Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75308 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #150 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
multiples of 8 for jersey pocket size, multiples of 4 for carradice pocket size.

How good are you at times tables  :P

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #151 on: 07 October, 2010, 05:12:59 pm »
I may have had a little titanium-related accident that ought to come in handy for brewing up...   ::-)

« Reply #152 on: 07 October, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »
multiples of 8 for jersey pocket size, multiples of 4 for carradice pocket size.

I don't have any jerseys with 8 pockets in them.

« Reply #153 on: 07 October, 2010, 07:19:08 pm »

Wear 3 or 4 jerseys?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #154 on: 07 October, 2010, 07:23:18 pm »

Wear 3 or 4 jerseys?

If it gets much colder on a night that might be a good idea ;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #155 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:55:58 pm »
Just checked and I do have a small kettle in my trangy, it's only about 500ml though
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #156 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:45:54 am »
Well, I got a big box of bicycle carrier bits today, so I'll have to have a go at putting it all together on Sunday, and make sure that the car can actually carry a bike!  I would try it out tomorrow, but I'll be off on a WARTY, so playing with cars will have to wait until after playing with bicycles (as is proper!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #157 on: 09 October, 2010, 07:51:14 am »
Looking at trains and stuff for the return leg, I might just charge back towards Helmsley and get Mrs T to meet me there.  The trains out of Whitby to Northallerton are irregular and take nearly 3 hours!

Mrs T was talking about meeting us in Whitby, but due to dance lessons (TLD's not Mrs T's) looks like it wouldn't work (Mrs T is not a morning person hence would not get to Whitby 'til about 10 or so, and the dance llessons start @ 10!)

So my current plan seems to be ride York to Whitby, brekkie, then ride Whitby to Helmsley and wait to be rescued... :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #158 on: 09 October, 2010, 08:26:58 pm »
Oh dear, I seem to have bought some glow sticks :-[

« Reply #159 on: 10 October, 2010, 04:27:01 pm »
Right, the bicycle carrier seems to work, it fits the bike, and it's nice and solidly secure. :thumbsup:

That's one less thing to deal with before the end of the month.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #160 on: 10 October, 2010, 07:41:17 pm »
Tim, I don't know what your Talisker arrangements are for this one, but if you need somewhere to crash on the Saturday night before driving back give us a shout - we can offer a settee, at least (although I don't know that it's quite long enough for you to stretch out).  If you just want to catch a couple of hours on the Saturday after getting back to York before heading back south, I'm sure we could find you a corner to snooze in too :)

« Reply #161 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:18:44 pm »
Talisker is going to be sent to prison in the cattery over the weekend.  Since he needs drugs every day, and being of the more elderly persuasion he's a bit prone to ending up in the vets whenever I leave him for more than a normal working day, he ends up in the cattery even for the odd day away from home.

Luckily I've got a good, not too expensive cattery only a couple of miles away.  They also remember me, since I'm the only person who brings a cat around on a bicycle trailer !

I may take you up on your offer CrinklyLion, although I won't need much more than a bit of flat space that I can plonk a Thermarest on.  I suspect driving for five hours probably shouldn't be done immediately after I've been up all night. :)

« Reply #162 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:54:30 pm »
I may have had a little titanium-related accident that ought to come in handy for brewing up...   ::-)

I've just noticed this - do tell. 

By the way, though I'm calling it a brew-up, I'l be carrying loads of instant coffee.  Maybe a few teabags - I'm not really that arsed about tea.  If you want poncy special tea, or hot chocolate or any other alternative, I'm afraid you'll have to carry your own.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #163 on: 10 October, 2010, 09:37:35 pm »
I've invested in one of these:

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16256&category_id=253

Along with a rather spiffy folding titanium spork.

The mug is huge (750ml) and comes with a lid, so can reasonably be used for cooking in, and will happily sit on a gas burner for the purpose.  Just under half full gives you a reasonable amount of water for a hot drink, so you can easily boil enough for two (assuming there's something for the other person to drink out of.

What's really cool, as I discovered on Friday, is that it's just the right diameter to take a standard Coleman (and presumably the MSR equivilent) gas cartridge, with enough room left over for a small burner and assorted bits and pieces.  I also worked out how to strap it to my bike in a vaguely sensible way, to save luggage space - just about visible in the photo in this post, the thing that looks like an air filter, strapped to the lowrider rack under the seat.

« Reply #164 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:02:30 pm »
Yeah.  We need to see that in action, I'm afraid, so you'll have to carry a stove.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #165 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »
I'll bring a stove if you want
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #166 on: 11 October, 2010, 03:59:36 pm »
My train tickets are booked, so I'm definitely in now.  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

« Reply #167 on: 11 October, 2010, 04:33:24 pm »
Looking unlikely that I'll make this one. Either I'll be away with family or looking after daughter after dental surgery.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #168 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:27:42 pm »
My train tickets are booked, so I'm definitely in now.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Looking unlikely that I'll make this one. Either I'll be away with family or looking after daughter after dental surgery.

*insert thumbs-down smiley*

I only need one other person to bring a stove, by the way - preferably a gas one.  I'll fetch my Trangia and dash up the road to get it going, then the handy volunteer can arrive with a gas stove which is likely to boil quicker.  Probably a good idea if it's a stronger rider, too.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #169 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:33:22 pm »
I fail on all counts - no stove, and no chance of speeding on ahead :)

For those planning to steam train to Pickering then ride to York - has anybody thought about a route?  I know it's oop north and I probably ought to know where I'm going - but I haven't got a clue!  AFAIK Kim and TimO are contemplating doing this, and are in possession of magic technology that points the way to home/tea/bed so my current plan is to follow them and hope I don't get dropped :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #170 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »
For those planning to steam train to Pickering then ride to York - has anybody thought about a route? 

Being a low-tech ginda guy I plan to disembark from the train,consult map.....start pedalling.
I may have a looksee at the map between now & 29th Oct. by way of forward planning.
 :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #171 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:39:38 pm »
My train tickets are booked,

I really should get a roundtoit

« Reply #172 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:41:21 pm »
If I was riding, I'd probably go from Pickering, round Castle Howard, through Sheriff Hutton and down to York, but I don't know the area that well, and someone in the know could propose a less hilly route.  Aidan's probably your man.

I think jogler and Arch are both planning to ride back from Pickering - no doubt they'll be along soon to confirm.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #173 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »
IIRC it's an easy pedal from Sheriff Hutton to York via Wiggington & Haxby,but as I say that's from memory . There's definately a good pub with good food in Sh.Hut..Strange how I remember that dontyathink ;D

« Reply #174 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:50:04 pm »
It's the Howardian Hills bit I was thinking about, as it happens.  Very nice, mind.