Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75598 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #125 on: 06 October, 2010, 01:08:02 pm »
Well I've ordered various bits of car bike carrying equipment, which will hopefully turn up at some point in the next three weeks, so I can fit it to the car and make sure my bike doesn't make the Corsa too top heavy. ;D

I'm also going to have to make sure I have a list of stuff which I'll need to bring.  It's hard to forget bicycle lights when you're about to cycle to Hyde Park Corner for a FNRttC in the dark, it's much more easily done when you're not cycling, and it's daylight!  Turning up to the ride with any number of things missing, like lights, SPD shoes, etc could be a real nuisance.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #126 on: 06 October, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »
Hi all,  i'm afraid i've got to drop out of this ride due to a damaged knee ligament! I have to back off hills and long distances for about 6 weeks to let it get better.   :'(

well, blast. What were you doing, kicking cars?

At least you'll be able to self-treat and not wait for an nhs appointment.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #127 on: 06 October, 2010, 04:33:57 pm »

well, blast. What were you doing, kicking cars?

nasty sliding tackle  ;)
(no not really, I just overcooked it on a hilly ride).

« Reply #128 on: 06 October, 2010, 04:44:21 pm »
Hi all,  i'm afraid i've got to drop out of this ride due to a damaged knee ligament! I have to back off hills and long distances for about 6 weeks to let it get better.   :'(

Oh, bad luck!  We'll bring you a virtual stick of rock.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #129 on: 06 October, 2010, 04:50:12 pm »
Thanks Arch, i'm disappointed.  Make sure you take lots of photos!

« Reply #130 on: 06 October, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »
Thanks Arch, i'm disappointed.  Make sure you take lots of photos!

If I've got my camera back. I dropped it while at my sister's and broke it. Fortunately I took out the accidental damage cover when I bought it, but Jessops still have it to see if it can be mended.

It severely curtailed my nephew-photograhing though.... :(  Only about 100 pictures before I broke it.... ;)

« Reply #131 on: 06 October, 2010, 09:14:44 pm »
I've had a quick skeg at Google Streetview, and there's a handy-looking bus shelter in Lockton:

clicky

I'd prefer somewhere away from residential areas.  If it's mild enough, the parking area at Hole of Horcum can accommodate any number of deranged overnight cyclists:

clicky

If you spin that around, you can catch sight of the view which we won't have.

Hopefully we can decide between the two on the night - or if anyone can suggest a more suitable location (such as a deserted hangar, with built-in heating and poor security), I'd be most grateful. 

At the moment, it looks most likely to be me who's on the tea run - so I'll dash ahead of everyone and get brewing.  Anyone have a decent-sized (and lightweight) teapot?

« Reply #132 on: 06 October, 2010, 09:41:16 pm »
As things are going at the moment I may well be around to participate in this, so pencil me in Deano.....

Hope you can make it - you know what to do, if so ;D

(click to show/hide)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #133 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:12:18 pm »
Sorry, don't have an appropriate teapot.  But I'm definitely up for providing a plenty of cake (which I will probably make TimO carry in his magic pannier) if that would help?

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #134 on: 07 October, 2010, 07:23:06 am »
I'm unlikely to be able to provide a tea stop from the back of the car now.

Sorry.

« Reply #135 on: 07 October, 2010, 09:37:54 am »
I don't have a teapot suitable - I'll see if there's anything likely at work, but I think the only metal teapot we have is a bit huge to carry.

I'm not well endowed with bottle cages on the trike, but if you need any extra water or stuff carrying I could fit my touring bags. Although if you brew up at the top of the Hole of Horcum hill, I'll most likely get there just as everyone is ready to go again.... ;)

How about stoves?  Do we need more than one?  I've got a Trangia.

« Reply #136 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:09:49 am »
I've got a decent gas stove, and I guess we could just put a biggish pot on there instead of a kettle.  My kettle, which I normally only carry when car camping, probably only has a couple of cups in it, so it's not really useful to carry on this occasion.

The biggest issue with brewing up ourselves, is the weight of water.  I carried a 2L bottle of water on the Solstice WARTY last year, and it almost killed McBludgeon when he tried to lift my bike over a gate!  I guess this won't be such an issue if we have 3amses before the hilly bits of the ride.

« Reply #137 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:21:19 am »
I think I have a small camping gaz and kettle somewhere. Will try to locate them.

I can stick an extra bottle cage on bike and put a litre of water in that.

People not carrying kettles, stoves or suchlike will be expected to perform a rendition of "I'm a little teapot, short and stout" (oops, that describes me) at 2am on the north york moors.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #138 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:22:43 am »
P'raps each rider could carry the water they normally would plus enough for a brew for themselves.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #139 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:33:11 am »
P'raps each rider could carry the water they normally would plus enough for a brew for themselves.

That was going to be my suggestion.....

On the Scarborough ride I had a 500ml bidon, a 1litre bidon in my pannier ('cos I have only one bottle cage on the purple bike) and a large amount of cake, which is why I struggled up some of the hills (that's my excuse, and I am sticking to it :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #140 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:47:23 am »
I think that's what we did on this years Solstice WARTY.  I certainly didn't carry as much water as before.  I'd probably still carry a pint of milk or so.  How much of this kit we'll need will depend on exactly how many people are planning on doing the ride.

« Reply #141 on: 07 October, 2010, 01:04:19 pm »
We've got anything up to fifteen people coming at the moment (if Deano's list at the start is accurate), so we will probably need a couple of cookers anyway.  Likewise with that many people, we'll also probably need a couple of pints of milk to make enough mugs of tea/coffee, and people are likely to need to bring their own cups (or use someone else's on a time-share basis!).

I'm happy to bring a cooker, largish pan and lid, a pint of milk, my small camping containers of coffee, sugar, and tea bags, a teaspoon for stirring, and possibly another pint (or so) of water in addition to a water bottle of water, to cover for people who aren't carrying a pannier, and don't have much room for water bottles on their frames.  With addition of some cake, that should provide a reasonable halfway break, assuming we can find somewhere not too windy to eat and drink.

« Reply #142 on: 07 October, 2010, 01:25:23 pm »
How much of this kit we'll need will depend on exactly how many people are planning on doing the ride.

I dunno. Doesn't a group of cyclists' ability to drink tea simply expand to fit the available tea? Also applies to cake....

If I fit the touring bags, I can bring the Trangia, (plus fuel), an extra bottle of water, milk.  But as jogler suggested, if we all just bring a bit of extra water, that will help.

Perhaps nearer the time, when the list is confirmed, and the forecast known, we can commit to who needs to bring what. 

LindaG

« Reply #143 on: 07 October, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »
I had a big flask of coffee on the Scab ride, in me pannier.  Bit heavy.  Still warm and wet when I got home tho'.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #144 on: 07 October, 2010, 01:41:19 pm »
How about one of you takes a turbo trainer, hooks it up to a generator and pedals to boil an electric kettle? 

« Reply #145 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:28:19 pm »
Sounds like a volunteer to me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #146 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:40:32 pm »
I'll carry some water and milk and coffee/hot choc/whatever. Gives me a reason to fit a third bottle cage to the tourer  :)

I also have at least one gas camping stove at home and a trangia, although I'm not sure I have a kettle (I'll look when I get home).

What do you want to do about cups?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #147 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:46:24 pm »
I think everyone will need to carry their own cups, though I'll have a spare.

I have a Trangia and a gas stove - how about I carry my Trangia, and someone else can carry a gas stove.

Two will be enough... won't it?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #148 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:57:56 pm »
yes.

I'm feeling decisive today :)

Next question - Deano, how many coffee cakes will you eat  ;D

« Reply #149 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:00:33 pm »
How many can you cook? ;D