Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75306 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #350 on: 22 October, 2010, 12:59:31 pm »
OK - I've booked my tickets and I'm coming. Work will have to manage without me - I've decided I have a prior engagement... (this).

I will be leaving you at Whitby though and going home by train direct from there - missing the steam train bit out unfortunately. As you can't make bike reservations on the Whitby to Middlesborough and Middlesborough to Darlington trains I'm bringing some bin liners and a pink ribbon to convert my bike into a present if necessary  ;D

« Reply #351 on: 22 October, 2010, 01:17:10 pm »
You'll be OK on the trains to Middlesbrough and Darlo - no reservations necessary.  I've only once been turned away from the Middlesbrough-Darlo train with my bike, and TBF that was 5pm onna Friday. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #352 on: 22 October, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »
Playing around with BikeHike I think you could do a fairly decent ride from Liverpool* out to the Welsh coast at Conwy or Llandundo.  Easy train back to Liverpool via Chester.

Those trains are somewhat lacking in room for bicycles, though, as we discovered on the Electric Mountain Ride.  There's a cubbyhole that has enough room for a lightly-loaded Streetmachine (so maybe enough room for a couple of road bikes and a Brompton).  Charlotte ended up strapping the Red Baron in the corridor, which worked fairly well, but only because it was low and narrow, and the train staff were in a good mood - I don't think you'd get away with doing that with a more conventionally-shaped bike.

Bikes, trains and Wales are rarely a good combination, it seems.

« Reply #353 on: 22 October, 2010, 02:07:50 pm »
Playing around with BikeHike I think you could do a fairly decent ride from Liverpool* out to the Welsh coast at Conwy or Llandundo.  Easy train back to Liverpool via Chester.

Those trains are somewhat lacking in room for bicycles, though, as we discovered on the Electric Mountain Ride.  There's a cubbyhole that has enough room for a lightly-loaded Streetmachine (so maybe enough room for a couple of road bikes and a Brompton).  Charlotte ended up strapping the Red Baron in the corridor, which worked fairly well, but only because it was low and narrow, and the train staff were in a good mood - I don't think you'd get away with doing that with a more conventionally-shaped bike.

Bikes, trains and Wales are rarely a good combination, it seems.

I've used the train from both Bangor and Conwy in the past with no problems, can't remember there being any issue with bikes, or any special provision for them. Last time was a year ago,  I may do it tomorrow if the weathers decent (and if I don't go to the House of Evil Drink tonight.....) 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #354 on: 22 October, 2010, 03:18:58 pm »
A couple of bikes should be easily doable.  An organised ride's worth much less so.  Of course, it's simpler when the awkward trains are on the way back from the ride, as everybody isn't trying to use the same one.

« Reply #355 on: 23 October, 2010, 06:21:13 pm »
Hoorah, my Whitby map has arrived!

<peruses map>

Hmm, a fair bit of pink squiggley stuff, and...

SWEET JESUS! A DOUBLE ARROW!

Oh thank god, it's downhill....

Also, either Whitby has a lot of lighthouses, or a salt-and-pepper-set museum.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #356 on: 24 October, 2010, 08:58:14 pm »
Well, I did say the only steep hill is down.

Should be fun at 5 am, in the dark.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #357 on: 24 October, 2010, 09:06:25 pm »
Hills? What hills? No, no hills to see  here - figment of your imagination. Or an optical illusion. Or something.

(La la la, fingers in ears, nope can't  hear you....)

« Reply #358 on: 24 October, 2010, 09:33:41 pm »
A double arrow hill is going to be interesting going down in the dark.  Make sure your brakes are working people. :-\

I've put the car battery on charge.  It probably had enough omph in it to start the car, but it's better to make sure that there's plenty of energy in it.  I'll have to have a bit of a bimble around to make sure that it's all still working OK, and I'll need some petrol.  A big heavy shop can be done at the same time, maybe I'll visit one of the supermarkets a bit further away for a change!

I've still not found my large camping cooking pot.  Bugger, I know it's around here somewhere. ???
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #359 on: 24 October, 2010, 09:36:30 pm »
Okay, it's sweepstake time:  Tim's car or my knee?

« Reply #360 on: 24 October, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »
Tim, I have battery booster and charger if you have probs with car on Sat.

Although I think I prefer Kim's knee to your car. Which knee? Does it have scars?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #361 on: 24 October, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »
Which knee?

Right one.

Does it have scars?

Sort of.  Not very good ones.

« Reply #362 on: 24 October, 2010, 10:16:29 pm »
The car shouldn't be a problem, I just haven't used it much recently.  It was serviced only a couple of months back, so once I've charged the battery fully, it should be totally OK.  The drive up to York should certainly replace everything taken out by starting it!

If all else fails I have full AA cover anyway, so I can always drag them out to get me wherever I'm going. :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #363 on: 25 October, 2010, 09:03:01 am »
just checked XCwether and forecast for Friday is mild (not dropping below 10C), no rain and wind from the south (between 12 and 18mph), so should be a good ride....

Must order ticket for NA to YRK
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #364 on: 25 October, 2010, 01:24:17 pm »
just checked XCwether and forecast for Friday is mild (not dropping below 10C), no rain and wind from the south (between 12 and 18mph), so should be a good ride....

If that forecast is correct I'll look out for the dancing elephants and the flying pigs...  ;)

I'm on the same train down as the Scarborough ride - gets into York 10:57? so I may see you on the train. This time I'll try not to send my bike first class...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #365 on: 25 October, 2010, 01:29:49 pm »
You'll be glad to know that Valencia has been to her second home today for a service, and has had new brake pads fitted.

tiermat

« Reply #366 on: 25 October, 2010, 02:12:42 pm »

If that forecast is correct I'll look out for the dancing elephants and the flying pigs...  ;)

I'm on the same train down as the Scarborough ride - gets into York 10:57? so I may see you on the train. This time I'll try not to send my bike first class...

Yup, same as last time, if the train is the same way round the bike spaces, and thus me, will be near the front again.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #367 on: 25 October, 2010, 03:58:47 pm »
Booked now, so no getting out of it (not without wasting £7!)

« Reply #368 on: 25 October, 2010, 05:47:26 pm »
If all else fails I have full AA cover anyway, so I can always drag them out to get me wherever I'm going. :)

Could you ring them and ask them to have some tea ready at a suitable point on the ride?  Those big recovery trucks must have a power point for a travel kettle, and we could take turns to sit in the cab in threes and fours, with the heater on.... ;)

That forecast sounds suspiciously ideal.  If the wind could drop, or veer round completely for the afternoon ride back, that would be even better...

« Reply #369 on: 25 October, 2010, 06:08:31 pm »
Just done a 50 mile training run today to test the legs after the FNRttC to Whitstable as it was a purfect day to go out.
Sunny and just cold enough so I didn't overheat when working hard, very light wind.
Everything was fine bar one punture .........  :(
But better in the light when its dry, than in the dark and wet.

Met Office forcast is ..........
Early rain will clear on Wednesday, followed by sunshine and showers; then the week will end on an unsettled note with further rain at times, but it should be mild.
Wind from the south ~20mph.
So it may be wet and windy .........  :'(

See you all in York ........... :D

« Reply #370 on: 25 October, 2010, 06:23:21 pm »
Can we have a check on who's bringing what? If I fit the touring bags, I can carry stove, meths, milk, etc (or just take on some of the inevitable cake...)

If not required to do any of this, I can leave the touring bags off, but I don't mind bringing them if it helps - in fact I may do so anyway to carry more layers.

I was going to buy some overshoes, but didn't get round to it, and a sudden financial uncertainty from last week means I'm loathe to spend more just now. I may wear some long socks, and perhaps improvise some wooly overshoes from some cheap socks that I can cut holes in for the cleats.  I seem to remember that once we were in the hilly stuff last time, my feet were perfectly warm.

« Reply #371 on: 25 October, 2010, 06:28:46 pm »
A double arrow hill is going to be interesting going down in the dark.  Make sure your brakes are working people.

That's Blue Bank. I've walked a tandem down it after a drum brake failure.

However, while there's not even a single arrow, the hairpin at Saltergate Bank offers equal potential for comedy when riding in the dark. Watch out for that one...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #372 on: 25 October, 2010, 06:43:13 pm »
While I have and intend to bring stovey titanium goodness, I suggest that nobody relies on me specifically for anything, on the basis that I'm going to have to make a last-minute decision as to whether my knee is up to doing the ride.

Regarding overshoes, I'm of the opinion that they are, for the most part, rubbish.  Your shoes still get wet eventually (though much less so on a recumbent).  Their main benefit is windproofing, and I dare say that you could improvise a reasonable functional equivalent using plastic bags (black ones, obviously, in fitting with the theme of the ride) and rubber bands.  Those overshoes you get at swimming pools might be a good bet, if you're in a position to swipe a couple between now and then.

« Reply #373 on: 25 October, 2010, 07:30:41 pm »
I'm intending to bring a largish saucepan (how large I'll post when I find it!), a gas stove and enough gas for several saucepans of water.  A wind shield for the stove, and spare matches in case the piezo lighter fails.  I'll have some additional water, but don't rely on it, I'll expect most people who want tea and/or coffee to supply some water as well.  Random instant coffee and tea bags (if you're fussy, then again, bring your own!), some sugar and a pint of milk (bought somewhere in the vicinity of Chez CrinklyLion).  I'll have my own random munchies, which I'll need to keep my blood sugar level at a sane level all night, and I suspect I'll be carrying some of however many cakes CrinklyLion cooks before that night!  I'll carry a folding mug, but if you want something to drink out of, bring your own mug, or be prepared to wait for someone else's to become available!

I'll carry my normal group ride maintenance junk, which is a couple of multi-tools, some adjustable spanners, a few common sized allen keys, a spokey, some spare cable inners, a set of V-brake blocks, three inner tubes (700C only, 23-35ish sized), possibly a spare folding tyre if I've got the room (again 700Cx25 which suits a lot of wheels), some tyre boots, a puncture repair kit, a decent pump (capable of >100psi), three CO2 cartridges, and a matching inflater.  They'll probably be a few other random bits in there as well, like assorted M5 nuts, bolts and washers, and a spare set of SPD cleats.  Probably also a variety of cable ties, and some insulation tape, both of which are handy "bodge-it" equipment!  I need to remember to dig out a lightweight cone spanner, and Shimano Freehub lockring tool.  It would be nice if I had a FiberFix Kevlar emergency replacement spoke, but the only place you seem to be able to get those is the states, so the postage is going to be annoying.

Aside from that, how much clothing I bring will depend on the weather, and exact selection may only occur on the night.  Probably thermal bib tights, and baggy shorts, a long sleeved YACF jersey, and other layers depending on the forecast temperature.  This could be a short sleeved jersey, thermal base layers, cheap thin Decathlon fleece, GroundEffect Two Timer etc  I'll most likely wear my Shimano MT91 shoes, since they're Goretex lined, so relatively wind and waterproof.  If I get the chance I'm going to get some flexible gaiters to seal the tops a bit, but it'll all depending on whether I can find anything suitable.

Aside from that, obviously the normal junk of lights, spare lights, spare spare lights, spare batteries (AA and AAA), GPS, camera, D-Lock & cable lock, mitts and/or gloves (depending on temperature), fleece hat (only if forecast to be very very cold).  If they arrive in time, I may bring a set of spare spare spare lights, but based on the forecast arrival, there will probably be a card at home when I get back (I intend to use these for people whose lights have failed, since they don't need a permanent attachment on the bike).

I'll only be using the one pannier, so can't carry too much stuff.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #374 on: 25 October, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »
I'll only be using the one pannier, so can't carry too much stuff.

;D