Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75308 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #300 on: 20 October, 2010, 05:54:07 pm »
Spurn Point would be bleak good. 

We don't have to ride to the coast every time, either. 

« Reply #301 on: 20 October, 2010, 05:57:49 pm »
Something has just occured to me!

from Weds 27th to Sat 30th Oct, is the Illuminating York festival.

Illuminating York Festival Website, City of York Council, Visit York, York Events, Illuminating York

Various sites around York illuminated artistically. 7-10pm

Anyone arriving in York before 10pm on the Friday might find a spin round the city worthwhile.  I gather that the Minster will be a central feature this year again - it's an amazing canvas for stuff like this.

A couple of years back, they created a 'coloured in' projection of the West Front and matched it to the stone, so that the figures wore coloured clothes, and leafy tracery was green and so on. It was incredible.

Last year there was a sort of real time animation in the Musuem gardens - a number of artists drew shapes and figures and little stories on computer tablets, and the results were projected live onto the walls of the Museum Gardens. It was magical.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #302 on: 20 October, 2010, 07:00:46 pm »
I'm working in the assumption that, since Tigerbiten is driving to York and (presumably) parking up near ours, the trike will get parked up back in his vehicle.  I've looked at our front door, and remain deeply unconvinced that a 3 wheeler will get through it!
Thats the plan ..........  ;D

I may need to grab a couple of hour sleep before driving upto Hexham on the saturday evening.
But that depends on what time we get back to York and how knackered I am.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #303 on: 20 October, 2010, 07:26:40 pm »
Well, up until bedtime (about 7) there'll be the boys' room available for crashing out in (or you can play lego/k'nex if you prefer) so a fair to middling probability of a chance for a couple of hours kip there after we get back to York. 

I though I might lay in supplies of bacon/sausages/halloumi to make butties for tea for people, once we get back to York and before everyone heads off round the country.  I'll probably have a cake or left in the freezer, and we also have a load of takeaways within shouting distance, many of which also deliver :)

Tigerbiten, I'll PM you address and phone no so you know where to head for once you get to York.  If there's anybody else planning on killing time round ours on Friday evening or Saturday once we get back, drop me a PM and I'll send similar.  I'll be coming back from Ingleby Arncliffe with the cub on the Friday (pack up tent, brekkie with my Aunt, ride to Northallerton then catch a train to York) so should be back  :)by lunchtime/early afternoon.  Planning to snooze a bit in the afternoon, so let me know an ETA if you're heading here!

Actually, should we make sure that everyone has a mob no or two of other people going in case of last minute no-shows and/or getting lost?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #304 on: 20 October, 2010, 07:29:22 pm »
Actually, should we make sure that everyone has a mob no or two of other people going in case of last minute no-shows and/or getting lost?

This, copies of the route and a reasonable certainty that nobody's planning to form a high-speed recumbent splinter group are all excellent ideas that I heartily endorse.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #305 on: 20 October, 2010, 07:33:25 pm »
Oh gods - three 'bents, night ride and hills (allegedly, I still maintain that they're a figment of your imagination, or an optical illusion - just need to convince my legs of this).  Kim, are you getting a sense of déja vue?  Watch out for Wowbadgers!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #306 on: 20 October, 2010, 07:38:12 pm »
Badgers, like sharks and diesel, are something I am now extra vigilant about.

« Reply #307 on: 20 October, 2010, 08:29:52 pm »

This, copies of the route and a reasonable certainty that nobody's planning to form a high-speed recumbent splinter group are all excellent ideas that I heartily endorse.

While I may be associated with the word recumbent, the phrase 'high speed' rarely applies...

I'm happy to PM my mobile number round to people. 

CrinklyLion

« Reply #308 on: 20 October, 2010, 08:32:06 pm »
I dunno... to quote Tiermat on most of the downhills on the way to Scab, "Look out!  The armchair's escaping!"

« Reply #309 on: 20 October, 2010, 08:34:25 pm »
I dunno... to quote Tiermat on most of the downhills on the way to Scab, "Look out!  The armchair's escaping!"

Ah, yes. Downhill.

I make up for it (or whatever the opposite of that is), on the ups...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #310 on: 20 October, 2010, 08:45:43 pm »
Ah, yes. Downhill.

Yeah, that's pretty much my recumbenteering style too.  50 tonnes of not-especially-aerodynamic German overengineering is offically A Bit Quick on the downs, merely reasonable on the flat and the less said about the ups the better...

Crashes well though  ::-)

« Reply #311 on: 20 October, 2010, 08:51:30 pm »
Ah, yes. Downhill.

Yeah, that's pretty much my recumbenteering style too.  50 tonnes of not-especially-aerodynamic German overengineering is offically A Bit Quick on the downs, merely reasonable on the flat and the less said about the ups the better...

Crashes well though  ::-)

I think that's the recumbent deal (not the crashes bit I hope!).  On holiday with 7 mates all on trikes, we keep pace fairly well - allowing for the unnaturally nuclear legs of a couple of the party.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #312 on: 20 October, 2010, 08:53:44 pm »
Yeahbut, recumbents also come in 'fast'.  I've failed to keep up with them.

« Reply #313 on: 20 October, 2010, 08:58:24 pm »
I'll PM my number round all the participants later in the week.  Not to worry - I've done this before, and I've yet to lose a rider.

As for the route - we follow the A169 all the way from Pickering to Whitby.  You can also pick up the A169 in Malton, so if in doubt, follow the signs for Malton, then Pickering, then Whitby.  I defy anyone to get themselves lost!

« Reply #314 on: 20 October, 2010, 09:01:17 pm »
I defy anyone to get themselves lost!

Now - is that a challenge you've set me... ?

Trying to sort things at work to come - I should know by tomorrow

« Reply #315 on: 20 October, 2010, 09:02:06 pm »
I defy anyone to get themselves lost!

Now - is that a challenge you've set me... ?

Trying to sort things at work to come - I should know by tomorrow

There's always one ;D

Hope you can make it!

« Reply #316 on: 20 October, 2010, 09:02:50 pm »
I've just splashed out on the OS map for Whitby....

« Reply #317 on: 20 October, 2010, 09:03:59 pm »
My speed is steady-ish, ~12-13mph rolling average without the trailer.

I would like to do silly fast, but I need too many wheels to do that.
If I could workout how to work both front and back brakes with one hand safely, I may give fast two wheel bents a go.

« Reply #318 on: 20 October, 2010, 09:12:36 pm »
My speed is steady-ish, ~12-13mph rolling average without the trailer.

I would like to do silly fast, but I need too many wheels to do that.
If I could workout how to work both front and back brakes with one hand safely, I may give fast two wheel bents a go.

You know there are single levers designed to pull two cables? For example:

Savage Brake Lever Alloy Double Cable

Dimension Double Barrel Left Brake Lever Synchronized: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

I don't know how suitable they are as an 'only one lever' system - they seem to be designed for that, but I had in mind that they were a tandem thing...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #319 on: 20 October, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »
Right just got my travel plans sorted out(ish)

I'm going to be visiting family over the weekend so I'll be setting off from Rotherham on Friday. As always with visiting relatives I will now not be setting off until about 10pm so I'll have to park up somewhere (plan at the moment on a road outside an office complex just off the A59 - Holgate Park?) and shoot round to the station to meet everyone.

After getting on a bike in Pickering I have no further plans about the return leg  ;D

So barring mechanicals I'll see you Friday week  :thumbsup:

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #320 on: 21 October, 2010, 12:47:43 am »
I have started cake preparation (for this and Sunday's silliness) since the fruit shop yesterday had a gadzillion bashed bananas for very little money so I now have a not_small quantity of chocolate and banannaananananna cake (with chocolate ganache filling) in the freezer.  And two different experimental chocolate fridge cake recipes, which are probably going to work with Dearly_Beloved for QA porpoises.  I've got all the stuff for making a plenty of St Clements Cake tomorrow.  Coffee cake will have to wait til Monday, I reckon, since I've run out of CCCBs at the moment and won't get to town until Fri at the end of the day at the earliest.

Baking is very therapeutic sometimes :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #321 on: 21 October, 2010, 07:32:44 am »
I'm working in the assumption that, since Tigerbiten is driving to York and (presumably) parking up near ours, the trike will get parked up back in his vehicle.  I've looked at our front door, and remain deeply unconvinced that a 3 wheeler will get through it!
Thats the plan ..........  ;D

I may need to grab a couple of hour sleep before driving upto Hexham on the saturday evening.
But that depends on what time we get back to York and how knackered I am.

If CL's house is too busy there is a spare room at ours you are welcome to use (we are in Northallerton)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #322 on: 21 October, 2010, 09:47:16 am »
I have had a thought about the brew up, as we are going along the A169, doesn't that go straight past the campsite @ Pickering? If so wouldn't it be worth seeing if we could stash the tea making equipment there, or is that too far into the ride for a brew?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #323 on: 21 October, 2010, 10:27:31 am »
Can I squeeze in for this one too?

We're on holiday in Danby for the week beforehand, so I was thinking of heading down to York in the Friday evening to join you for the trip up to Whitby.  So no need for the steam train, unfortunately :-\ (I'll either wait for family or potter back to Danby later)

Reading back through, departure from the train station at midnight, but early arrivals are accumulating at CLs somewhere??

« Reply #324 on: 21 October, 2010, 10:27:55 am »
And can anybody recommend a takeaway for a refuel on the way into York (from Strensall direction), ideally before I reach the drunks going WTF at my bike in the centre...