting bikes.  I will be full fed up with the train by then.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #483 on: 06 October, 2014, 04:51:08 pm »
We were in the middle of this -

Highest wind speeds so far 6/10/14

Official Highest wind speeds from the Met Office

Stornoway -51 mph at 7am

South Uist - 84 mph at 4am

Unofficial Highest wind speeds from the Met Office.

Hebridean weather point - 52 mph

Eoropie Ness - 68.9 mph

Askernish South Uist - 60 mph ( since 9 am)

Berneray - 63 mph

Highest wind speed winter 14/15 so far 84 mph 6/10/14

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #484 on: 06 October, 2014, 08:07:11 pm »
We were in the middle of this -

Highest wind speeds so far 6/10/14

Official Highest wind speeds from the Met Office

Stornoway -51 mph at 7am

South Uist - 84 mph at 4am

Unofficial Highest wind speeds from the Met Office.

Hebridean weather point - 52 mph

Eoropie Ness - 68.9 mph

Askernish South Uist - 60 mph ( since 9 am)

Berneray - 63 mph

Highest wind speed winter 14/15 so far 84 mph 6/10/14

Lightweight! ;D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #485 on: 09 October, 2014, 01:04:21 pm »
I should have used red bike today despite the puncture risk.  I caught the 7:23 train at Radyr. This train takes the long way around the coast to Bridgend at 8:40. By the time I walk from the station to work I would be late.  So at Cardiff I swap to the 7:50 (Manchester to Milford Haven first stop Bridgend) train which I expect to arrive at 8:09 which is enough time for me to walk to work with ten minutes to spare. I am sitting in the train and I noticed that it has not departed.  The guard walks down the train saying sorry a tree has fallen across the main line we are going to go around the vale.  I arrive in Bridgend at 9:15 and work at 9:45.

« Reply #486 on: 22 October, 2014, 09:00:30 am »
when I woke up, my right leg was dead, as if I'd slept on it and cut off the blood.

Stayed like that when I got up. Staggered downstairs, wondered what to do. no control over my leg, no strength in it Was intending to cycle but frankly felt scared to try it in case I couldn't manage and ended up stranded. Was already too late to catch bus, so ended up on the train. Still can't walk without stick.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Si_Co

« Reply #487 on: 06 November, 2014, 12:07:41 pm »
I still carp after 3 days abed with lurgy, god I hate the train

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #488 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:04:21 pm »
This morning I had to take the train. At work we have some important clients visiting. I have been told my cycling clothing sometimes smells leaving an unacceptable odour near the door. So I agreed not to cycle in today.  After the slipperiness of Saturday morning. On Friday it rained/sleet before freezing turning the local roads into ice rinks. It took me twice as long as usual walking to the Supermarket. I am glad I did not take the bike. This morning was much better. The pavement to the station was not slippery at all. Should have done a bike/train/bike commute. Less sweaty than the proper ride.

« Reply #489 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:23:58 am »
Snow basically.

It wasn't really deep so just brown slush on the roads and the thought of the faff of having to knock the slush off and leaving it exposed at work to start corroding and then riding home and having to give it a clean in the dark didn't really appeal.

Popped my fell shoes on instead and ran in which was nice and enjoyable. Not having to worry about car-pillocks meant that I could spend more time enjoying the snowy landscape and laughing at people in 4x4s not going anywhere because cars.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #490 on: 21 January, 2015, 04:52:16 pm »
Better yet is laughing at people in 4x4s not going anywhere because they're clueless muppets who believe an extra set of driven wheels will magically overcome the laws of physics.  Also known as "quattro Syndrome" :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #491 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:44:28 am »
Possibility of black ice and prudence was a better option.  Falling off isnt fun

ian

« Reply #492 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:54:48 am »
In Berlin. Always impressed by the number of cyclists just bumbling about in normal coats and scarves. All the roads seemed gritted and everyone seemed to be on their usual bikes and tyres.

« Reply #493 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:34:32 am »
Day off as there is furniture being delivered and I need to clean / tidy the house and prepare to paint my lounge before more furniture arrives next friday.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #494 on: 17 February, 2015, 07:40:13 pm »
I tried to commute. Got dressed in cycling clobber. Fitted bags to Orange bike. Fit self to saddle and peddled away from the house. So far quite normal. It is cold and icy bits on the road so I avoid the lane and take the more used roads. I notice that the disc brake is rubbing. It seems to be that on cold mornings recently.  Orange bike is clearly sulking I went on Holiday without it a couple of weeks ago.  I descend Drysgol road then brake hard at the junction of Windsor road.  The back brake locks up completely. I cannot pedal.  So I carry the bike back home. I am so annoyed that I took the train rather than Green bike.

« Reply #495 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:04:16 pm »
first working day since 7th nov that I have not cycled the 6.5 miles to work. Instead a 10 minute bus ride and 45 minute train ride to Richmond for meetings.

« Reply #496 on: 09 March, 2015, 09:30:03 am »
second day not cycling,

left wrist in a splint after a tumble on the KVR so I took the bus to work. It's slower door to desk than both cycling and showering.  :facepalm:

Si_Co

« Reply #497 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:43:19 pm »
After 2 days with lurgy and a look at the wind speeds I decided discretion was the better part of valour and came in the cattle car. The right choice probably but I can't really wait to run in on my nice shiny new wheels, maybe tomorrow.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #498 on: 07 September, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »
Plagued with an achy hip for the last couple of weeks, which has made sleeping uncomfortable, so walked in to work. "Can I still cycle?" I asked my Physiotherapist son. "No" he said. By some miracle, the pain has diminished this lunchtime, to be almost 'gone'. Will wait and see later on what it's like, and I have been trying hip flexors as son suggested, but something must be happening with the bike set-up or summink.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #499 on: 08 September, 2015, 10:43:30 am »
Walky in again today. Hips getting better. Didn't wake me up last night.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex