Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75306 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #100 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:07:47 pm »
We probably are talking about the same place - I imagined riding along Eskdale, through Ingleby Greenhow, up Clay Bank and the Bilsdale road to Chop Gate, then going down Carlton Bank and down to York through Thirsk.  If you went around through Great Broughton and up Carlton Bank, you'd be doubling back on yourself.  Either way, it adds about 25 miles to the ride to York, so only a hardened nutter would be going back that way!

Don't we all qualify as that just for doing this ride in the first place? ;)

I went out yesterday and spent a whopping £1.99 on Halloweeny decorations for the trike.... ;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #101 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:17:54 pm »
it adds about 25 miles to the ride to York, so only a hardened nutter would be going back that way!

Next time Deano tries a ride to Oban and back, maybe he'll talk you into it too?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #102 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:20:15 pm »

Nah - it's just a bike ride, out to get a nice cuppa by the seaside.  Isn't it?  And Deano assures us that it isn't very hilly at all.

« Reply #103 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:46:25 pm »

Nah - it's just a bike ride, out to get a nice cuppa by the seaside.  Isn't it?  And Deano assures us that it isn't very hilly at all.

I've heard that before.  Usually just before you turn the corner and are faced with the son of Everest.

I go on an annual weekend away with some mates in Northumberland and we go out for rides of varying lengths. One guy, I used to ask "What's your ride like?" and he'd say "oh, not very hilly, and about 40 miles" - which I eventually learned meant "80 miles up and down every hill I can find".  It took me a stupidly long time to stop believing him though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:48:48 pm »
It's going to be fun, isn't it?  I like fun :)

« Reply #105 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:59:17 pm »
It's going to be fun, isn't it?  I like fun :)

I hope so! After being a little bit nervous for the Scarborough ride (first night ride and all that, and wondering if I was up to riding back), I'm really looking forward to this one. The only downer could be the weather, but on the trike at least I'm not so worried about ice.  Need warmer feet though - better invest in overshoes.

Those of us aiming for the 11am train out again have a bit of time to while away over tea/beer or whatever too.

« Reply #106 on: 03 October, 2010, 05:46:26 pm »

I'm sure I didn't say that!

« Reply #107 on: 03 October, 2010, 05:59:09 pm »
Oh, we may have a nibble from Cyclechat....

« Reply #108 on: 03 October, 2010, 09:04:36 pm »
I'm thinking of joining you on this ride  .........   :thumbsup:
My problem is getting back to York with my trike as the BR trains are not running.
The problem is that beyond ~70 miles, my knees give out.

Luck ............ :D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #109 on: 03 October, 2010, 09:40:24 pm »
Well, there is a train to Boro then change to get back south from there, if the  knee is really unhappy. I have no idea if I'll be riding back, steam training or going for the lengthy br route-make it up as I go along, I reckon :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #110 on: 03 October, 2010, 09:47:39 pm »
I'll be making it up as I go along, with a general leaning towards the steam train.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #111 on: 05 October, 2010, 04:39:22 pm »
My source of local knowledge says that there are loads of early opening greasy spoons in Whitby, frequented by the fishermen,  this being one that she has been to before.  Apparently many of them are fairly entertaining at that time of the morning.  And I'm reasonably likely to be cycling through Whitby a couple of days ahead of this, so can go and scope out the options that have a harbour view and convenient railings if that would be helpful?

« Reply #112 on: 05 October, 2010, 08:15:56 pm »
My source of local knowledge says that there are loads of early opening greasy spoons in Whitby, frequented by the fishermen,  this being one that she has been to before.  Apparently many of them are fairly entertaining at that time of the morning.  And I'm reasonably likely to be cycling through Whitby a couple of days ahead of this, so can go and scope out the options that have a harbour view and convenient railings if that would be helpful?

If you wouldn't mind, CL, that would be really helpful.

« Reply #113 on: 05 October, 2010, 08:17:12 pm »
I'm thinking of joining you on this ride  .........   :thumbsup:
My problem is getting back to York with my trike as the BR trains are not running.
The problem is that beyond ~70 miles, my knees give out.

Luck ............ :D

Welcome aboard!  As others have said, there's a train via Middlesbrough as an alternative to catching the steamer to Pickering.

Two trikes!  Crikey.

« Reply #114 on: 05 October, 2010, 08:36:57 pm »

« Reply #115 on: 05 October, 2010, 08:39:13 pm »

Sorry, cocked that up.  Meant to say, that would be cool, CL. If you can find one filled with hunky trawlermen in Aran sweaters playing shanties on sqeezeboxes, that would be best of all...

« Reply #116 on: 05 October, 2010, 08:41:07 pm »
Arch, if you're ever in Mallaig, do get a breakfast at the Fisherman's Mission...

« Reply #117 on: 05 October, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »
 ;D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #118 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:09:45 pm »
that would be cool, CL. If you can find one filled with hunky trawlermen in Aran sweaters playing shanties on sqeezeboxes, that would be best of all...

Now there's a challenge..... one that I suspect I may fail at.  Possibly heroically, or tragi-comically, or something!

We're also considering steam training out of Whitby, if we can think of an interesting route from a station on that line to a currently unspecified nice campsite.  And before anyone suggests Rosedale, I know there's a nice campsite there and I also know that there's an almighty gurt big hill there too!  If we do, I shall do my very bestest 'sweet middle class girlie' impression, complete with cute blond 8 year old in tow, and attempt to find out from the guard/whoever seems likely to actually know on the train what the likelihood of trike/silly numbers of bikes transportation is :)

« Reply #119 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:41:46 am »
Hi all,  i'm afraid i've got to drop out of this ride due to a damaged knee ligament! I have to back off hills and long distances for about 6 weeks to let it get better.   :'(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #120 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:42:50 am »
As things are going at the moment I may well be around to participate in this, so pencil me in Deano.....

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #121 on: 06 October, 2010, 11:16:47 am »
I'm really tempted to do this ride.

Investigating train opions to get to and from York atm.
Don't ask.

« Reply #122 on: 06 October, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »
I'm really tempted to do this ride.

Investigating train opions to get to and from York atm.

Excellent!  Which reminds me, I'd better book a train as well.

« Reply #123 on: 06 October, 2010, 01:01:19 pm »
Hi all,  i'm afraid i've got to drop out of this ride due to a damaged knee ligament! I have to back off hills and long distances for about 6 weeks to let it get better.   :'(

Bah.  Sorry to hear that, S.

« Reply #124 on: 06 October, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »
that would be cool, CL. If you can find one filled with hunky trawlermen in Aran sweaters playing shanties on sqeezeboxes, that would be best of all...

Now there's a challenge..... one that I suspect I may fail at.  Possibly heroically, or tragi-comically, or something!

We're also considering steam training out of Whitby, if we can think of an interesting route from a station on that line to a currently unspecified nice campsite. 

There's a campsite near Grosmont.  If it's the one I think it is, it's a very friendly place which also allows you to play with FIRE, as long as you're subtle about it.

But, it was 12 years ago when I was at this site, and sad to say, drink was taken, so my recollection is a tad hazy.