Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 73833 times)

Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« on: 14 September, 2010, 11:08:14 pm »
So?  A daft idea to ride to Whitby on the Hallowe'en weekend, coinciding with the bi-annual Gothic Weekend.

Gothic attire is encouraged, but not compulsory.

Google Images

Depart York Station, midnight Friday 29/10/10.
Ride to Whitby - a slightly hilly route across the Moors.  Wrap up well!  We'd do well to find a halfway stop, but I can't think of anywhere 24-hour en route.  Any suggestions welcome!

Probably weather-dependent, but I rarely let that put me off. Who else fancies it?

The suggested route (courtesy of mrcharly):

Bicycle Path - York to Whitby - A169 at Bikely.com

Returning from Whitby:

1) Catch a train to Middlesbrough and on from there.  Trains depart Whitby at 08.52 and 12.41.  It's a slow train, so it takes an hour and a half to Middlesbrough, and from Middlesbrough, you can catch a train on to wherever.

2) Ride to Scarborough (about 10 miles) and catch a train from there.  A regular service to York, starting at 05.28. Engineering works mean there is a bus replacement service, so bikes will not be permitted.

3) Catch a steam train :D  The NYM railway runs a service across the Moors from Whitby to Pickering, and from there you can ride back to York.  It's almost certainly not the quickest way of doing it, but if you want to make an event of it...

Cast:

Aidan
andrewc
Arch
CrinklyLion
CrinklyLion's Friend
Deano
Luke
mcshroom
MrCharly (unlikely)
SlowCoach
Tiermat
Tigerbiten
TimO
Tom_e

Possibles are in grey.
indicates travelling by steam train.

Sag wagon: erm, me.  Bring your own cups.

I'll dash up the road and find a handy bus shelter to brew up in.  I'm gonna need a bigger boat camping stove.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:15:23 pm »
Weather and waiting for slowcoaches dependant, yes, assuming that my half term plans don't get terribly complicated!  I don't mind cold or wet, but I don't do icy and hills+serious headwinds could make me an uncomfortably slow companion for anyone who had to wait for me if it was very cold!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:24:19 pm »
Tentatively interested, but we're well into Stupid Lungs issues on night rides by then, so could end up being rather slow.  Will have to think about it properly...

jogler

• mojo operandi

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:41:59 pm »
Assumming so I suggest the forum runs with this thread as it seems that Deano has picked up here from where he left off  on the earlier thread :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:43:30 pm »
which means I am a YES

« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:47:30 pm »
Aye, same ride.  I forgot the earlier thread.

All welcome!  Slow, fast, whatever.  If it comes to it, we could split into Group Fast and Group Slow, though I'd hope we can stay together.  It's nowhere near as hilly as KTTR.

The cold, and lack of shelter, is what's bothering me.  If I can find a suitable spot (such as near Goathland), it might be worth setting up with a camping stove and bacon/soup and tea/coffee, provided it's reasonably sheltered.  Goathland suggests itself, cos of the railway station - there may be a sheltered platform, away from residential areas.  I'll have a think.  I'd need a loyal Igor to guide the group from York while I rode over from Darlo, mind.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:49:36 pm »
It's nowhere near as hilly as KTTR.

And let me guess.... it's only got 78 'last' hills, then all downhill from there?   :P

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:50:53 pm »

TFFT ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:53:03 pm »

And let me guess.... it's only got 78 'last' hills, then all downhill from there?   :P

I'll explain it to you when I see you on Friday night.It's something like

"you'll be reet"
 ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:56:33 pm »
BTW Deano...them Google Images...which one is yourself ;D

« Reply #11 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:58:12 pm »

No, seriously!  Nowt steep, either, unless we detour to Goathland, in which case we'll all be walking.

That's not the same as saying it's flat, of course.  Blue Bank is probably the highlight, but we go down that.

If people feel we need a longer route to add miles, there's an alternative route up Sutton Bank ;)

« Reply #12 on: 14 September, 2010, 11:58:52 pm »
BTW Deano...them Google Images...which one is yourself ;D

All of them.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #13 on: 15 September, 2010, 08:49:26 am »
No mates that I can wheedle into providing a halfway stop that spring to mind, but post a route and I'll see if I can think of anyone.  My mate with the holiday cottage in Whitby (spitting distance of the Magpie, btw) said we could go to her for a coffee when we get there.  Don't know if she was entirely serious, but I'll enquire nearer the time!

« Reply #14 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:45:41 pm »
We may need somewhere in Whitby - I don't know any early-opening cafes there.  There aren't too many possibilities between York and Whitby, either, but I'll have a think.

« Reply #15 on: 15 September, 2010, 06:43:20 pm »
If people feel we need a longer route to add miles, there's an alternative route up Sutton Bank ;)

Chicken - why do Sutton Bank when there is White Horse Bank just around the corner :)

« Reply #16 on: 15 September, 2010, 06:49:10 pm »
In the middle of the night, you're welcome to it.  One of us'll be back in the morning to clean up the mess ;)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #17 on: 15 September, 2010, 07:29:25 pm »
There's a chance I could meet up with you at a half way point and supply tea / coffee and bacon / egg sandwiches.

I'd be in the car, and have cooking supplies for making hot food and drinks.

My other half is up for going to Whitby for Halloween.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #18 on: 15 September, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »
If you can pull that off Hulver you could end up on a lot of Christmas card lists ;D

« Reply #19 on: 15 September, 2010, 09:33:44 pm »
How kind, hulver!  I'll bear it in mind, but I shan't hold you to it.  At the moment you're the only game in town, as there's nowt 24-hour en route.

Gothic weekender in Whitby, eh?  Dark horses, I tell you ;)

« Reply #20 on: 15 September, 2010, 09:49:13 pm »
...By the way, I've added some suggestions for returning from Whitby to York/wherever to the OP.  Steam trains, anyone? ;D

« Reply #21 on: 15 September, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »
im up for this  extreme weather and other things permitting.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 15 September, 2010, 09:54:16 pm »
Oooh, steam!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #23 on: 16 September, 2010, 10:14:23 am »
I don't think I will be able to get a pass for this one, but I think I might well be able to step in if Hulver can't manage to supply the tea wagon....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #24 on: 16 September, 2010, 10:26:21 am »
 I like the prospect of riding a steam train to Pickering & then cycling back to York

EDIT However, at £13: Whitby-Pickering one way adult fare: which is a bit  :o I  am inclined to ride to Scab,10 miles & train from there back to York for somewhat less.
Oh & + £2 for the bike