Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75308 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #250 on: 16 October, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »
What time are people planning on meeting up in York on the Friday night, & whereabouts ? 

CrinklyLion's house, sometime on Friday. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #251 on: 16 October, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »
What time are people planning on meeting up in York on the Friday night, & whereabouts ? 

You're going to carbo-load on her finest CAKE aren't you Tim, leave some for the rest of us!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #252 on: 16 October, 2010, 02:16:54 pm »

This is my plan, also.  ;D

« Reply #253 on: 16 October, 2010, 02:48:39 pm »
My arrival time in York is currently a bit undetermined, I've got no idea how busy the M25 is going to be on a Friday (fairly busy is my current thinking).  I'm going to have to drive from Croydon haf way around the M25, up the M1, the A1(M) and then off the A64 towards York.

Google Maps reckons 4 hours 20 minutes, which I don't believe for a minute.  Theoretically that would mean I could leave Croydon at 7-30 and still get to York on time, but somehow I think that would be pushing my luck!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #254 on: 16 October, 2010, 03:23:54 pm »
Current plan is to arrive York at 2145,adjourn to Pizza Express for a blunge-up till they close at 2300 & then wander to the station to digest 'till the off at midnight.

« Reply #255 on: 16 October, 2010, 03:32:56 pm »

This is my plan, also.  ;D
Add another one to the plan ..........  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #256 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:56:12 am »
My arrival time in York is currently a bit undetermined, I've got no idea how busy the M25 is going to be on a Friday (fairly busy is my current thinking).  I'm going to have to drive from Croydon haf way around the M25, up the M1, the A1(M) and then off the A64 towards York.

Google Maps reckons 4 hours 20 minutes, which I don't believe for a minute.  Theoretically that would mean I could leave Croydon at 7-30 and still get to York on time, but somehow I think that would be pushing my luck!

M25 will be busy, J23A of the M1 will be busy after 2PM also.  Best way to get South to North on a Friday is:
M40
M42 (bit of a PITA around the NEC, but the only bad bit on this route) to:
J9 (Tamworth Services)
A5
A38 North
M1
M1/A1 link (don't try the M18, as J2 becomes a pig after a certain time on a Friday)
A64.....

Trust me, I have done this journey (obv not to CL's house) far too many times over the last 5 years.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #257 on: 17 October, 2010, 10:01:26 am »
And the A64 will take you straight towards Grimston Bar roundabout, where you meet that A1079 (Hull Road).  Head into York, past B&Q which is on your right, and you're just a few mins from our front door!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #258 on: 17 October, 2010, 03:31:11 pm »

M25 will be busy, J23A of the M1 will be busy after 2PM also.  Best way to get South to North on a Friday is:
M40
M42 (bit of a PITA around the NEC, but the only bad bit on this route) to:
J9 (Tamworth Services)
A5
A38 North
M1
M1/A1 link (don't try the M18, as J2 becomes a pig after a certain time on a Friday)
A64.....

Trust me, I have done this journey (obv not to CL's house) far too many times over the last 5 years.....
I used to travel from Near Dartford to Sheffield quite frequently and I found that M25(anticlockwise) M11, A14, A1 was the quickest route north on a Friday for me (Obviously add in A64 for York)

The A1 basically avoids towns and cities all the way up so is a lot quieter than the M1. They have also removed just about all the annoying roundabouts since I used to do that run.

This route does involve the Dartford Tunnel but avoids the Heathrow section of the M25, and is about 10 miles further than your original route but is another option
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #259 on: 17 October, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »
If I'm running around London from Northampton for the FNRttC I've found that the A14- M11 then around via Dartford is alot quicker than the M1 then around via Gatwick.
It may be further but there is a lot fewer holdups going that way.

An other option is to cut across M40-A43-M1

I'll prob go north from Northamptom A14-M1, I'll aim on ~4 hours as I dont travel fast (sub 60) on motorways.

« Reply #260 on: 17 October, 2010, 08:10:42 pm »
Hmm, should we make a proper booking then?

Look, I know no-one believes me, but I have travelled on the NYMR many times and every time there has been a huge guard's van filling most of a carriage. I can't put hand on heart and swear they don't have a small (ie, the normal size on recent slamdoor trains, which itself would take a fair few bikes) one somewhere, but I've never seen it.

I do believe you, but the fretting genes are strong in my maternal line, I just can't help it. 11 years in York, and hanging out with a lot of very laid back people, including some downright hippies, has mellowed me a bit, but it still surfaces sometimes... ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #261 on: 17 October, 2010, 10:27:29 pm »
Hmm, should we make a proper booking then?

Look, I know no-one believes me, but I have travelled on the NYMR many times and every time there has been a huge guard's van filling most of a carriage. I can't put hand on heart and swear they don't have a small (ie, the normal size on recent slamdoor trains, which itself would take a fair few bikes) one somewhere, but I've never seen it.

I do believe you, but the fretting genes are strong in my maternal line, I just can't help it. 11 years in York, and hanging out with a lot of very laid back people, including some downright hippies, has mellowed me a bit, but it still surfaces sometimes... ;)

I'm sure it would be fine, but it may be polite to inform them that we are intending to put lots of bikes on that service.

I'm not helping am I ;D

If anyone does contact them, then I would suggest phoning rather than email. I know a couple people who volunteer on preserved lines and they aren't exactly tech-savvy

« Reply #262 on: 18 October, 2010, 12:02:15 am »
I'm sure it would be fine, but it may be polite to inform them that we are intending to put lots of bikes on that service.

I'm not helping am I ;D

If anyone does contact them, then I would suggest phoning rather than email. I know a couple people who volunteer on preserved lines and they aren't exactly tech-savvy

I make it two Trice Q's, a bent or two and ten or so upwrongs.

Any advance on that ??

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #263 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:04:02 am »
I won't be on the train, as I will be heading off to Helmsley to meet the missus and TLD.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #264 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:27:04 am »
I think we need those who are intending to use the steam train to return to make themselves known, since I'm sure there may be others with alternative routes home.

I'm certainly intending to use the steam train.

« Reply #265 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:09:26 am »
Me as well.  Choo choo !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #266 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:44:59 am »
I too want a ride onna steam train

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #267 on: 18 October, 2010, 12:28:16 pm »
Steam for me!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #268 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:44:05 pm »
Steam for me, if my legs haven't fallen off in which case I may chicken out and catch a train to boro and then south.

And if the weather's completely grue I still reserve the right to hand over cake at the station and run away home to bed at midnight on the Friday!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #269 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:51:25 pm »
Nobody mentioned grues... those things are more deadly than wowbadgers!  Am I going to have to fit even more frikkin' lasers?  :)

« Reply #270 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:52:51 pm »
Attendance

Aidan
andrewc
Arch
CrinklyLion
CrinklyLion's Friend
Deano
jogler
Kim
Luke
mcshroom
MrCharly (now with added unlikelyness)
SlowCoach
Tiermat
Tigerbiten
TimO
tom_e
Uncle Phil

Possibles are in grey.

People attending : 11 to 16
People returning via steam train : 6 to 10

I've had a quick read through the thread, and I think that's the current status, although anyone who thinks their entry above is wrong, should tell me!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #271 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »
I believe that Tigerbiten is going on the choo choo too.  Since he's prob leaving his car at ours as well :)

Mcshroom, did you get sorted with parking?

Oh - and 'Slow'coach is a possibly at the moment pending confirmation of availability, I do believe.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #272 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:54:20 pm »
Attendance

Aidan
andrewc
Arch
CrinklyLion
CrinklyLion's Friend
Deano
jogler
Kim
Luke
mcshroom
MrCharly (unlikely)
SlowCoach
Tiermat aka The Joker
Tigerbiten
TimO

Possibles are in grey.

People attending : 12 to 15
People returning via steam train : 7 to 8

I've had a quick read through the thread, and I think that's the current status, although anyone who thinks their entry above is wrong, should tell me!

I'm steaming too ;D

« Reply #273 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:53:16 pm »
I'm defo getting the choo choo back to Pickering.

When I lived in Coventry as a kid, I remember there where choo choo on the mainline at the end of the garden.
Dates me a bit ..........  :P

« Reply #274 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:32:14 pm »
Well, I'm getting the 1100 from Whitby to Newton Dale Halt, hope to see some of you there. I shall not spend the whole trip in the guard's van saying "I told you so." :-)