Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75311 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #375 on: 25 October, 2010, 07:36:52 pm »
I was going to buy some overshoes, but didn't get round to it, and a sudden financial uncertainty from last week means I'm loathe to spend more just now. I may wear some long socks, and perhaps improvise some wooly overshoes from some cheap socks that I can cut holes in for the cleats.  I seem to remember that once we were in the hilly stuff last time, my feet were perfectly warm.

Arch:- I've a pair of overshoes, size 6-7ish, that are to small for my sandals.
If you think they'll fit, I bring them for you.

I'll bring biscuits, fig rolls and cookies, and I'll have room for a couple of liters of water.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #376 on: 25 October, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »
Tim's magic pannier :)

« Reply #377 on: 25 October, 2010, 07:45:49 pm »

I'll only be using the one pannier, so can't carry too much stuff.

That's some pannier!

Tigerbiten, thanks for the offer. My feet are 5s, and I gather overshoes are usually a bit mean fitting, so 6ish might work.  It's all a bit confusing, looking at the Shimano shoe size charts.

If you're happy to bring them, I'm happy to give them a try (and carry them if they prove un-useful)

But I might bring some suitably gothic plastic bags and rubber bands too, thanks for the tip Kim. It's the warmth, more than waterproofing, I'm after.

I'll have my own extra water, plastic beaker etc.  Sounds like I don't need to bring a stove/fuel?

If it looks like being anything like yesterday/today temperaturewise, the Foska jacket might get an outing, which would be fab.  But any warmer, I'll have to stick with the beat up yellow Endura.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #378 on: 25 October, 2010, 07:48:34 pm »
It sounds like a lot, but actually it's not too much.  Most of the clothes I'll wear, the only clothes which will go in the pannier are gloves, an extra layer of jersey/fleece/whatever and my waterproof top.  The lights, water & GPS all go on the bike, and the tools are surprisingly compact.  Food is one of the bulkier and heavier items, but that's because I tend to bring more than enough to cover any eventualities.  Running out of carbs could be a big issue for me (serious hypoglycaemia can be dangerous, and at a minimum will be annoying for the rest of you whilst I wait for my blood sugar level to rise enough that I don't fall off my bike!)... which reminds me, a glucometer!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #379 on: 25 October, 2010, 09:30:47 pm »
I'll be bringing a small gas stove & 1l pan, folding mug & will probably start with 2l of water. A thermos of coffee and a hip flask may also make an appearance  :P

Not sure if I'll be bringing the Rohloffed Nomad or the Orbit Routier. Both use 26" tubes so I'll bring my own. Tools, lights, spare batteries etc.

First aid kit , primaloft top for stops or if anyones feeling really cold. Would an emergency bivi bag be overkill ?

Clothing will be fleecy tights and either multiple layers on top, or the Purple People Eater, if I'm feeling nesh.  Sandals with Sealskinz on the feet.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CrinklyLion

« Reply #380 on: 25 October, 2010, 10:16:06 pm »
I'm planning a rack pack.  Spare tube, spare batteries, the dooberry for the security skewers and my miniscule bag of tools, a not-very-waterproof, probably some paracetemol and some brufen and a cafe lock.  Bottle of water in my solitary bottle cage.

I have bought some (checks what they were again) '3 season Biking Tights' from Corrinne Dennis, so unless it's particularly balmy the 3/4s might get to stay at home.  I might actually wear something with sleeves under my fleece, two pairs of socks and break out the full finger gloves - the amazing expandable Topeask rack pack does have hidden storage capacity if I need to stow layers.

And a not insignificant quantity of cake that I fully intend to palm off on other, faster, people.

« Reply #381 on: 25 October, 2010, 10:22:44 pm »
I'll have at least one Super C pannier - so I'll have my stove, some milk, and capacity for extra water (though by the sounds of things, that'll be complete overkill :)).

« Reply #382 on: 26 October, 2010, 06:14:38 am »
I havent planned what Im bringing yet, probably a single pannier or a rack pack, although I should find out from my boss today about if he wants this meeting on Friday  ( fingers crossed he doesnt) .   I reckon it'll take me 10 minutes to get planned and packed anyway cos most of the stuff I'll bring is either ready for use or easily to hand.

« Reply #383 on: 26 October, 2010, 07:51:49 am »
I'll be bringing whatever happens to be in the pannier at the time. On the Scarborough ride that happened to include a map of Norway, (just in case the navigational malfunction is kind of major)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #384 on: 26 October, 2010, 09:20:15 am »
I shall be spending today packing and re-packing my pannier, so shall be carrying batteries (AAA, AA and 18650), a litre of hot lukewarm water in a flask (which will speed up the coffee making), Starbucks Via coffee, spare clothing and tools/tubes (700Cx28-35mm, as I will be on the Dave Yates).

Ligthing wise I will have 4 front lights (yes 4!!!), a SAIK, 2*MTE and a Cateye single shot, along with 2*rear lights and my Exelite (oooo flashing blueness :) )

Anything else will be taken care of by a wadge on cash in my wallet, hopefully.....

I *may* have space to carry cake again....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #385 on: 26 October, 2010, 04:57:33 pm »
There is now a possibility that I will not be able to attend.When I know for sure I will post again.

I cannot now attend.
I hope you all have a really enjoyable night&day & shall look forward to reading the ride reports.

« Reply #386 on: 26 October, 2010, 05:01:19 pm »
Sorry to hear that, jogler.  There' ll be other rides.

« Reply #387 on: 26 October, 2010, 05:04:59 pm »
The Weather is looking a little indifferent at the moment, although the forecast is liable to change up to the last moment!

(Forecast for Whitby from XCWeather).

« Reply #388 on: 26 October, 2010, 05:08:46 pm »
The Weather is looking a little indifferent at the moment, although the forecast is liable to change up to the last moment!

(Forecast for Whitby from XCWeather).

Good god, according to that the wind really might start to turn and drop during the return leg.  That can't be right surely?  If it happens, I might have to find religion or something...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #389 on: 26 October, 2010, 05:54:47 pm »
That looks alright to me - damp, but mild and with a tailwind.  Two outta three ain't bad.

Still, it's far too early to trust these things.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #390 on: 26 October, 2010, 06:03:26 pm »
There's, realistically, bugger all chance of the cub and I camping in whitby this week so no chance of a recce of the trains or early opening cafes. Sorry.

« Reply #391 on: 26 October, 2010, 06:06:17 pm »
No worries.  We'll play it by ear!  There'll be something open - Goths are supposed to be Creatures of the Night, after all.

You're still going away, though, CL?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #392 on: 26 October, 2010, 06:13:46 pm »
Dunno at the mo. Bit complicated.

« Reply #393 on: 26 October, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »
pfft, weatheronline says southerly gusts of upto 50mph. Flipping heck.

Dunno if I'll make it. Have permission from swmbo, but friend informed me it took him 2 days from recovering from what the hospital are doing to me tomorrow. (shoving a camera up my willy)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #394 on: 27 October, 2010, 12:12:30 am »
I'm becoming increasingly lacking in optimism about this ride.   :(

I did 43km this afternoon.  My knee started feeling a bit iffy about 20k in, and was aching (though not very painfully) for most of the last 10k.  That was with me taking it slow and steady, with several stops to rest it.  It's still achy and objecting to stairs now.

That's after precision jibbling of the bike geometry (the boom had rotated slightly in the crash, but not by enough to account for this), and without any lycra compressing the knee joint.  Which I reckon makes it unambiguously an injury, and only time will help.  The only other thing I can try is riding my Dawes again.  Assuming my elbow is up for it.  Maybe the upright position will make a difference, but I'm not optimistic.

Realistically, I see myself getting to Pickering without too much trouble, then suffering horribly and going at a snail's pace for the rest of the ride (which helpfully includes all the climbing).  That's without considering the journey back.  Fneh!

« Reply #395 on: 27 October, 2010, 09:36:28 am »
Unless your upwrong miraculously solves all your knee problems, it sounds like you're going to be far better off letting you knee rest for a few days (or weeks).  I suspect abandoning on this ride is going to be a lot harder than it was on the FNRttC, given the lack of running trains.  It's a bugger, but there will be other rides, and several hours of agonising slow riding would be far from fun, to put it lightly. :(

I've got a very slight snuffle, but it's not much different than I had to do the FNRttC, and it didn't effect me then, so I don't think that's going to cause me any problems, luckily.

(I've updated the attendance list on Page 19).

« Reply #396 on: 27 October, 2010, 09:52:53 am »
What Tim said.   No use knackering yourself any further. If riding hurts then don't ride.

BTDTGTTS  :(     You know you're in trouble when you get Christmas cards from your private physio...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #397 on: 27 October, 2010, 10:08:53 am »
I'd keep the strain off the knee and get well sooner rather than risk it and buggering it up compleatly.

I went on a fifty mile ride on monday just to check my knees where ok after the FNRttC as one was hurting like mad at the end of it.
Happy to say everything is working ok.
So just a short ride today, ~20 miles, then nothing untill the ride.

See you in the new year prob.

Luck ............ :D

« Reply #398 on: 27 October, 2010, 12:45:00 pm »
Unless your upwrong miraculously solves all your knee problems, it sounds like you're going to be far better off letting you knee rest for a few days (or weeks).

This ^^^^^

As a recent sufferer of knee problems, my experience says rest is the best cure.  I know its a shame to miss the ride, but there'll be others, but you only have one knee  ( well, you've got two, but you know what I mean ;D)

« Reply #399 on: 27 October, 2010, 12:52:14 pm »
Right!

At the moment I am a possible, but not particularly likely participant.   I have to be in Coventry early on Friday, but cant mitigate the early start by staying over the night before because of other plans for Thursday.  That means a silly early start and about 7 hours driving in total by the time I get home Friday evening.
Without factoring in the very long day and sleep issues, the time I am likely to get home possibly makes the logistics of getting to York awkward.
My turning up depends really on getting away at a reasonable time, so I get home early enough for an hours kip and a lift through to York.   I wont know until we finish, as its the kind of meeting that could be 3 hours or 12 hours long :(

Will post on here when it becomes clear