Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75308 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #50 on: 23 September, 2010, 05:54:17 pm »
I'm going to list some possible routes to Whitby. There isn't really a way of avoiding hills, although avoiding the Howardian hills might be a good idea.

Route 1 - simplest, using the A169

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/York-to-Whitby-A169 

I'd always planned to use the A169 - it'll be deserted in the middle of the night (not that it's an especially busy road).  The only alternatives are going via Scarborough and the A171, which seems a bit daft, or going through the lanes.  I could guide us through, but it'd be lunacy to go through Rosedale or over Wheeldale Moor in the middle of the night...

Your route to Pickering looks fine - I don't know that area too well.

Sorry you can't make it, LG :(

Route to Pickering is ok.  The bit between Malton and Pickering is busy , but at the time we hit it it will be fine

« Reply #51 on: 23 September, 2010, 08:00:23 pm »
Oh, dear, it seems I can't make this ride.

:'(

:(

« Reply #52 on: 27 September, 2010, 04:58:56 am »
Oooh!  I wonder if the NYMR would be more open to a trike on the train. 

The NYMR have old huge guard's vans and I cannot imagine that they would not. On the other hand the climb up Blue Bank is spectacular. It is also a complete bastard with a hangover and a touring load after a week's solid debauchery.

I will have arrived in Whitby on the Thursday for the WGW, but might see some of you on the Friday...

I always trog up the A169 from Malton even during the day. Also, if you are trying to minimise cycling on the return journey, picking up a train _from_ Malton to York cuts out a lot of distance.

« Reply #53 on: 27 September, 2010, 10:19:23 am »
Honestly, Arch, I think you should try getting your trike on the morning transpennine sometime. I catch that train twice a week during commuter time, and I've seen 6 bikes in the bike space (when there is standing-room only) - the guards are usually pretty accommodating. Might have to turn your trike on it's side, but it wouldn't take up more than two normal bike spaces.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #54 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:18:52 pm »
I've added a list of likely attendees to the OP.  I've also invested in a bit of Hallowe'en-related tat at Poundland  :-[

Do spread the word about this -  a massive convoy would be good. 

Does anyone know of an early-opening cafe in Whitby, or are we all going to pile into CrinklyLion's friend's house?

« Reply #55 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:53:48 pm »
I looked in Poundland too!  Not bought anything yet, but I will...

Should I mention it over on Cyclechat? Might garner a few more interestees....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #56 on: 28 September, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »
I looked in Poundland too!  Not bought anything yet, but I will...

Should I mention it over on Cyclechat? Might garner a few more interestees....

Aye, do that.  I'm not a member over there.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #57 on: 28 September, 2010, 11:26:06 pm »
I'll attempt to see my mate at some point this week and find out if she was entirely serious about welcoming hordes of smelly lycra-clad nutters for warmth and coffee whilst we wait for cafes to be open.  She's probably a good source of local knowledge about early-openers, if nothing else.  My plan is still to do this, weather permitting - I really don't do icy, because I would fall off my bike as I'm actually a bit crap at cycling!  My mum always said I was the one that would never learn to ride a bike, because my balance and co-ordination was so rubbish.  I guess mums are always right :)

« Reply #58 on: 29 September, 2010, 05:52:54 pm »
Does anyone know of an early-opening cafe in Whitby, or are we all going to pile into CrinklyLion's friend's house?

Don't quote me on it, but I believe the station cafe opens early - a lot of bikers use it.

« Reply #59 on: 29 September, 2010, 06:48:22 pm »
I'm a bit late to this thread, but tempted by the ride.  I missed the Northern FRNttC, because I gave up on trying to find a train with bicycle spaces at a sensible time.  Looking at the trains for this one, it would also be stupidly expensive, so it's probably cheaper and easier for me to drive to York, and at least justify having a car (which has been used twice this year, and one of those was driving to the MOT!).

Can anyone local suggest how practical it will be to park somewhere in York on Friday evening, until Saturday middayish?

Incidentally, it looks like the Scarborough to York train isn't running on that date, but has been replaced by a bus service, which is likely to baulk at a mass of cyclists trying to get back.  The steam option is looking more and more sensible.
Actually, it is rocket science.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #60 on: 29 September, 2010, 06:50:44 pm »
Tim, you can park on street outside my house.  10 minutes pootle to the station, and may well have a Kim in attendance too :)

« Reply #61 on: 29 September, 2010, 08:51:18 pm »
I also have parking near to train station.

I've checked trains from Whitby and Scarborough, and looks like you are right Tim. No trains running, dammit.

btw, we've been asked not to use the FRNttC nomiker, 'cause it ain't anything to do with the chap who organises the original friday night rides.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #62 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:04:25 pm »
We dont use the FNRttC name   we do use the words Friday , night and ride but I don't see anyone has a monopoly on that

« Reply #63 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:05:48 pm »
I also have parking near to train station.

I've checked trains from Whitby and Scarborough, and looks like you are right Tim. No trains running, dammit.

btw, we've been asked not to use the FRNttC nomiker, 'cause it ain't anything to do with the chap who organises the original friday night rides.

Seems fair.  I take it he doesn't object to the current title, since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

BTW, there is another public transport back to York, as I mention in the OP: an 8.52 train from Whitby to Middlesbrough, from where you can change for York.  It's much longer (it's an hour and a half journey from Whitby to Boro), but the Eskdale line is lovely, and it may beat cycling, if you're knackered.

« Reply #64 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:09:26 pm »
I'll probably ride back.  Or maybes take the NCN route to Scarborough and get the train home. That means I could stop in Robin Hoods bay for a second or third breakfast then :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #65 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:10:08 pm »
I have not yet discarded the notion to ride the steam train to Pickering & then ride back to York from there

« Reply #66 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:13:33 pm »
No trains from Scarborough on Sat, Aidan. All bus replacements.

I think I'd have to take the same option as Jogler. Some of my family might come over to Whitby for the day, but I'm not sure if my bike will fit in the car.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #67 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:16:02 pm »
I've been talking to folk on the Velo Vision forum, and the word is that the cyclepath surface between Whitby and Scarborough is dreadful in places....

I've emailed the NYMR to enquire about the trike, although the VV opinion is that trikes and other oddities are fine.  I've also asked if they have a limit on the number of bikes that can be carried*, in case many of us want to return to Pickering...

*Well, I mean they must do, physically, but it would be handy to have some idea of it...

I can't remember if it's been mentioned, and am too lazy to check ;), do we have an approximate milage for the ride out?

« Reply #68 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:17:12 pm »
oh, and company on the steam train, and ensuing last cycling leg, would be most welcome. I promise not to come over all Celia Johnson in the refreshment room.

« Reply #69 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:24:03 pm »
I can't remember if it's been mentioned, and am too lazy to check ;), do we have an approximate milage for the ride out?

78Km with 773m of climbing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #70 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:29:44 pm »
It's a damn shame about the Scarborough-York trains being cancelled - looks as though some trains are still operating between Malton and York, which makes it a potentially shorter ride back.

mrcharly, did you see anything about the Whitby-Middlesbrough trains being replaced with buses?  AFAICS it's a normal service.

« Reply #71 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:31:23 pm »
I was expecting to use the steam train route back.  Much as cycling back to York would be possible if all else failed, I'd prefer not to knacker myself out any more than I have to, since I'll have to drive 220 miles at each end of the ride!

I may partake of CrinklyLion's offer of parking, and a cup of tea and some cake prior to the ride.  I suspect that may also mean I would be called upon to transport cake to the ride as well, but I could live with that. <fx: Nom nom nom> ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #72 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:33:40 pm »
I'm sure people can use the steam trains - but there's a limited capacity, so I was hoping the Scarborough trains would be a good alternative.

Let's see what Arch gets back from the NYM railway - they may have more than just one trike to carry...

« Reply #73 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:40:50 pm »
oh, and company on the steam train, and ensuing last cycling leg, would be most welcome. I promise not to come over all Celia Johnson in the refreshment room.

Unless of course anyone really wants to play Trevor Howard, in which case I will practise my clipped vowels and natty hat wearing.

Deano - if there's more than one recumbentist, we'll just wierd them into taking us....

There seem to be three steamers on the Saturday, but for preference we'd want to get the 11am, to give us as much light as possible for the Pickering-York leg. There is an earlier Northern Rail connecting service to Grosmont - once again, it might be down to sweet talking to get the trike on.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #74 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:45:23 pm »
I'll hopefully be catching the steam train  and cycling back to York.

Also going to have to drive over it looks like as it's £20 cheaper than the trains. For some reason  from Whitehaven I can get to London and back (660 miles) for a Friday night ride cheaper than I can get to York and back (280 miles)???

I'm thinking about just parking somewhere in Acomb unless someone can suggest better.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!