Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75306 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #275 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:39:45 pm »
Tickets now booked.

Arriving in York at 22:35 on Friday and leaving at 19:40* on Saturday.  Total cost £25.50

I gave the chap in the booking office the exact times I'd looked up and he quoted me over £40.... >:(    when I pointed out the discrepancy he just gave me the cheaper tickets with no explanation.

*If I get the earlier train it's £20 more, so I'll find somewhere to rest and have dinner.

Wondering if I can bodge an LED illuminated turnip lantern onto the bike  :)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #276 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »
I'm wondering about that to.

I also thinking luminous paint for my spare hand ............  :demon:

« Reply #277 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »
I'm wondering about that to.

Heyyyyy.....Zaphod........ :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #279 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:27:11 pm »

Heyyyyy.....Zaphod........ :D

I was thinking Kryten...

« Reply #280 on: 18 October, 2010, 08:59:18 pm »
Attendance

Aidan
andrewc
Arch
CrinklyLion
CrinklyLion's Friend
Deano
jogler
Kim
Luke
mcshroom
MrCharly (unlikely)
SlowCoach
Tiermat aka The Joker
Tigerbiten
TimO

Possibles are in grey.

People attending : 12 to 15
People returning via steam train : 8 to 9

I've had a quick read through the thread, and I think that's the current status, although anyone who thinks their entry above is wrong, should tell me!

What cute little trains!  Yes, I'm planning to steam...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #281 on: 19 October, 2010, 11:41:10 am »
Had a look at the weather (ok metcheck is useless this far out but anyway).

Looks like it will be dry, but cold (around freezing!) and with a NW wind.

Wrap up warm  :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #282 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:27:49 pm »
I'm choo chooing it to Pickering and riding home from there. If only to go on the train :thumbsup:.

Thats if I can get to the ride. My boss dropped into the conversation this morning that we might be having a planning meeting that Friday in Coventry.  :(  Knowing how these things go I have no idea if I will get back in time to get to York in any fit state :(

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #283 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:46:57 pm »
*If I get the earlier train it's £20 more, so I'll find somewhere to rest and have dinner.

There's a general congregation round ours-ish, although I suspect that we will be pushing the limits of out bike-parking-in-the-living-room and may have to put some of them in (and this is a bit shocking) the back yard. 

I can provide plenty of coffee and tea, and probably a cake or two.  Fairly limited seating (i.e. there's only room on the sette for 3 - although I guess if Kim parks the streetmachine inside that's one more seat!), and you have to be prepared to tolerate fussmuppet cats and over-excited cubs.

Of course, this means you all have to wait for me on the way back as well as on the way there....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #284 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:52:44 pm »
I get the impression that, even without the fairing, Tigerbiten's trike is about the size of CrinklyLion's house.  This could be interesting...   ;)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #285 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:59:47 pm »
I'm working in the assumption that, since Tigerbiten is driving to York and (presumably) parking up near ours, the trike will get parked up back in his vehicle.  I've looked at our front door, and remain deeply unconvinced that a 3 wheeler will get through it!

We're back down to 4 bikes in the house for the moment as my sister's has gone to the bike rescue for a scrub up and, unless I accidentally forget to give it to her, I'll drop it by her new place on Friday.  And we could stash three in reasonable-ish security in the bike bunker.

Of course, I could just tidy up some of the teetering piles of crap in the house to make some more space.  Not very likely though.....

« Reply #286 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:55:44 pm »
Attendance

Aidan
andrewc
Arch
CrinklyLion
CrinklyLion's Friend
Deano
jogler
Kim
Luke
mcshroom
MrCharly (unlikely)
SlowCoach
Tiermat
Tigerbiten
TimO

Possibles are in grey.

People attending : 12 to 15
People returning via steam train : 9 to 10

I've had a quick read through the thread, and I think that's the current status, although anyone who thinks their entry above is wrong, should tell me!

Nice work, Tim.  I've copied it into the OP too.  They are indeed very cute trains ;D

I rode back to Darlington from Newcastle last night (arriving home at 1.30 am), in a short-sleeved top and arm-warmers, no gloves.  I doubt I'd get away with that tonight - it's gotten a lot colder.

« Reply #287 on: 19 October, 2010, 10:09:59 pm »
I'm looking a more likely prospect for this ride, although I hardly dare mention it in the house.  Wife was very very keen on getting away, children have other ideas. She's very put out.

We will be occupied - at least one visitor - so can't throw the house open to StrangersInLycratm, but I can offer secure drop off space for bikes - we have a lockable yard and a shed with a normal-door-width entry. Oh, and we are round the corner from the station.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #289 on: 19 October, 2010, 11:38:47 pm »
I'm choo chooing it to Pickering and riding home from there. If only to go on the train :thumbsup:.

Thats if I can get to the ride. My boss dropped into the conversation this morning that we might be having a planning meeting that Friday in Coventry.  :(  Knowing how these things go I have no idea if I will get back in time to get to York in any fit state :(

Remind me, is home Driffield?  I'll be riding from Pickering to Driffield at about 1pm or thereabouts, fancy giving me the guided tour?

« Reply #290 on: 19 October, 2010, 11:41:35 pm »

Thats if I can get to the ride. My boss dropped into the conversation this morning that we might be having a planning meeting that Friday in Coventry.  :(  Knowing how these things go I have no idea if I will get back in time to get to York in any fit state :(

Remind me, is home Driffield?  I'll be riding from Pickering to Driffield at about 1pm or thereabouts, fancy giving me the guided tour?

So, are yuo coming along to this caper?

« Reply #291 on: 20 October, 2010, 06:59:04 am »

Remind me, is home Driffield?  I'll be riding from Pickering to Driffield at about 1pm or thereabouts, fancy giving me the guided tour?

certainly will , im pulling out all of the stops to persuade my boss he doesnt want to meet in coventry that friday. Last time we had a meeting like this it started at 9.00am ( thats a 5.00am get up for me) and i got home after 8.00 pm!  if same happens theres no way i can do that and this ride really. 

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #292 on: 20 October, 2010, 11:31:43 am »

Thats if I can get to the ride. My boss dropped into the conversation this morning that we might be having a planning meeting that Friday in Coventry.  :(  Knowing how these things go I have no idea if I will get back in time to get to York in any fit state :(

Remind me, is home Driffield?  I'll be riding from Pickering to Driffield at about 1pm or thereabouts, fancy giving me the guided tour?

So, are yuo coming along to this caper?

Afraid I wasn't planning on it, old chap.  I was down to do a DIY this Saturday, but may postpone it to next Sat if the forecast heavy rain materialises.

« Reply #293 on: 20 October, 2010, 11:35:18 am »
Yes I did mean you, bunbury.

Hope you can make it, Aidan :-\

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #294 on: 20 October, 2010, 11:44:28 am »
I know you meant me, did I give some other impression? 

« Reply #295 on: 20 October, 2010, 11:50:56 am »
No - but both you and Aidan answered my question!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #296 on: 20 October, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »
There is now a possibility that I will not be able to attend.When I know for sure I will post again.

« Reply #297 on: 20 October, 2010, 05:29:24 pm »
That's a pity, jogler.  There'll hopefully be another series next year, though.

(even if they won't be as much fun as this one).

« Reply #298 on: 20 October, 2010, 05:33:54 pm »
I'm working in the assumption that, since Tigerbiten is driving to York and (presumably) parking up near ours, the trike will get parked up back in his vehicle.  I've looked at our front door, and remain deeply unconvinced that a 3 wheeler will get through it!

I reckon mine might, it's a very narrow track - although it might not get round the bend into the front room, based on my single memory of seeing into your house....  That would make another seat, although it would be at the expense of a fair bit of floor space, what with the boom and wheels and suchlike....

I would love to offer similar gathering space and refreshements, but I'm in a single room two floors up, with limited space to lock bikes outside. (annoyingly, there used to be a lovely little bike shed opposite, sheffield hoops with a tiled roof, and watchable from my window, but the Office of the Dean and Chapter, who owned it, tore it down to create a couple of car parking spaces..... :-[)

I do sometimes dream of a lottery win, just so I could buy a house, just so I could open it to random cyclists whenever I wanted to...

Fingers crossed for Jogler's continued presence.

« Reply #299 on: 20 October, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »
That's a pity, jogler.  There'll hopefully be another series next year, though.

(even if they won't be as much fun as this one).

It would be brilliant to keep this up as something semi regular. I see on the FNRttC blog that there may be a re-run of York-Cleethorpes, date to be arranged), but we could always do it anyway. And there must be other destinations we could manage. Hornsea, maybe?

Can you tell, I'm hooked?