Author Topic: Six Nations  (Read 249567 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Six Nations
« on: 07 February, 2009, 02:32:10 pm »
Anyone watching?

Re: Six Nations - England
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2009, 02:36:33 pm »
will be. Just back from buying a loaf of cinnamon soda bread for half time.

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2009, 02:40:22 pm »
No but I'll be watching the next champions France later on.

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2009, 02:41:33 pm »
Yes will watch while doing a bit of exercise biking. Need something to take my mind off what could be a frustrating game.

Looking forward to Ireland v France though.

tonycollinet

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2009, 02:42:27 pm »
Not being a regular rugby follower - do we stand a chance?

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2009, 02:43:30 pm »
Anyone watching?
Yes. Just about to head off for the beer.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2009, 02:48:38 pm »
do we stand a chance?

Not sure if you mean "stand a chance" of beating Italy or "stand a chance" to win the championship.  I'd be very surprised if England did not beat the Italians, although I expect the match to be scrappy, with plenty of penalties and points coming from the boot rather than flowing rugby.  I expect England to win by ~12 points.

As for the championship, I cannot see England winning the whole thing.  The team just isn't gelled together & hasn't been for a number of years.  I'm also unsure about Martin Johnston's ability as a manager just yet.  he was a great player & captain, but it's different skill to manager a team and there's probably a lot he still needs to learn.  I'm happy to be proved wrong, tho!

Oh, I won't be watching it because none of the channels I've got access to will be showing the match :(.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2009, 03:06:10 pm »
YES!!!    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

First try at 1:38!    ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

tonycollinet

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2009, 03:06:59 pm »
Good start.....
 :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »
I expect the match to be scrappy, with plenty of penalties and points coming from the boot rather than flowing rugby. 

Two tries within the first 20 mins.  Ignore what I just said....
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

tonycollinet

« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2009, 03:35:02 pm »
That's three in less than 30 now.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2009, 04:15:17 pm »
I missed first half, where by the look of it everything happened, come on chap's get on with it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2009, 04:19:53 pm »
Anyone watching?

No - but I can hear it alight from here.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #13 on: 07 February, 2009, 04:25:36 pm »
will be. Just back from buying a loaf of cinnamon soda bread for half time.

Mrs Thor wants to know where you get the cinnamon soda bread.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #14 on: 07 February, 2009, 04:33:27 pm »
My daughter is watching this. England are pissing over the Italians and all the commentators can do is whinge that the England team isn't doing as well as they think they should. In any other country they'd be celebrating.  ::-)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #15 on: 07 February, 2009, 04:57:42 pm »
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.   :( :(

We're doomed.   :-[
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #16 on: 07 February, 2009, 05:34:29 pm »
  ;D I couldn't help thinking, the look on Martin Johnson's face when England scored a try anyone would think he had money riding on the Italians  ;D
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #17 on: 07 February, 2009, 05:48:39 pm »
My daughter is watching this. England are pissing over the Italians and all the commentators can do is whinge that the England team isn't doing as well as they think they should. In any other country they'd be celebrating.  ::-)
Bollocks. If Italy had had a scrum-half for the first 40 minutes, England would have been in trouble. The commentators are shit-scared because they care, & they're thinking about the games against Wales, France & Ireland. Against them, this level of performance would lead to humiliation. An All-Black, Wallaby or Boks coach watching his side play like that would be thinking of his next job, because he'd need to. The populace would be baying for his head on a spike, not celebrating.

Look at the second half: Italy were playing with their 5th choice scrum-half, who was obviously as nervous as hell & kicking the ball hurriedly, but because he was, at least, familiar with his craft instead of being a forward (albeit an excellent one) playing out of position, things came together. One fumble not made, by a bloke who was only playing because Mauro Bergamasco was played as scrum-half, and Italy would have won the second half.

Italy will actually come out of this game feeling disappointed at the result, but more confident of the rest of the tournament than England. Part of that is because of lower expectations, of course, but they'll have more confidence in their ability to play up to those expectations. The experiment with Mauro B. was such an obvious failure Mallett can't repeat it. Once Toniolatti came on he showed that he could do a good enough job to allow the team to play. Imagine the first half with Mauro B. playing open-side flanker, & a proper Italian scrum-half. . .  could have been worse than the second half. Marcato would have been able to play, instead of being clattered every two minutes because of being on the end of poorly placed or mistimed passes*, & the rest of the Italian backs would have had a chance of being more than lawn ornaments.

I'm not looking forward to the next match. The Welsh are very happy indeed about today. I have a dreadful fear that Fatbloke is right.

Oh, I won't be watching it because none of the channels I've got access to will be showing the match :(.
You can't receive BBC1?

;D I couldn't help thinking, the look on Martin Johnson's face when England scored a try anyone would think he had money riding on the Italians  ;D
If his mouth twitches he's well pleased. He doesn't do smiling. Look at his reaction to the tackle Geraghty was sin-binned for, & you'll see his "I don't like that" face. Buried in his hands.

*I don't blame Bergamasco for that. It was Malletts mistake playing him there.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #18 on: 07 February, 2009, 05:55:44 pm »
I'd say that England looked clueless - no width, no aggression and no fluency with the ball. They may have beaten Italy, but they could easily lose to everyone else without a lot of improvement.

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #19 on: 07 February, 2009, 05:56:25 pm »
I know it's only half time but Ireland and France look like they are playing a different sport. Fast and skilful.

Both tries have been good but the French one was brilliant.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 07 February, 2009, 06:29:03 pm »
The BBC coverage on both matches has been shit though.
It is simpler than it looks.

gonzo

« Reply #21 on: 07 February, 2009, 07:07:43 pm »
I've given up supporting England. I'm supporting Ireland now instead because it's at least good to watch even if they don't win!

NB. You haven't known hatred unless you've been the only non-frenchman sat in a French bar cheering as the Irish beat them!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #22 on: 07 February, 2009, 07:11:02 pm »
No but I'll be watching the next champions BEAT France later on.

FTFY.

To Be Sure.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #23 on: 07 February, 2009, 07:15:41 pm »
The Ireland / France game was fantastic, in sharp contrast to England /Itlay.  i've seen more entertaining schoolboy games.

Can I suggest the OP changes the thread title to just "Six Nations" so we can keep it going throughout?

« Reply #24 on: 07 February, 2009, 07:22:26 pm »
Yep. I dread seeing England play either Ireland or France after the performances today. Both played well. An excellent match.