Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75306 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #225 on: 14 October, 2010, 08:47:42 pm »
You could rock the pirate look with a 'tache.  Yarrrr!

« Reply #226 on: 14 October, 2010, 08:49:32 pm »
Oh dear.

the mask or my singing?

One of these

Foska Bones Vest - Only £25.00 - Rutland Cycling

or similar would go well with the mask ;D

It will be close enough to Halloween for such nonsense to perhaps be "appreciated" dontyathink :)

That's the jacket I've got....  But it's very warm indeed.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #227 on: 14 October, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »
I think that'll be too warm, Arch.  You need another jersey.

« Reply #228 on: 14 October, 2010, 09:12:08 pm »
I think that'll be too warm, Arch.  You need another jersey.

The trouble with jerseys is that then I bung a coat over them....

If I had a lot of money, I think I could end up with a lot of Foska stuff.

Actually, one of their salesmen is a real gem.  I was at the Cycle show a few years back, where they had a stall, where you could order stuff, and get a free water bottle. I was umming and ahhing over a Colmans jersey, and said to the chap that I couldn't decide between road (tighter) or MTB (baggy)

He looked me up and down, and without a hint of slime or insincerity, said "Oh, I think you have the figure for road".

I bought the jersey without a further thought...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #229 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:10:40 pm »
There's another volunteer from the Rescue who is very very tempted by this..... She's a bit nervous about night-riding, as she's never done it before, but likes the sound of the whole adventure.  I'll see her next week and see if she's made a decision :)

« Reply #230 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »
Tell her we don't bite. 

Or, tell her we do, if that's her bag.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #231 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:25:59 pm »
Acksherly, coz I iz such a sensible growed up person, I told her that I was sure that there would be other night rides next year, where more of the ride would be in daylight and that might be less lumpy, if she was really really nervous about it.

And that she should come along to this one anyway  ;D

Then, because I have learned summat, I told that she just needed to make sure that her bike was running OK, that she had enough layers, some decent gloves, reasonable lights, a bottle of water, a mug for brewing up time, a spare tube of the right size and valve type and any freakishly unusual tools specific to her bike that might be required in the case of emergency roadside fettling and then she'd be reet. 

« Reply #232 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:29:26 pm »
... She's a bit nervous about night-riding, as she's never done it before, ...

None of us had done night riding, until we did...  :)

Night rides are were the cool kids are at... and us... erm. 8)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #233 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:31:39 pm »
Night riding is one of the best things about cycling.

« Reply #234 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:33:17 pm »
Acksherly, coz I iz such a sensible growed up person, I told her that I was sure that there would be other night rides next year, where more of the ride would be in daylight and that might be less lumpy, if she was really really nervous about it.

There will be other night rides next year. I am talking about <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-bBay_1dKK8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-bBay_1dKK8&rel=1</a> next summer

« Reply #235 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:37:32 pm »
There will be other night rides next year. I am talking about <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-bBay_1dKK8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-bBay_1dKK8&rel=1</a> next summer

Salma Hayek can bite on my neck any time. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #236 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:39:56 pm »

That's more appropriate for this ride.  Ah go on, you know you want to come along.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #237 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:54:53 pm »
I'll bake you a cake, Mr Nesbitt, just for you.... I'll even decorate it with little bats or spiders or something. G'wan g'wan g'wan!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #238 on: 14 October, 2010, 11:27:29 pm »
Just now, reading this thread over my shoulder:

Quote from: barakta
When I've got a trike, I'll be able to come on night rides - I like walking at night, everything's all still.

:D :D :thumbsup:

« Reply #239 on: 14 October, 2010, 11:53:19 pm »
I'll also be toting a brew up kit for a mid ride stop.

I'll need to book a bike space for the return journey from York to Liverpool, if we take the steam train and then ride back to York what time do we anticipate getting there ?

From http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html

http://www.northyorkshiremoorsrailway.com/
Routes:National Rail Network Interchange Grosmont - Pickering
Gauge: Standard - there are few minor roads on this part of the moor, so the railway could be useful
Folding bikes: tick No restrictions   Tandems and tricycles:  Unknown

All trains have a guard's van, but space varies, so tandems, tricycles or cycling groups are advised to book in advance. Individual cyclists can usually turn up and travel, subject to space being available. The cycle carriage fee is £2 per day, covering any amount of travel.

Tel: 01751 473799   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #240 on: 15 October, 2010, 07:40:30 am »
Don't think this is relevant here, but thought I would post it anyways in case it affects any one doing this.

Sutton bank is closed for 5 weeks, whilst they repair the road surface and install video cameras to monitor the HGV driving idiots that try getting up there, even though there are numerous signs on the approach saying "don't do it"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #241 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:46:41 am »
I'll also be toting a brew up kit for a mid ride stop.

I'll need to book a bike space for the return journey from York to Liverpool, if we take the steam train and then ride back to York what time do we anticipate getting there ?

From http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html

http://www.northyorkshiremoorsrailway.com/
Routes:National Rail Network Interchange Grosmont - Pickering
Gauge: Standard - there are few minor roads on this part of the moor, so the railway could be useful
Folding bikes: tick No restrictions   Tandems and tricycles:  Unknown

All trains have a guard's van, but space varies, so tandems, tricycles or cycling groups are advised to book in advance. Individual cyclists can usually turn up and travel, subject to space being available. The cycle carriage fee is £2 per day, covering any amount of travel.

Tel: 01751 473799   

Hmm, should we make a proper booking then?  When I emailed to enquire about me, I did ask if I should make a reservation, but the responce was a bit cut and paste and just told me the price, and that space was subject to availability... If we have to reserve, does that mean paying up front?  I don't mind, but we'd all have to do it individually I guess. Or could one person just ring them and give them a likely number of people?  (yes, I know, I'm fretting again). Or if anyone was happening to pop by, anyway, <innocent whistle> they could make a reservation then, if we've got a good idea of numbers.

Re: getting back to York. The 11am from Whitby gets to Pickering at 12.40.  Say leaving Pickering at 1 to allow for faffing.  The route that CL found on Bikely is 49 km, 30 miles - probably 3 hours worth of riding, depending on headwinds (grrrrr).  So I would say back in York 4ish at the earliest, but allowing for tiredness and stops, maybe more like 5?  Does that seem right to folk?

Of course, if anyone is faster, and needs to get back promptly, they are welcome to leave me behind.  Similarly, if there is any problem with space, those with relaxed timetables (me, I guess) could take a later train, it just means some dark on the way home.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #242 on: 15 October, 2010, 02:00:10 pm »

Re: getting back to York. The 11am from Whitby gets to Pickering at 12.40.  Say leaving Pickering at 1 to allow for faffing.  The route that CL found on Bikely is 49 km, 30 miles - probably 3 hours worth of riding, depending on headwinds (grrrrr).  So I would say back in York 4ish at the earliest, but allowing for tiredness and stops, maybe more like 5?  Does that seem right to folk

It fits in with my thinking.I shall book onto the 1825 York-Derby train to allow time for scoffing between arriving back in York & train departure

« Reply #243 on: 15 October, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »
Hmm, should we make a proper booking then?

Look, I know no-one believes me, but I have travelled on the NYMR many times and every time there has been a huge guard's van filling most of a carriage. I can't put hand on heart and swear they don't have a small (ie, the normal size on recent slamdoor trains, which itself would take a fair few bikes) one somewhere, but I've never seen it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #244 on: 15 October, 2010, 03:50:43 pm »
The WHR have a dedicated bike wagon.  Rower40 (and his railway-fu is strong) phoned in advance to make sure they would fit it to the train we were planning to use, which they promised they would.  But they didn't.  Where bikes and trains are concerned, anything can and frequently will go wrong.

« Reply #245 on: 15 October, 2010, 03:59:58 pm »
The WHR have a dedicated bike wagon.  Rower40 (and his railway-fu is strong) phoned in advance to make sure they would fit it to the train we were planning to use, which they promised they would.  But they didn't.  Where bikes and trains are concerned, anything can and frequently will go wrong.

But the WHR is narrow gauge with short wagons. That's a totally different propostion.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #246 on: 15 October, 2010, 04:29:20 pm »
I don't think Murphy cares about the gauge of the railway...

« Reply #247 on: 16 October, 2010, 12:13:28 pm »
What time are people planning on meeting up in York on the Friday night, & whereabouts ? 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #248 on: 16 October, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »
What time are people planning on meeting up in York on the Friday night, & whereabouts ? 

Train station, midnight, usual score.  Outside the Cornish pasty shop seems to be the defacto meeting place :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #249 on: 16 October, 2010, 01:05:29 pm »
I'll be on the train arriving at 22:35 , dammit, I may have to kill time in one of those pub places.... ;)